something so silly made me upset

Discussion in 'General Education' started by cheer, Feb 27, 2011.

1. cheer

cheer Comrade

Feb 27, 2011

Ok I know what I am about to say is soo silly but it is still bothering me. I was in charge(brainstormed and executed) the penny wars at our school. I even spent my own money for a trophy for the winners of the fundraiser. I kicked the whole event off in a fun way. Well we ran into a slight problem when Icalled the bank to prepare them for all the change we were bringing. (thank God I called first) The bank would not take rolled coins (we had both rolled and loose change) I was floored! I never heard of a bank not taking money anyway.. I called another bank which our school deals with. They said they would take the rolled but not the loose. So this ment I would have to take the tons of change to 2 banks. NOt fun! So a women who works at our school who has helped out with alot of our events said she would get some other staff members to roll the loose change so I would not have to go to 2 banks. NICE right! We had an event planned for Monday to announce the winner of the trophy and present a door banner. Well this women decided on Friday to call an assembly and announce the winner. I found out when an admin. said she wanted us in the Gym. I was Pi**ed . She didnt bother to ask if it was ok. RUDE! The door banner wasnt there for her to present (she didnt know there was a banner..because she didnt ask)Ok now I know its all about the kids but who is she to make such a call? I couldnt say anything because classes were all ready in the gym. NOW its Sunday evening and this is still bothering me. Do I say something or try and get over it? She does have a habit of over stepping her bounds. Sorry so long but I need advice.

3. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Feb 27, 2011

That wasn't silly...it was outright wrong. I appreciate her willingness to help, but a little communication on her part was in order. Why did she want to announce it before the event planned for Monday? And you knew nothing about it? Wow. :(

And a last minute assembly? How did that go over with the rest of the faculty?

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 27, 2011

What position does this woman work in? It is very odd that she'd be able to decide for herself to hold an assembly. That wouldn't work at our school.

I know this wasn't the main issue you posted about, but one thing you could have done to solve the problem of banks not taking the coins would be to have taken them to a Coinstar machine or something similar. They're all over the place, mostly in grocery stores and Walmarts. You just dump your change in and it gives you a receipt that you take to the register and exchange for cash. You can do that next time to save yourself some grief.

5. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Feb 27, 2011

My thoughts exactly! The last minute thing would never fly at my school.

Is it worth saying something? That you need to decide.

6. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Feb 27, 2011

Coinstar takes, what, ten percent of the money unless you choose gift certificates? I'd hate to see that much of the donations be spent on counting. I wonder if they have free services for these circumstances?

7. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Feb 27, 2011

That was wrong of her to do....I would be very upset also..

8. deeceekids

deeceekids Companion

Feb 27, 2011

I would have been mad to if I was in the same boat. Have you talked with the woman to see why she decided have a last minute assembly the way she did? I also wondered what the rest of the staff thought of it. Was anyone overly disappointed by how she handled the situation other than you?

9. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 27, 2011

I'm not sure if they'd offer free services for educational purposes. It might be worth asking about. In any case, depending on what that money was meant to be used for, there are so many gift card options that I bet something would have worked out. You can buy practically anything at Amazon, and I think that's one of the options. I think it would probably be worthwhile to avoid the aggravation, time, and expense of having to buy your own rolling papers (haha) and roll your own coins.

10. cheer

cheer Comrade

Feb 27, 2011

No one was more upset than I was because I had so much of my time vested.This women is an administrator/clerk to our daycare building but she helps the academy out alot. This is why I am torn about saying something. (even though she overstepped her bounds)

We are a small school so a last minute assembly would be a matter of 50 students. She totally didnt think of the fact we might be busy teaching! It was the last 15 min of the day but still.

I learned alot about how to handle the rolled coins for next year. We only rolled because we didnt want to pay the 9 percent fee for the machine and we thought we were helping the bank. We also rolled to keep track of the class totals which would ignite the kids to keep going with the war. TD bank has a free coin machine so we will not roll the money next year. I learned alot as you always do with 1st time fundraisers. LOL The money is to go towards our end of the year extravaganza (sp?) , awards ceremony, and AR prizes.

11. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Feb 27, 2011

For my own peace of mind I would have to say something to her. She deserves to know that she is a jerk.

12. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 27, 2011

I'd probably leave it alone. Sometimes it's better to keep the peace than to let everyone know that you were right and the other person was wrong.

13. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Feb 27, 2011

If it were me, I would probably try to talk to her about it but not in an outright I'm-angry-at-you way. I might innocently ask her did she not realize that there was an assembly planned for Monday with a banner, etc. Or say something like "thanks for trying to help out- but I actually already had the assembly planned!" Maybe even mention that you were really looking forward to it. I think you can get your point across without coming off as if you are just trying to start an argument. If it's bothering you this much, and it sounds like this woman does things like this a lot, it would at least make you feel better if not change her behavior also.

14. cheer

cheer Comrade

Feb 27, 2011

I think I will as nicely as I can talk to her about it. She probably doesnt even know how upset I am. I will just say something like..Can I talk to you please in private? You know I really appreciated your help with the money counting on Friday, thank you. I was a little upset with the fact you called an assembly when if you would have asked you would have known that we planned an assembly for monday. I put a lot of time and effort into this project and I feel like you totally disregarded that . It would have been a better situation if you would have asked if it was ok. Ohh I dont know maybe I am still angry and will say something wrong. We will see tomorrow. I pretty much know I am going to say something to her. SHe really does need to be called out on her behavior. On a side note she also ticked another teacher off by taking down her class science projects and giving them to the kids to take home. All without asking the teacher. Good thing she had them graded and didnt want to do anything else with the projects!

15. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Feb 27, 2011

Personally, I wouldn't say anything, only because that's my personality. I don't like to make waves, but I don't see anything wrong with you saying something to her if it will give you some peace.

16. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Feb 27, 2011

I might, again might, say something to her like you said you would. (I know that does not make sense, but it's 12:30 on Sunday night and I'm waiting for my clothes to finish washing so I can put them in the dryer and go to bed!)

What I mean is that I'd say "Gee thanks for helping with the coin rolling. I had planned a nice assembly for Monday with a banner and everything." and then see if she says anything after that. I just would have a hard time being confrontative (now why is that misspelled?) because she wasn't being mean-spirited.

Come one, washer! I'm very tired.

Oh, and yes, I'd be very annoyed. What a busybody.

17. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Feb 28, 2011

This would definitely bother me and wouls say something. I would point out that there was already a plan for the announcement. Obviously I would try to say it in a professional manner without upsetting her, but I would make sure that she knows taking charge of someone else's project is not okay.

Some banks/credit unions have coin-star types of machines that do not charge for members. It might be worth looking into. my credit union has one at four of the closest branches which several other staff members belong to as well.

18. jan8293

jan8293 New Member

Mar 1, 2011

Take the high Road

Just Remember everyone is not from the same walk of life. Her social behavior needs some work

19. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Mar 1, 2011

I would be upset too. Especially after all that planning!

On the coins issue: Our bank will not take rolled coins. They've gotten rid of the machines that weigh the rolled coins to make sure they are the right amount. However, they do have a coin counter that you dump all your coins in. If you have any rolled coins you simply break the roll and dump the change in. It then prints a receipt for you to take to the cashier to cash out.

20. cheer

cheer Comrade

Mar 1, 2011

Thank you A to Z friends for giving me the courage to stand up for myself. I did confront her on Moday and she totally had no idea. I stated that if she would have asked then she would have known. She said she was sorry and we have moved passed it. Now, do I think she has the potential to repeat such an act ...yes. I am not confident that she totally gets it but I feel better. Thanks again for all your support.