Something like Khan/Extramath but for reading?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by MsMar, Apr 6, 2013.

1. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Apr 6, 2013

This year my students have been using Khan Academy at home for extra math practice. This past week I found out about Xtramath through a post on here and we have added that in for math fact fluency practice. So, far I like it, but it's only been two days that the students have used it so I'm certainly no expert with it yet.

I'm curious, does anyone know similar sites that focus on reading comprehension/vocabulary/general language arts? I'd love something similar where I can set up my class with an account and have them do additional work on the computers either at home or at school as a center. What I especially like about Khan and Extramath (besides the fact that they're free!) is that I can monitor my students' progress. I can see how often they go on, for how long, and what skills they're proficient in. Something similar for reading would be awesome.

So, if you know of a site that has what I'm looking for, please share! It does need to either be free, or $10 a month at most as I am not looking to spend money (or a lot of money anyway) on this. Thanks!

3. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Apr 6, 2013

Free Rice at www.freerice.com asks questions on Vocabulary words. A student can choose the level or it will automatically get harder or easier depending on whether the student gets the word correct or not.

The great thing about the site is that each time a student gets a word correct ten grains of rice are donated to the poor.

It only has Vocabulary so it probably won't be the only site that you will want for reading.

4. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Apr 6, 2013

Thanks - will check it out! Vocabulary building is definitely a need for my students.

5. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Apr 6, 2013

Freerice has way more than just vocabulary. It has grammar, geography, math, science, and other subjects.