Something is really wrong when...

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Rainbowbird, Sep 1, 2012.

1. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Sep 1, 2012

My teenaged babysitter makes as much as I do substituting.

I am happy to have a job, and lucky that in 30 days I will move to step one and get a retroactive balloon check that will make up for the fact that I am now being paid $70 a day, less than $10 an hour, to teach nineteen students a full curriculum.

Every babysitter in my town charges $10 an hour to babysit. So while I was sitting in PD last week, I made just enough to pay mine to watch my children while I was there.

At least this year I get that retroactive step pay. The district I was in last year didn't even do that.

I'm happy to be teaching and have a foot in the door, but just had to vent. Something is seriously wrong when a high school student can make as much as a teacher with an M.S. for simply sitting two children.

Had to vent--- thank you for listening! Teachers out there, I've been a classroom teacher, and I've been a sub.....subbing is harder in many ways so please find a way to show an underpaid sub that you appreciate them next week!

3. acl1974

acl1974 Companion

Sep 1, 2012

Wow!!! You are the best darn babysitter out there. You not only watch all of those children, but you are helping to prepare them for the future. So sad that substitute teacher pay is so low. Thank goodness you'll get that step increase and retroactive pay though. That will be a good day for you. Good luck with the school year.

4. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Sep 1, 2012

I was at Ruby Tuesday's tonight and my waitress was a second grade teacher. She said that her salary was not enough to support her family and that she has to work a second job to make ends meet. How about that?

Crazy that our priorities are so off in this world.

5. JamieB11

JamieB11 Companion

Sep 1, 2012

The schools I subbed in are $70 a day as well. It wasn't so bad when I was juts daily subbing (not as many responsibilities), but when I was a LTS I made the same amount. I worked SO MANY hours and got paid so little, I had to work two jobs. I know exactly what you mean. It's CRAZY!!

6. ayla

ayla Companion

Sep 2, 2012

I got a great article a few years ago emailed to me... About how much teachers would make if every parent paid $10 or whatever per hour for their kids. It was serious $$$$

7. tonysam

tonysam Comrade

Sep 2, 2012

8. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Sep 3, 2012

Elem. preK---8th, but have only taught k-4.

I am really not complaining about my particular situation. I wanted this job for several reasons, and pulled out of interviews for contracted jobs because this one best met the needs for my family at this point, and I have a good chance for a job next year. My p. put me on the observation schedule and my union president told me that they don't do that with subs unless they are planning on keeping them around.

But my point was really that it is, as another p. put it, a national scandal that subs are paid so poorly. The system could not survive without subs, but per diem subs in particular are really underpaid. The article that tonysam posted is truly frightening.

A high school babysitter should not make as much as a sub!

Last edited: Sep 3, 2012
  9. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Sep 3, 2012

Well, most of their time is spent babysitting, so they shouldn't earn as much as regular teachers who know the material. I agree the pay could be higher. I only earned $85 a day, and after taxes it was only $67.

10. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Sep 7, 2012

Wow! Very nice!:dizzy:
    A LOT of subs are credentialed teachers, who know the material and choose not to babysit, even when that's the kind of plans the regular teacher leaves.

Milsey, I'd really love to know if this personality you portray here is really who you are or you just like to post the stupidest, most ridiculous things to get a rise out of people.
    Sorry for sounding so mean, but this has been a long time coming lol.