Something has been bothering me...

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by JadeCrane, Sep 14, 2008.

1. JadeCrane

JadeCrane Comrade

Sep 14, 2008

Well - not so much bothering - more like worrying...

I have several assignments in advance. What happens when the sub gets sick? I assume one would just call, in my case, the non-automated sub callers and let them know? Anyone know if this is a big problem? Obviously we can't help it if we get sick - but I can see how such a disappointment might make some angry? Anyone ever have to do this and had negative repercussions?

3. scooter503

scooter503 Comrade

Sep 14, 2008

When I was still subbing I once got the terrible flu over the weekend. I was scheduled to sub Monday-Wednesday for one teacher, but couldn't even leave the bathroom Sunday afternoon. I called the principal at home (small district, no automated system). She found a different sub for Monday and told me to call her Monday to see if I was up to the other two days. I wasn't. While they were really nice about it, I did go 3 months without working in that district again. Not sure if the two events are related, but what could I do...I wasn't even eating solid foods and couldn't get myself to get out of bed.

I have also gone to a sub job feeling miserable, only to have the principal and secretary tell me to go back home. They found someone else to come in for me. Of course, I had worked a lot at this particular school and had a great relationship with the staff.

4. JadeCrane

JadeCrane Comrade

Sep 14, 2008

This is the sort of thing I am worried about. It is not like you can help being sick - mind you, I am rarely sick. But it has been a long time since I have been exposed to so many kids. I would also feel terrible bringing something INTO a school.

I guess I will see what happens if I get sick. It will tell me a lot about the kind of district we have here, the "corporate culture" so to speak...

Anyone else have any experience with this kind of thing?

5. stepka

stepka Comrade

Sep 14, 2008

I got the flu once and called the sub secretary and asked what I should do if the sub is sick too. She told me it happens sometimes and they just get another sub. They realize that we are human too and I continued to work for the district with no repercussions. Meanwhile I'm taking whole food vitamins and missed the bad cold that is going around and those vitamins also kept me well when a bad stomach virus went around at the camp I volunteered at this past summer.

6. CarrieB

CarrieB Companion

Sep 14, 2008

I would say just don't make it a habit and cancel the job early enough, so they can find a replacement. Unfortunately that's hard to do without the automated system (you could cancel the job the night before if you are really sick - instead of waiting for an actual person to be in the office to answer the phone). The secretaries at my one of my old schools used to blacklist subs that canceled after 6:30 in the morning (we started at 7:15).

7. kinderkc

kinderkc Companion

Sep 14, 2008

I am subbing as well and although this hasnt happened to me yet i am nervous about this week. I might have an interview for a fulltime position causing me to have to cancel some prearranged jobs. I think both teachers would be understanding since they know finding a job is a first priority for me right now.

I guess just try and call as soon as you start feeling ill. Orrr you might call and warn them try and go in and see how you feel. They might just be nice and say go ahead and stay home...we dont want to risk it. Or at least that is what i would say.:)

8. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Sep 14, 2008

I have dealt with this as a sub and a temp. Honestly, if I had an assignment I didn't like, I would call in sick, because I knew they would immediately end the job. For example, if I had a real rough group and they said it would be 3-5 days, I wouldn't go back! And I think they knew I was faking, but I didn't care...I would have been sick after 3 days with that group!

Also, as a temp secretary, I have taken 1-2 week assignments, and then got calls for interviews or better jobs. So, I called in sick, and they took me off the job. Even if I went on the interview and didn't get the job, it was a risk I had to take. That's why I asked for short term, day-to-day assignments. So if they got mad, I just let them, because I told them I was looking for work, and didn't want long term assignments.

I really hated it when I got called for jury duty, because that instantly killed a job!

And, if my child became sick, I had to call in sick. Nobody would understand if I said my child was sick, it was just not acceptable...they expected me to work anyway, and find somebody else to care for her. :unsure:

I think as long as you don't make it a habit, a pattern, or do it too often, they should understand that we are all human, and do get sick..and play hooky as well. If you get a call for a class and you know you don't want it, say so. I tell them which grades I would not take, but never which teacher I will not take. They figure it out. Believe me, they know afterawhile.

That's why I signed up for more than one agency, and several districts. I did not depend on all my work to come from just one place.

9. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Sep 14, 2008

also, once I had a sub assignment, and left out on my lunch break to pick up my Christmas basket from my daughter's PTA. We really needed that basket, and the $50 gift certificate! And that was the only day I could get it. I came back late, and the princpal was ticked off! He had placed the lunchroom supervisor in my room! Told me he already signed me out, and I could go home! The kids were really rowdy, and they were sad because they thought I didn't like them I felt bad, and said, "can I at least go get my papers off of the desk, I left the teacher some notes." He said yes, and the kids saw me and got all excited. "Oh oh...she's back-she's back, we are sorry, we will behave!" The princpal nodded his head, turned away, and left. I guess he felt bad too, and so I stayed the rest of the day! But that was close! I never ever ran errands again on my lunch break while subbing!

10. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Sep 15, 2008

If you make the commitment to substitute for a teacher, it is your professional responsibilitiy to be there and do the job.

However, a substitute teacher gets sick (or has a child that gets sick or has a true family emergency), just like any other person. I have found that schools understand that. You will need to notify them just as soon as you can, so that another substitute teacher can be secured.

A couple of years ago, a principal asked me to substitute for one of the teachers at his school - and I agreed. On the night before the job, I got violently ill with a stomach/intestinal flu bug! I was completely unable to leave the house.

I got onto Aesop (the computer system that is used for substitutes) and cancelled the job. When I cancelled the job, the job was posted for other substitute teachers to accept.

When I felt a bit better, I emailed the principal and told him why I didn't make it to his school that day - and that I hoped I could sub at his school some other time. He emailed back - "These things happen sometimes." I continue to sub frequently at this school.

11. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Sep 15, 2008

When I subbed I would just call the sub caller. Now that district has a automated caller (I think) I would find out the steps. It happens & none of us can control it. I know when I called the sub caller either in the morning like the other teachers or if I knew the nite before I would call. Never was that big of a deal.

I was actually called at 7:30 am (school started at 8:20) & I lived about 20mins away. I got called to come in right away because the teacher got a flat on the was to work.

As they say it happens!!! I use to worry about it to...but after the first time I had to cancel (not that I did it often) it made me feel a whole lot better!!! LOL!!!

12. Sagette

Sagette Companion

Sep 15, 2008

I wouldn't worry too much about it! Like other posters have said, stuff happens! Most school districts do understand and to be honest, I wouldn't want a permanent job in a district that doesn't.

13. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Sep 15, 2008

And... I would never mean any disrespect to anyone or any district. I wasn't at liberty to play hooky! I needed every assignment I could get. But I do know that some folks do that from time to time.

I needed a sub my assistant in one job, and nobody showed, or called! I was lucky to have a few parents to stay for the day!

14. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 15, 2008

Teachers, the sub-calling personnel, etc. should all know that subs get sick too & that unexpected things pop up. When subs originally accept a job, but can no longer do it, no one should look at that as a negative mark on the sub's record. I've been subbing for quite a long time & I've had to back out of a job once or twice. I've never had anything negative said or done to me because of it.