Someone tell me not to worry about work...

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by 1stGradeRocks, Nov 21, 2012.

1. 1stGradeRocks

1stGradeRocks Comrade

Nov 21, 2012

So I had brought a ton of stuff home to work on for work since I am off this whole week. However, I just want to spend time with my family. My mom had hip replacement surgery today and will be coming home from the hospital tomorrow. Then, last night, my brother and sister-in-law surprised us and came home for Thanksgiving from across the country. I just want to spend time with my family and enjoy Thanksgiving, but in the back of mind I keep wondering when I'm going to get all of my stuff for work done. I need someone to convince me to not worry about work.

3. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Nov 21, 2012

I did the same thing! I brought a ton of grading that really does need to get done home, plus units that need to be rewritten/adjusted, and movie permission forms to complete. But our curriculum person stopped in my classroom just hours before break and told me not to stress over it all because it was my break as well. SO, I have everything here but I am being stingy and doing my own thing. My kids are not coming home from college for Thanksgiving as they are coming home in 2 weeks for Christmas. So I am relaxing because I FEEL I owe myself and my students a well rested and relaxed teacher when we return to school.

4. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Nov 21, 2012

Put your work in your closet.

Enjoy your vacation.

VACATION.

Not teacher work day!

5. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Nov 21, 2012

That is one of the hard things about teaching - there is ALWAYS something to do. Put it down and don't worry about it

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 21, 2012

It's all about balance....find time for family and for what you have to do.

7. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Nov 21, 2012

I did most of my work the past 3 days. Starting from tomorrow onward, I'll be on vacation until Saturday when I should start thinking about what we're doing next week. @_@

8. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Nov 21, 2012

I worked hard last weekend so I could leave everything at school.

9. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Nov 21, 2012

When I take things home, I make sure to limit myself so I'm not working all the time. There are always things to do, but it's all about prioritizing.

10. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Nov 21, 2012

I was going to say if you're not together until lunch/dinner time... try to get some stuff done in the mornings, then you could have the day with them. I bet you'll get more done in a shorter time because you're working towards something instead of just working.

Take time and enjoy the family!!! They need your attention too!!!

11. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Nov 21, 2012

I am not working at all this week. I am visiting my family in another state and I purposely didn't bring anything back with me. I was trying to talk myself out of checking my e-mail when I saw this thread, haha. Even with none of my work stuff with me I still feel like I should be doing something!

12. Go 4th

Go 4th Habitué

Nov 21, 2012

Enjoy your family this week!!! Your mom will need you, your family isn't there often, and the school stuff can wait. Go ahead and plan a day or so next week to stay late a couple of hours to get it done. Having a plan might help you relax. :)

13. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Nov 22, 2012

My motto is: if I died tomorrow, I would be replaced at my school. If I died tomorrow, my family could never replace me.

It is all about priorities. My family comes first. The rest will get done when it gets done.

14. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Nov 22, 2012

You really do need to set yourself limits and know that making your family a priority is the right thing to do. So, spend time with your family guilt free. :)