Someone tell me everything will be ok

Discussion in 'General Education' started by 1stGradeRocks, Feb 2, 2015.

1. 1stGradeRocks

1stGradeRocks Comrade

Feb 2, 2015

I've lost my voice and am very stressed about it. We are supposed to be having observations at some point this week. I'm also getting a new student tomorrow. It's just really bad timing to lose my voice. It's going to be a long week! :(

3. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Feb 2, 2015

Will you admin be understanding about losing your voice? They should be. Maybe you won't have your observation. Buddy the new student up with a responsible student who can show them the ropes. Monday is already over. You'll be okay!

4. 1stGradeRocks

1stGradeRocks Comrade

Feb 2, 2015

I hope they will be understanding. They've never come in to observe me when I haven't had a voice though. You're right - I already made it through Monday. :) Anyone have any tips for getting 1st graders to listen when you can't talk?

5. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Feb 2, 2015

EGBOK (Everythings Gonna Be OK)

6. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Feb 2, 2015

I lost my voice once when a big district suit person was coming in to see how a pilot program was running in my room. I had about 36 K-5 SPED kids that year. We used small dry erase boards to communicate and the kids pretended that they had lost their voices, also. It sure was a quiet few days! The kids did great and the suit was impressed.

7. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Feb 2, 2015

Do you have a projector hooked up to a computer?

By now you have enough readers in first grade that if you make a word document with a large font, project it on the screen they can choral read anything you need to tell them.

I've done it. It works.

I generally use the choral reading of the "jumbotron" as I call it, for a lot of things even when my voice is working just fine.

8. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Feb 2, 2015

I have a friend who, when she lost her voice, had one of her better readers "be her voice" for the day or so that she couldn't speak. She wrote things down and had the student read it for the class (which the student LOVED).
    Seconding the idea to type stuff big on the screen for the class to read together so everyone is involved!

9. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Feb 3, 2015

I type on the laptop and project it. With choral reading my strong firsties can get the others by.
    Read alouds can be done with YouTube videos.
    My kids tend to be quieter and better behaved when I can't talk, so maybe that will even be a good thing!

10. 1stGradeRocks

1stGradeRocks Comrade

Feb 3, 2015

Thank you guys for the encouragement and tips! :) My new student is well behaved and he can read. So that's a relief. :D Now I just have to get through picture day tomorrow. I'm hoping my voice comes back before the end of the week.

11. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Feb 4, 2015

This is what I do in my classroom every day, actually. I have a Smart board that I don't really use- it's just a fancy projector- since I have a touchscreen and can write on my laptop screen. But I type up a slide that tell the kids what to take out, what to write down as their homework, and what the lesson goal will be. I have the agenda of what we're doing written on the whiteboard next to my desk. I try to make the time students are unpacking as quiet as possible and to show students they can prepare themselves independently too. (Some years this works better than others- my 3rd graders are still really struggling. Better since Sept but I have a few that still just sit there and don't move until I remind them about the slide. Kind of scary...)

I've lost my voice before and the students have been very understanding of it. They know they need to be extra quiet on those days. They've seen how my voice is affected when I have to talk loudly- but the end of the class I can barely make any sound at all.

If your admin comes in to observe unannounced, I would keep doing what you're doing- don't strain your voice, but then either talk to them or send an email to give them a heads up about your voice.

It happens to most teachers- thankfully I'm in my 7th year of teaching and it happens a lot less for me now.