Someone should put a stop to this propaganda

Discussion in 'General Education' started by schoolteacher, Jul 23, 2010.

1. schoolteacher

schoolteacher Habitué

Jul 23, 2010

My daughter will be a high school senior this year, and has been receiving a lot of mail from colleges. Caldwell College put out a brochure that states:

Teach math and science! Nationally, the demand for teachers in science and mathematics is overwhelming. To help address this shortage, we offer a five-year education degree.

This is very misleading. While math and science teaching careers offer better opportunities for jobs than other teaching fields, to say that there is an overwhelming shortage is deceptive.

I've seen other examples of this in the literature from colleges, but this one was blatant and irresponsible. In this economy, many prospective students will read that and think they will have an excellent chance of being hired. Of course, we can't predict what will happen five years from now, but they should present this in a more realistic light.

3. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Jul 23, 2010

Oh no! That's too bad. I think the teacher "shortage" is probably based on national averages. I know many rural communities where I live have a very hard time recruiting teachers.I'm in Arizona, and I personally in 10 years of education have yet to come across a teacher friend or coworker who hasn't found a teaching job. It's is only from being a member of this forum for many years that I know of others who have had a hard time finding teaching positions. I'm not saying it doesn't happen here, I just haven't personally met anyone who has had a hard time.

4. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jul 23, 2010

I agree, it's irresponsible, there may be a small percentage of areas where there's a shortage but for the most part it's difficult to find a job.

5. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Jul 23, 2010

And if you're talking about Caldwell College in NJ there is definitely no shortage of teachers here.

6. XOEmmyLouOX

XOEmmyLouOX Rookie

Jul 23, 2010

They say the same thing about many career paths such as nursing. I am a nurse right now, and the only shortage is one of jobs. :rolleyes: Yet these false statements are made over and over again. I have to say I don't know of any career right now that has a significant "shortage" due to our current economy.

7. punchinello

punchinello Comrade

Jul 23, 2010

By using the word 'nationally', they can present it as a truthful statement.

I read an article the other day about how baby boomers will be retiring over the next few years. My daughter sure hopes they're right. :)

8. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 23, 2010

There are a lot of teachers on this board that hope their right!

9. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Jul 23, 2010

The July issue of Time magazine talks about the US is behind in this area. I don't have it handy at the moment but will look for it to post some of the stats & facts about how the US is doing in comparison to the rest of the world. It was alarming to see that R & D allocation continues to decrease while other countries are putting more $$$. Also, last week the Dallas Morning News had an article that talks about a shortage of nurses of about 71,000 by 2012 in TX. They were blaming a shortage of teachers to teach in this field.

10. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 23, 2010

I have been told for close to 10 years how everyone will be retiring and there will be jobs.
    Michigan's governor initiated a large state-wide buy out type deal. I was told about how all the jobs would open. In a 4 county radius from my hometown, there has been exactly TWO elementary openings- both preK and neither full time. There have been about 10 middle school openings, but all are Spanish or require a combo with Language Arts. I am certified math and social studies. (I was up in the air on whether to do LA or social studies and my college counselor pointed out that almost everyone is LA and it is oversaturated. I went with SS. Biggest mistake EVER!)

11. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jul 24, 2010

At the same time, there are currently 181 openings listed in my district, and it's three weeks until school starts here. That's not counting any last many openings after final counts are done! The openings are in all variety of fields, about evenly mixed between special and regular ed, elementary, middle, and high school, and ELA, math, science, and social studies. There are openings in art, music, and foreign languages. The school where I teach hired a teacher with no experience who will be starting an alt cert program this year! Parts of my state are recruiting internationally! There is a real teacher shortage here!

12. CaliforniaGold

CaliforniaGold Rookie

Jul 24, 2010

I wish it were true in California! It really is misleading, the shortage in Science does not exist, even nationally I would have a hard time believing it.

13. SashaBear

SashaBear Companion

Jul 24, 2010

No shortage in Indiana!

14. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Jul 24, 2010

I agree it is irresponsible. I know that in Georgia right now the unemployment rate is back up to being over 10%.

15. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Jul 24, 2010

They said the same thing about special ed and I believed them. I couldn't find any special ed positions besides emotional support.

16. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 24, 2010

I agree it is misleading as are some of the loan forgiveness programs. That said, we start school is just several days and we need a few teachers still...and we are not a big district.

17. Mrs.Schwartz

Mrs.Schwartz Rookie

Jul 24, 2010

In Dallas there are huge billboards that say "Want to teach? When can you start?" advertising for an alt-cert program online. I would get so furious at these billboards because I was desperately job searching and failing miserably! When we were coming up to one on the highway my husband would say, "Hunny, that billboard is coming up, look away!"

18. heymiss

heymiss Comrade

Jul 24, 2010

I just mentioned this yesterday in another thread. I yelled at those billboards all last summer. They are so misleading and annoying and insulting to those who are looking for teaching jobs.

19. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jul 24, 2010

If anyone is in Louisiana looking or willing to move, there are a lot jobs listed. Many are in the Recovery School District which would be a challenging place to work. I know some of our larger school districts have been bringing in large numbers of teachers from other countries. There are 186 jobs listed right now.

http://www.teachlouisiana.net/recruitment/joblist.asp?PageID=403

20. ms.

ms. Comrade

Jul 24, 2010

There is no shortage of science teachers in the Northwest either! Although, there is a shortage of H.S. math teachers. The school I'm at now is trying to fill two math openings. It's been a month and they have only had one licensed applicant apply!

21. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Jul 24, 2010

There are not shortages in the Upper Midwest either. I did end up going back to school to get a SPED cert. and was able to land job, but that was before the economy tanked and before politicians and others thought it was cool to bash teachers. To play devil's advocate on the science teaching...If I am a scientist, who can work on finding a cure for some disease or make a lot of money in a science field, why on earth would I want to sit in a classroom all day and deal with a bunch of snot-nosed kids, who don't want to be there and also receive a fraction of the pay I could get elsewhere? Which is really the better career path?

22. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

23. Teacher_Lyn

Teacher_Lyn Companion

Jul 24, 2010

I agree -- it depends on where you live. My friend from New York had to leave because she and her hubby had an impossible job finding a teaching job there. In D.C. they just let go of over 200 teachers

24. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Jul 24, 2010

My college is pushing for math and science majors especially as a second major for education majors. They are really starting to push it.
    When I started the push for an education majors second major was psych (I did not take their advice), two years later it was highly recommended you did not second major in psych- they actually changed it so you could not second major in psych because it was so overloaded. Yeah- now the push is on math and science overwhelmingly.

25. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Jul 24, 2010

Definitely no jobs, not with our current Governor Christie, who is on a personal vendetta to decimate public education along with his Comm. of Education! I agree that the colleges do not have a finger on the pulse of what is happening in all areas of education at this time.