Someone said this to me today:

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by Rachel W, Aug 4, 2011.

1. Rachel W

Rachel W New Member

Aug 4, 2011

My child is terrible; I can't wait for them to go to school and get them off my hands. Really? Since when do we have to be the parents AND the teachers?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 4, 2011

Wow. Since always...parents are their chidren's first teachers. SO sorry yours presents such a difficult challenge to you. My babies are now 21 and 25 years old and I wish I could have slowed those days home with them when they were small. You're going to miss these days.:blush:

Ok..just realizing someone said this TO you...I still would say the same to that person though.

4. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Aug 4, 2011

Well, if he is indeed "terrible" at least you won't be dealing with a mom who thinks he farts rainbows.

In other words, better that than a mom who claims her little monster does no wrong.

And from my experience, when parents say stuff like that, their kids usually are not terrible at all.

5. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Aug 4, 2011

:spitwater::toofunny::whistle:

6. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Aug 4, 2011

I've heard that a lot. I had a parent tell me that they wish we had year round school to get the kids off their hands and to cut back on sitter and daycare costs.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
  7. Joy

Joy Cohort

Aug 4, 2011

I've heard that comment too from parents of preschoolers. It's very sad.

8. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 4, 2011

I'll tell you right now. I'm ready to go back to school so I can get a break from my child. She will be going in to K. I know she won't be terrible in class but she is driving me up the wall at home!! LOL

9. IEDUK8

IEDUK8 Rookie

Aug 4, 2011

The same reason that parents send their children to school with 101 degree fevers coughing up materials that would make Linda Blair squeamish...

We're not only educating their minds... we're babysitting. :)

10. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Aug 4, 2011

The same reason that when we tried to alk to a mom about the behavior of her sons (one in my 3's class, one in the toddler room), she told us "that's why they're coming to school."

11. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Aug 5, 2011

Where are people's filters? Why would someone actually say that! I hope that kid is really good and it is just the mom's management!

12. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Aug 5, 2011

I have heard this too. These parents also hate snowdays and holidays. Why do people bother having kids anyway?? Oh, and they're expensive too! *BIG EYEROLL*

13. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Aug 5, 2011

LOL! "Farts Rainbows" I'm stealing that one!!

I actually sort of feel the same way, but not because my kid(s) are terrible. I can't wait to get them out of my hair so that they aren't reliant on ME as their sole source of entertainment. I am looking forward to the structure and busy-ness of the school year for them.

14. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Aug 5, 2011

I feel so sad for the kids whose parents speak of them this way. Hopes and dreams and aspirations are not going to be too high in the child's mind if the parents are the first to squelch them. I hope that this child is nurtured and has a sense of purpose in your classroom.

15. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 5, 2011

These are probably the kids that NEED to be with us in the classroom!

16. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Aug 5, 2011

My experience, too. If the praise them and say how smart they are look out. If they tell me how bad they are at home they are usually fine at school.

17. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 5, 2011

I hope the child didn't hear the mom say this!

18. Miss84

Miss84 Comrade

Aug 5, 2011

I hear this all.the.time.
    It's really sad that these lazy parents suspect that a teacher is going to take on their role. SMH

19. IEDUK8

IEDUK8 Rookie

Aug 5, 2011

Geez, this brought back a memory from my first year teaching.

I think it was maybe just one week after school had started and Zack's mom ran into me in the school office (where there were many ears around):

Mom: "I hope Zack hasn't given you much trouble. He can be chatty."
    Me: "Well, yeah sometimes he is, but it's the start of the year... we're testing each other out. It's all good."
    Mom: "I just get so frustrated how stupid he is sometimes."
    Me: (stunned silence)
    Pregnant, awkward silence.
    Me: You can't possibly mean that. (It was the first thing that came to my mind... probably could have been more diplomatic as a first year teacher! :p)

Zack, who stood by... just wept, but being a fifth-grade boy, did his best to hide his tears.

Granted, I'm not a parent... but I would PRAY that I'd never FEEL that way about my child, let alone tell another person that in a crowded school office!

20. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Aug 5, 2011

:( I had a student reading 2 full grade levels ahead (in kindergarten) but all his mom ever said was that he wasn't as smart as his brother (who is GT).

21. MandaNicole01

MandaNicole01 Habitué

Aug 6, 2011

This is why I can't wait to get back in the classroom in a few weeks and provide these children with some much needed TLC! This drives me nuts! I can't stand it when I hear parents say things like that! I once explained the self fulfilling prophecy to some parents...I told them that is why their children refer to our classroom as, "The BEST kindergarten class in The United States of America!" :) We talk that way and they do act that way! I encouraged them to try it at home...

22. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 6, 2011

Poor Zack!