Someone leaves during the interview...familiar?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by McKennaL, Aug 4, 2009.

1. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Aug 4, 2009

I have to say that i have interviewed ... ummm...

6 or 7 times in theis district. It's a huge district. The first was a screening interview.. after that it's individual schools.

But I am seeing a strange pattern...adn I am wondering .. what s UP with this?

Screening Interview...
    *Interviewer gets many interrupting calls. He apologizes that something is "up" and he has to handle things. No problem.
    *A Secretary disrupts the interview. No problem.
    *Someone does a very odd Walk-by the window. I lose my train of thought for a moment-apologize and begin where i left off.

Interviews since...
    *During a number of interviews the principal or one of the panel members either excuses themselves in the middle of an answer or arrives suddenly. And often they are seated to the exact right of the interviewee.

This interview:
    The principal (again to my immediate right) announces that "At this point, I'm going to excuse myself. It was nice to meet you." and she's gone. - I would have worried at that point-but the interview continued on very well.
    Secondly...after I answered a question (after the principal left) there was a loud...almost like a balloon fa#ting sound from out in the outer office. You know... when they spread the opening of a balloon wide and it gives off a really obnoxious sound...but this was very loud and somewhat jarring (As far as I knew...there was no one else in the outer office). After if ended I made a little joke about it whatever it was didn't like that answer (and I felt able to joke because it had gone over so well with the panel).

But I could see that that MIGHT have been to check if the candidate could be thrown off balance and unable to compose themselves again.

Could this BE a planned thing? I mean...seriously???? To test a candidates composure? (If I put myself in their shoes...maybe it would be a test I would be curious about... but it actually do it? And for it to be similar at a number of schools in the same district?

Anyone ever been on hiring committees (or close to one) that can tell me if this has merit?

Or has it happened for others during THEIR interviews?

3. MsBee

MsBee Devotee

Aug 4, 2009

Happened to me today. The P kept getting up to go do something right in the middle.

4. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 4, 2009

I would have to call this kind of behavior rude. If this is a new practice in hiring, I am glad that I did not have to go through this. But surely, the job market has not gotten so bad that principals have to go pop a balloon to make sure a teaching candidate can hold onto their composure. I can only hope that the world is not coming to this!:(

5. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Aug 4, 2009

You know what I think about when I hear stories like this? I think of administrators at some conference hearing about how to get a picture of a personality that goes beyond the questions in an interview. Like some fad idea...and then they break and tell each other their interview strategies. Then a light bulb goes off in their heads and they think "ohh I have to try that...I should tell the interview team."

I don't know... :)

6. heymiss

heymiss Comrade

Aug 4, 2009

I hope this isn't the new thing. It seems really rude and awkward.

If a child did it while you were teaching, you'd be expected to discipline him, but if your boss does it, that probably wouldn't be a good idea. So I don't really know what they're expecting. Do they want you to be assertive and call them out on it? Or is it just to see if you get flustered?

7. allisonbeth

allisonbeth Comrade

Aug 5, 2009

I think the coming and going is pretty normal this time of year. Interviewing for one position usually takes the committee an equivalent of one day...it is very tough not to be available for an entire day but some schools may have 5 or 6 openings so it is very tough to give up an entire week!
    I was on a committee that was forced to meet in folding chairs in a gym because the hallways had just been waxed. As we sat there confused people would open up the gym doors (even though we put a sign on it) looking for office staff/ coaches/ people to unlock doors. The bell system was being tested and the principal was pulled away at least three times. We did not plan it however, at that point there was nothing we could do. We needed a teacher to fill the position that started in just over a week.
    Just grin and bear it. Laugh as needed. The committee understands that the situation is not ideal however they also hope that you will be a teacher who can calmly deal with anything.

8. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Aug 5, 2009

The next time that happens to anyone, be sure to point out to the interview committee your ability to continue gracefully despite interruptions, just like you would in the classroom :)

9. sciencegurl

sciencegurl Companion

Aug 5, 2009

I found this hilarious. Maybe the principal just had really bad gas and wanted to get out of the room before this happened?? I can't imagine it was planned, but that's just me:lol:

10. SPECIALEDMAN

SPECIALEDMAN Companion

Aug 5, 2009

I was in an interview where the P left me with a teacher to interview me as she ran in and out of the room at least 10 times. I had the fun of repeating and trying to remember where I left off with her. Truly unprofessional. To top it off, she took a cell phone call and actually sat having a conversation. The teacher loved me and told the P to hire me??

11. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Aug 5, 2009

Did you get the job???

12. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Aug 5, 2009

Do you think unprofessional interviews are indicative of the way the school is run? My interview at my current school was very informal. I was relaxed and knew they liked me from the get go. I was hired and the school is run quite well. The atmosphere is relaxed and inviting, just like my interview was.

13. SPECIALEDMAN

SPECIALEDMAN Companion

Aug 5, 2009

The teacher and the P left the room for about 5 min. and the teacher came back to offer me the position. I think they just wanted a male in this position lol

14. SPECIALEDMAN

SPECIALEDMAN Companion

Aug 5, 2009

Zoe- I feel that if the interview is a 3 ring circus you better learn to juggle or walk on a tightrope because you are now part of the greatest show on earth!! lol I may be wrong in my judgement???

15. Junebug

Junebug Comrade

Aug 5, 2009

The last interview I had (yesterday), the AP got up and left and returned in a few minutes. (there was a death in her family). But the P. kept closing his eyes pretending he was not.

16. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Aug 5, 2009

I haven't had this happen to me, but it sounds like you were able to deal with it fine. Good luck!