Someone from a charter school emailed me about interviewing for a teaching position

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Peachyness, Jan 3, 2011.

1. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jan 3, 2011

I was, and still am, a bit skeptical. I did check out the school and it is indeed a real school. The school was even on the local news show.

I will call him tomorrow during lunch time.

It's for a charter school and they are looking for people with strong mathematics background (they focus on math and science, which is right up my alley!!!). But, it's in a tougher part of the town. And, it's a charter school.

I also have no clue how he knew about me. He wrote my full name and knew I was a fully credentialed teacher.

So, what's it like working for a charter school? Is there a chance to become tenured?

3. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jan 3, 2011

This school was also taken over by the state. What is working for a school that was taken over by the state like? Apparently, they've been making a lot of growth since then. After having worked at low SES schools, I KNOW I would be able to work well at a school like this, but I'm still nervous and skeptical about this school.

4. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jan 3, 2011

Visit the school. Talk to the teachers there. There are good and bad charters just like there are good and bad neighborhood schools. Charters are public schools that are allowed to receive outside funding alongside what they get from the district. They are not private schools. They are part of the local district. There's no reason that it wouldn't be a "real school" or that it would be bad just because it's a charter.

5. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jan 3, 2011

Hmm, yes, that's a good idea about visiting the school. When I call the man back tomorrow, I'll ask about a tour and the chance to observe some classes. I'm sure my principal won't mind my taking a day off to do that.

6. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jan 3, 2011

My new school is a charter school and I actually found the position listed online at Craigslist. I was very sceptical about that, and asked about it at my interview. I haven't started working there yet, but I really like the people I interviewed with. I was planning on asking for time to think about it if offered the position, but I enjoyed the interview enough that I accepted it on the spot. My school is in a tough area also, but with it being so difficult for teachers to find jobs now, I wouldn't turn it down just because of that. Especially without seeing what it's really like there.

Is there a chance someone gave him your name? I agree with meeting with teachers or observing classes.

7. Elocin

Elocin Comrade

Jan 3, 2011

I work at a charter school and we have no tenure. But, at my school at least, they don't automatically boot you after one year if you have low scores, etc. They work with you on goals and improvement plans just like other schools would.

I haven't found working at a charter any different than working at a traditional public school.

8. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jan 3, 2011

There's something to be said for charter schools that are operating for the right reasons. The one you've mentioned sounds like it's trying to turn around a formerly failing public school. They'd want to recruit teachers who are strong in their subject matter and who are experts at intervention. You have both qualities. I have no idea how they found you, though.

On a side note, I don't have tenure available at my charter school. It makes the school work harder to keep me interested in teaching for them. :whistle:

9. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jan 3, 2011

Yeah, they might be struggling with test scores due to their population or something and the school board has stepped in to take a bit more control. Sometimes they require additional prof development and such.

10. DaveG

DaveG Companion

Jan 3, 2011

It depends on your state, but many state boards have their public school teachers listed on their website including credentials, years of teaching, where you teach etc. Possibly they were looking through schools in your area and reviewing certification, experience etc and headhunting.

11. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jan 3, 2011

DaveG, probably.

Well, I called the guy today and left a message. For some reason, I became nervous and began rambling a bit. He has yet to call me back. BLEH! WHYYYYYY can't I talk on the phone with bosses or important people??

Anyways, I don't think I would be a great fit at the school. If he calls me back, I'll give them a shot, but I really am happy at my school and hope that my foot in the door will lead me back to a full time job.

12. isthisrob

isthisrob Rookie

Jan 6, 2011

13. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jan 6, 2011

Yes, I do remember your story. Well, I decided to not go through with it. I am happy in my district (for the most part), I'm working on my science credential so I will have more options in the future, AND I have heard more horror stories than good about working for charter schools.

14. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jan 6, 2011

Hmm...I am glad you have come to a decision. I never realized that charter schools have such bad reputations, but this thread has definitely brought that to my attention.

15. mrsf70

mrsf70 Companion

Jan 9, 2011

I interviewed at a charter school a couple of years ago. The admin. and middle school team were a great bunch of people. Again, a charter depends on the people at each individual school. They are NOT all the same.

16. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jan 9, 2011

I'd like to add another positive note about charter schools, for anyone else who may be thinking about working in one. They are not all the same. The charter schools in our district are part of our school system, follow all of our regulations, and are successful and popular. Just do your due diligence and check these schools out much like you would check out any school that you might be considering working for.