some won't sing!

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by firstgurl85, Sep 12, 2008.

1. firstgurl85

firstgurl85 Companion

Sep 12, 2008

I have a LOT of songs that i use throughout the day for various reasons. I also have a few stubborn children who refuse to participate and just sit and stare at me like i'm a nut. i don't want to force them to do anything but why oh WHY does a 5 yr old not want to sing?

3. Zelda~*

Zelda~* Devotee

Sep 12, 2008

When I taught preschool I had some boys who thought they were too "cool" to sing. I'd tell them it wasn't a choice, and they had to.

Some just flat out wouldn't do it without throwing a fuss fit, but I'd just tell them it wasn't a choice, they had to do it. :D

4. mom2sands

mom2sands Comrade

Sep 12, 2008

I have one of those boys.

But I have another boy who always starts out the days of the week song because for some reason, I can't ever remember how to get it started.

When I subbed last year, I had a kindergarten girl who refused to sing or dance. My kids love it. I play a clean up song after centers every day and they sing while they clean.

5. mdith4him

mdith4him Companion

Sep 12, 2008

I have a couple in my class who don't sing either. One boy just stands there and kinda has this goofy grin on his face. I asked him one day recently why he won't sing with us. His mom had told me that he taught the whole family a complex song we do on the second week of school! He told me that he thinks it's too funny watching everyone and that if he were to do it with us, he would laugh too loud! That was hilarious, but I told him he has to do it with us.

I've told them that they can either stand and sing with us or they can sit in the rest stop (time out). I've sent a couple kids to the rest stop so far and it seems to work okay.

6. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Sep 12, 2008

Some kids don't like to color. To each their own.

7. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Sep 12, 2008

Simple. Sing and I will give you a treat/sticker. Don't sing, no treat or sticker.

8. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Sep 12, 2008

I'm definitely not a primary teacher, but I do know that even at the young age of 5, some kids are just very reserved (as were mine). Some are watchers, some are doers, it's in their character.

9. cosmoteach

cosmoteach Rookie

Sep 14, 2008

This is probably not the best way to deal with it- but right now I just ignore it. I think that maybe the students are just reserved/shy and hopefully they will join in as the year goes on. I praise the children who are singing but do not call attention to the ones who are not (at least not at the beginning of the year).

10. Kat03785

Kat03785 Rookie

Sep 18, 2008

I tell mine that they have to at least stand up with us. If they don't want to do motions or sing they don't have to. Usually if I don't look at them they will start doing the motions but the moment I look at them they stop.

11. lw3teach

lw3teach Companion

Sep 18, 2008

Are you really serious?! Or are you just joking? Extrinsic rewards for singing? I would like to see you get up and sing in front of 20 other adults... oh and if you don't, no paycheck.
    Bet you wouldn't like to be treated like that? Why would you do that to a child?

12. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Sep 18, 2008

I always just say "I'm sorry that you don't want to sing/dance with us, I think it is a lot of fun". Then, I make sure to be extra animated and just move on. I really don't mind if they don't sing/dance every day as long as they do it most days. They are still hearing the words each day and learning. As long as they aren't bothering anyone else or actively NOT participating, why does it matter/

13. AFWifeNGermany

AFWifeNGermany Rookie

Sep 23, 2008

Sorry but this was uncalled for. You can express your opinions on the matter in a more professional way. Using your example, you wouldn't speak to a child in this manner, so don't do so with another professional. Explain what you do and why, the rude "questions" are not necessary.