Some tough choices here!

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by oldstudent, Aug 12, 2014.

1. oldstudent

oldstudent Comrade

Aug 12, 2014

The district where I am thin ice, that offers me about 70% of my jobs, has just offered two 8 day jobs, and two 16 day jobs to start the year.

But the district where I am on better footing with a clean record, had long ago offered a one day job for Friday only that I accepted.

I hate to cancel the first job of the year at the better district, but I sure lost a lot of money to keep this job and stay on their good side.

I therefore did not take any of the extended job offers.

Did I do the right thing, although I could have earned as much as $3000 if I had taken the longer jobs with the tenous district?

My total losses should not end up at $3000, since I expect to be busy for more than just one of the first 16 days regardless, but the loss could still be substantial.

3. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Aug 12, 2014

I would cancel the one day only job since there is reasonable notice. It would be rare for the job to stay unfilled. I would imagine the sub office would understand the circumstances. When I subbed, I did this once in a while when there was enough lead time and it wasn't over a hard to fill period like a holiday weekend. There was never a problem (all in the same district).

Most subs can't afford to pass up long term assignments.

4. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Aug 12, 2014

If you are on thin ice do you think you could handle those 8 and 16 day jobs without incidents? I think you did the right thing.

5. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Aug 12, 2014

I think it depends on what you mean by 'thin ice'. But cancelling a 1 day job for a week long job (and you actually would have even more than that) is perfectly acceptable, especially with such long notice.

6. oldstudent

oldstudent Comrade

Aug 12, 2014

I understand your point.

I consider the complaints against me already to be ridiculous ones, but you never know how anything could be interpreted by the aides.

7. oldstudent

oldstudent Comrade

Aug 12, 2014

Well I'll be a horses bottom!

The one Friday job that prevented me from accepting any of the long term jobs just got cancelled,although fortunately replaced by two consecutive Fridays at another school.

I wish I could predict the future. I would have taken a long job and then merely not accepted the replacement job.

8. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Aug 12, 2014

By and large, subbing is about having integrity, treating others as you would hope to be treated, having faith that if one district is that busy so early, probably others will be just as busy soon, as well, and knowing that most things even out in the long run. I miss subbing, but remember that if you are good enough to get offered the longer jobs at one point, you will almost certainly be offered similar jobs in the near future.

9. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Aug 12, 2014

I've learned my lesson exactly like this. School A has 1 absence you're scheduled for. Then school B has a bunch of great jobs lined up, 3 day, 5 day, even 2 weeks. You don't accept school B, because you want to be loyal and show integrity, and think that school A is counting on you.
    In reality school A has absolutely no clue that you're saying no to other schools, and why, all they know is that you're available, and probably glad that you got that 1 day job.
    Then, when something comes up, they realized they put in the wrong day for absence, the training got cancelled, or better yet, the teacher who's out realized that she promised that 1 day to someone else, you're all of sudden out of a job, and no one is thinking about integrity and loyalty, because that's not how this works.

You need to make sure you work every day, or as much as possible, while you keep being reasonable and loyal in a balance. If a teacher asks you to fill in for her for 3 days, and she trusts you to leave her class with you, then cancelling on her for a 5 day job wouldn't be a good thing. But cancelling a 1 day job for 5 days is probably ok, although if you're commitment was for a specific teacher, you probably want to talk to them.

Otherwise, you'll be sitting at home, feeling great because you were loyal and responsible, but angry because they just cancelled on you and even angrier because you're not working, and you can never make up that time with money.