Some Questions

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Math, Apr 30, 2011.

1. Math

Math Cohort

Apr 30, 2011

Hey Guys! Just a few questions. I'm really curious! :angel:

Was College hard?

What was better High School or College?

What made you choose your Major?

Do the Professors really just talk and talk and talk and you have to pinpoint the important information? Or do they actually help you?

Are Professors strict?

(Math Teachers Question Below)
    Do you learn the History of Mathematics?

Is Calculus extremely difficult?

What classes did you take in High School?

3. HMM

HMM Cohort

Apr 30, 2011

Undergrad: Not really...though it depends on the person and what they are majoring in.

HS sucked

Undergrad was ok

Grad School was great

I Like mathematics and I'm good at it.

For both...it depends on the professor. I am not strict, but I know some that are very strict.

You pick up some. If you want to learn a lot about the history of Mathematics then take a math history class

Depends on the person. Some find it really easy and others think it is the hardest class they have ever taken

algebra 1,2 geom, precalc

4. porque_pig

porque_pig Comrade

Apr 30, 2011

Was College hard?

Once I established a routine and made sure I maintained good habits (go to bed before 11, eat breakfast every day, get exercise, study during breaks between classes), college was actually a breeze. The hardest semester was the semester of student teaching.

I didn't mind high school too much, but college was a great experience and definitely more formative. You have a lot more freedom in college, but YOU are responsible for your own success.

Spanish was my favorite class during my first semester of college. I decided to make a career out of it!

Do the Professors really just talk and talk and talk and you have to pinpoint the important information? Or do they actually help you?

It depends on the professor, but in my personal experience, they definitely help you. I struggled a lot in one of my history classes, and my professor met with me twice a week to help me study. However, I went to a SMALL university--I think this really helped me build relationships with my professors. If you go to a large university, you may have a grad student teach your class (which is what I do now). As a grad student, I am available to my students a LOT during the week if they need help. No matter where you go, there will be someone who is willing to help you.

Are Professors strict?

Totally depends on the professor. Some professors are very particular about what they want. Some are unfair in their treatment of students. Some tend to give students high grades, and some tend to give students low grades. Talk to other students when you get to your university to figure out which professors to take--not all professors are created equal. Do you see any differences in strictness/classroom management in high school?

5. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Apr 30, 2011

Was College hard?
    Some classes took more work than others. The only "hard" class for me was chemistry. That's because I was supposed to take CHE 101, and I ended up in CHE 111. The advanced class was for people with two or more years of high school chemistry. I'd only had one. The class was hard for me.

They were so different that it's hard to compare. They were both good, but for different reasons.

I like writing, grammar, and literature. I don't like little kids.

It depends. Some do. Some don't.

Are Professors strict?
    Again, some are. Some aren't.

6. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Apr 30, 2011

Was College hard?
    College can be as hard or as easy as you make it. If you choose a "party school", then go out of your way to seek the easiest courses that fill the requirements and seek out the easiest professors, then it won't be as challenging as if you were to choose a school known for it's rigor and then go out of your way to choose the most demanding professors/courses.

Define "better". High School and college are different. I have fond memories of both.

I was a music major at a major conservatory. I suffered an injury to my hands that forced me to quit. First, I thought I would go into nursing, but wound up going back to my other high school love: Math.

Depends on the professor. Everybody's different.

Are Professors strict?
    Again, that depends on the professor. Just like HS teachers, some are, some aren't.

As HMM said, you pick up the history here and there throughout your studies. The university I went to offered a History of Mathematics course, and it was required for the Ed majors, but just another elective for everybody else. Since I wasn't an ed major, I never took it.

I've been known to tell my students that calculus is easy....it's the algebra required that will kick you in the a$$. Seriously though, for the most part, I've found that students who came to me with a very strong background in algebra found Calculus to be quite reasonable.

I took AP Calc in 9th grade, but since I had to have so many years of math to graduate HS, they bussed me to a local university to take Calc III, Linear Algebra, an Intro to Abstract Math course and an undergraduate level Abstract Algebra course.

7. KatherineParr

KatherineParr Comrade

Apr 30, 2011

Was College hard?
    - For me, college was hard in terms of maturity. The intellectual work was easy but I had to learn how to manage my own behavior. No one will hunt you down if you fail to appear - you just flunk out. I had to learn that.

I loved high school. I attended a boarding science and math magnet school and I met my husband there. So...it was pretty good. My first college experience was not so good. Then I transferred to a different college (different city, bigger school, different type of school) and I lived with my husband. That made a huge difference to my experience and I loved the school where I finished my BA.

Graduate school was fantastic, though. 100% pleasure from the start to the end.

I've always wanted to be a historian. Since first grade. Really.

Here's where I differ from other posters. Everything they've said is true, but there are some things that apply across the variety among professors. [NB: I taught college for 6 years at an R-1, an elite liberal arts college, and a regional comprehensive university.]

College professors will help you, but you must seek it out. They teach the class, then they leave. They have an office, not a classroom. So when the class is over, they have to get out of it. As a result, you can't expect them to be there all the time, waiting to assist you.

Also, teaching is only 30% of most professors' jobs. They are expected to balance teaching, research, and service to the university. So you are not the top priority. You're important, but are one important thing on a list of important things.

Teaching is not a big part of the evaluation of college professors, either. So if that professor gives a fairly engaging lecture, returns your work within 2 weeks, and doesn't do anything egregious (ie, curse wildly, grade you on your politics, ask you out...) it's considered just fine. In other words: there's no incentive for a professor to help you. If s/he does so, it's an act of kindness.

All that said, two caveats: 1. A small college will definitely be more nurturing. That's part of the mission of such schools. 2. Most professors are nice people and if they think you like the subject they will help you. They don't have to, but they will.

Are Professors strict?

Again, what others have said is absolutely true. BUT.

The thing to understand is that the college professor can do nearly any thing s/he wants with your grade. Did you cheat? Flunk. No appeal most of the time. If appealed, usually the college sides with the professor.

Disrupted class? Flunk. Some colleges let the professor drop you for any reason. Some allow the professor to force you out for a violation of the student code. Some have no such rules but that professor will just flunk you and come up with an explanation and there's nothing you can do. Nothing.

It's very, very important to understand that professors are valued by universities (and many colleges) for the scholarship they produce. In other words: the books and articles they publish and their reputation as experts. Teaching is not a big part of that. So a conflict with a student is of little importance most of the time and the professor's credit with the university is far, far greater than any student.

I'm not trying to freak you out, but merely to suggest why behavioral expectations are so different among professors. Students just don't do certain things in college classes. And if they did, the professor could take actions that high school teachers generally cannot take. And unlike high school, your parents have absolutely no say in what happens. By federal law, they are excluded from such discussions and decisions. You have no right to attend any particular college, and the college has lots of rights to defend and shape its campus climate. So strictness isn't that much of an issue.

I'm being pretty pushy here, and there's a lot of gray, I admit. I just want to point out the ways in which college is different despite the undeniable variations among professors.

8. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Apr 30, 2011

Was College hard?
    My undergraduate courses tended to be challenging, but not to the point of tears of anything like that. Just a good, healthy challenge. Kentucky History, Christian Traditions, and Algebra were the most difficult. Oh, and Ancient Art History killed me though I loved it...one of the couple Bs I got in my college career. More than content, dealing with school and work and everything else in life was difficult. My graduate courses were much more time consuming, but not mentally difficult.

I don't miss either, I'll just say that.

I knew I was going into education, but in middle school my career planning documents (which I still have) indicated I wanted to teach elementary. By high school I had chosen middle school. I chose middle school as a high school student because reflecting back on my experience, I thought I could have been a better teacher for needy adolescents than many of mine were.

I had some professors who would ramble and I just tried to pick out important-sounding terms, but most were true teachers. It very much depends on the school and the individual teacher.

Are Professors strict?
    Again, it varies greatly. I had some professors who were, though most were not. Some professors had an attendance policy, including online courses. For example, for one course I had to log-in every weekday and complete an activity of some sort. Others didn't seem to care how frequently you visited so long as you mastered the content.

9. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

May 1, 2011

Was College hard?
    It depends on your major! For me, it wasn't hard. There were times when I had a lot of work, but it was college - I expected to work! Since I had a job working part time all through college, time management was sometimes a challenge for me.

ABSOLUTELY college. I liked high school fine, but college is just so much better! You're learning how to be an adult. Now I'm in grad school, and that's the best so far. :)

I majored in Liberal Studies, because that is what you do if you want to be an elementary teacher in California, and I wanted to be an elementary teacher...so it was a no brainer for me.

Professors are teachers. Just like your teachers in high school and earlier, some are great, some are mediocre. Some professors just talk and talk and talk...but most (in my experience) are really excellent and bring relevant information in interesting ways. I am not really someone who asks for a lot of help from teachers or professors, but mine were always very easily accessible. They have office hours and usually respond to e-mail quickly.

Are Professors strict?

It depends on the professor! ;) Mostly no, though. In college, you are responsible for yourself and your grade. If you don't want to show up or do the work, well - that is on you. Your grade will suffer. So professors aren't typically on your case a lot because your success in the course is up to YOU, not them! That's been my experience, anyway.

10. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

May 1, 2011

:cool:

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 1, 2011

Math...essentially you are going to have your own experiences as a HS and college student...these experiences vary student to student, school to school.

12. queenie

queenie Groupie

May 1, 2011

Was College hard?
    Yes.

College for me.

I had wanted to be a teacher since first grade.

Do the Professors really just talk and talk and talk and you have to pinpoint the important information? Or do they actually help you? Depends on the professor. Some were AWESOME...a few not so much.

Are Professors strict? Some of them are...some aren't.

13. tchr4evr

tchr4evr Companion

May 1, 2011

Was College hard?

Yes, at first, because I never had to study in high school. But once I was in the right major and got the right group of friends, it was a breeze.

Both were great.

I love theatre. I love English. I love music.

Depends on the professor, the school, and the subject. They will always help you, but they expect independent thinking.

Are Professors strict?

Depends on the professor.

14. Major

Major Connoisseur

May 1, 2011

Was College hard? I thought college was easy. But....... I studied hard.

What was better High School or College? Loved them both.... I was a jock in Texas high school and college.... (football, basketball, baseball in high school....... football in college)... Plus I just enjoy studying, playing, socializing. Both HS and college were great for me.

What made you choose your Major?..... MONEY ..and the fact that I truly love geology and geophysics..... I grew up relatively poor. Didn't want to stay that way. I was able to retire the first time in my late 40's. Had it not been for money, I would have been a football coach ......

Do the Professors really just talk and talk and talk and you have to pinpoint the important information? Or do they actually help you? Some profs are really interesting, some should be working at Burger King.

Are Professors strict? Not in my opinion.

Do you learn the History of Mathematics? Yes

Is Calculus extremely difficult? Not at all. If you get into it, it quite easy. Calculus is just a first step into mathematics.

What classes did you take in High School? Too long ago to remember.

15. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

May 1, 2011

Was College hard?
    College was easy to me. I studied hard and got good grades. The hardest part was dealing with the people in my classes.

High School. I was more social and had more friends and did a lot more things.

I have always wanted to be a teacher. I have several teachers in my family.

My professors helped us. They did not do much talking. We had a lot of group projects to do so all of it was put on the students.

Are Professors strict?
    No mine

16. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 2, 2011

Was College hard?
    Nope. Juggling work and school was sometimes a bit of a struggle. But It hink that lots of people who want to become teachers tend to do fairly well academically anyway.

They were both memorable and enjoyable in differnet ways.

I always wanted to teach, from the time I was in 2nd grade. At some point in high school, I chose math, even though I struggled in it a bit in high school.

A combination of both. But if you wanted extra help, no one was going to chase you down and remind you of where and when it was offered.

Are Professors strict?
    They didn't have to be. College is not for kids.

I have no idea; I got my Bachelor's in 1980.

Calc I is an extension of Algebra; I enjoyed taking it and I've enjoyed teaching it. Calc II is a bit harder, then Calc III is back to not-so-hard.
    But the right professor makes all the differnece in the world!

As far as math goes, I went up to Intro to Calc (not AP; we didn't have AP classes.) I took Physics (independent study-- a mistake) and I don't recall what else.