Some questions about SE (special education)

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by No1teacher, Jan 14, 2011.

1. No1teacher

No1teacher New Member

Jan 14, 2011

I read that the job market for special education is good right now. How much do they earn compared to other teachers?
    Is it possible to teach special education right away with just a BA degree, not an education degree, while at the same time attending (one-year?) program to get certified for SE teaching?

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 15, 2011

I have additional Special Education qualifications in addition to my B.A./B.Ed; I know that qualifications are different everywhere, however. My salary is the same as every other teacher in my board on the same step in the salary grid.

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jan 15, 2011

My salary is the same as well. It is possible to go with an alternative certification route and begin teaching if you can find a district willing to hire you.

It is easier to find a special education job, however, that doesn't mean it will be easy. We only hired for one position this year, a special education teacher. We had over 1000 applicants and only hired 1 of them....But we didn't even hire any other teachers.

In another school in my district, they hired 1 special education teacher as well. Probably from the same pool of applicants. So, two jobs in the district this year....

5. bethechange

bethechange Comrade

Jan 15, 2011

I have worked in 3 districts in 3 states in a variety of special ed positions and never earned nor been offered any more pay than a general ed teacher on the same lane as I am.

I would not advise someone to go into special education just because it might be easier to find a job or the pay might be better. You really have to love it and be committed to it. In my experience, there are more special ed jobs open because people burn out of it quickly due to the (very often) insane paperwork and huge caseload.

6. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jan 15, 2011

:agreed:

This is so true!

7. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Jan 16, 2011

Sped teachers in our county are paid the same as a gen ed teacher, however, I know a few years ago they offered a signing "bonus" to high needs areas such as Science teachers and Sped, and a few others. This bonus was about $1,000. But as others said, do not base your choice on the money.

8. No1teacher

No1teacher New Member

Jan 18, 2011

Why does it require insane paperwork and caseload?

9. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 19, 2011

There is mandated documentation and record-keeping at many levels--school, district, state/province. There is often a seemingly endless stack of forms--referrals, consents, requests, applications, contacts records, meeting records, etc. As far as caseloads, this can vary. I have 26 students on my caseload right now (will change to 32 before the end of the school year)--some I work with every day, some I see rarely. I love what I do, but it involves so much more than just working with the students every day (as does every job in the teaching profession).

10. timsterino

timsterino Comrade

Jan 19, 2011

I am leaving Special Education after three years at the end of this school year. I put in my transfer to get a position in a regular high school (non-Special Education). I have five endorsements on my certificate and should hopefully get my transfer.

Although General Education teachers have more students in class, the lack of district paperwork will make up for the extra kids. I came to the realization this year that I am working three times more that General Education teachers (no offense to you) for the same exact pay. It used to be that in Special Education you had smaller class sizes and a manageable case load. This is not the case anymore and with the class size reduction in Florida, General Education is more attractive then ever.

I hope that I get the transfer.

11. Nate

Nate Companion

Jan 20, 2011

In Michigan, you need an education degree and a teaching certificate in order to teach. Certified teachers can get emergency certification in a high need area they're not certified, but as far as I know, there's not alternate route to certification in Michigan. There are a lot of teachers here; there's no need to bring in people without the training.

12. slice1219

slice1219 Rookie

Jan 23, 2011

I get paid the same as other teachers on my pay scale but put in 100 times more, for sure. My case load is currently 43 (44 by the end of next week and 45 by the end of the week after that). No offense, but it is clear you don't know anything about special ed. I would highly recommend talking to a few different special ed. teachers if possible. Everyone knows you don't go into teaching for the money but you REALLY don't go into special ed. for the money!! Haha. You have to love what you do.

13. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 23, 2011

In our district, Special Ed teachers get the same base pay as everyone else. I think that they might be eligible for certain incentives like an extra $1,000 per year or something like that.

I've heard that a lot of districts are moving away from self-contained Special Ed classes and towards an inclusion model. This means that many Special Ed teachers are being moved back into the general ed classroom, so they need to have their general ed licenses. That may or may not be true where you are, but it's worth checking out.