Some interview experiences...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by ssmeow, Oct 28, 2017.

1. ssmeow

ssmeow Rookie

Oct 28, 2017

Hello all,

I wanted to write this post because I know how frustrating interviewing can be. I don't know if this post will be helpful, but I hope it is informative. I am starting with the first teaching interview I ever went to, which happened to be for my first teaching job.
    If you find this info helpful I am happy to share more experiences, but I don't want to write-up a bunch of posts if people aren't finding them useful.

Interview 1 - Second Grade Teacher (My first teaching job)
    I received a call from the principal a week before school started. He asked me to do a same-day interview. I could tell that this principal was desperate, which made me feel uneasy about the quality of the school. I was not overly picky being a new teacher, and I applied to this school and district knowing it is not top rated. I go to the interview and answer a few standard questions: tell me about yourself, why do you want to be a teacher, etc. I don't think I answered these questions that great, to be honest. I was a bit nervous since this was my first teacher interview. I do remember that he liked my resume a lot, that I am ESL certified, and was familiar with balanced literacy from student teaching. He also asked how I would find resources to teach and I talked about using TPT and other reputable education sites to find lessons and ideas.
    After asking me 3 or so questions, the principal starts going off on a tangent about how he is looking for fresh faces to turn around the school. He mentions all the staff that left the previous year, which was his first year as principal, and how they didn't share "his vision." He also was selling the school and his accomplishments pretty hard. He asked me if I wanted to take a tour of the school and see the classroom. I agreed and he was still talking about himself and did not seem interested in me or my qualifications. After the tour, he told me he would like to offer me the position and that I had until 3:00 pm that day to give him an answer (it was 1:00 pm). I said that I would think it over and get back to him.
    I called everyone I knew and told them my thoughts and fears. I was very skeptical because of how desperate he sounded and I didn't want to be in a bad situation. After speaking with my mom, I decided to accept the offer because the school year was starting and the only other offer I had on the table was for a TA job and I REALLY wanted my own classroom.
    I accepted the job and I am so grateful for the experience, but I left that school after 1 year. It was even crazier than I thought it would be. Extremely aggressive students, kids swearing at each other and teachers, multiple fights every day in every grade K-5, very limited resources, a strong lack of communication and support from administration, and many more terrible things. I was lucky to have great respectful (for the most part) students or I would not have even made it through the year.

Please respond with your comments and questions.

Thanks for reading!

3. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Oct 28, 2017

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
  4. ssmeow

ssmeow Rookie

Oct 28, 2017

Hello Leaborb192,
    Just curious if you plan to move where you want to teach? I know you said you wished that you never moved to AZ, but I think the teaching experience will help you get the job you really want. Even though I am still not in my dream job, I know that I would not have my job this year if it was not for experience last year.
    I was literally just hired to start teaching in the district I was in last year except at a much, much better school. I don't know what is in store for me but I have heard good things and I hope to stay here for a while to get some more experience under my belt and have the confidence to apply to some of the "better" school districts.

Leaborb192 likes this.
  5. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Oct 28, 2017

I can’t think of any situation where desperation is a good sign.

6. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Oct 29, 2017

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019