Some Interview Advice

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by KinderCowgirl, Jul 12, 2010.

1. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 12, 2010

I know no one asked my opinion or anything, but I spent the day today sitting in on interviews and I have some advice for those going through that right now.

Make eye contact with the people at the table-if nothing else, looking away/down all the time makes you look like what you're saying isn't true. I understand now why Judge Judy always asks for them to look at her!;)

Let your energy and passion shine through. We interviewed a new graduate who was so effusive, eyes literally lit up talking about student teaching; then a very experienced, knowledgable teacher who sighed a lot and made it seem like teaching was a lot of work. Guess who our admin is going with?

Be positive-several times our P asked, what behavior would make you contact a parent. All the teachers talked about when Johnny did something really inappropriate, etc. I really wanted to hear one of them say: when he can finally read all his high-frequency words or was on green for an entire month (and that can be in addition to the bad stuff, but there should be good calls too).

Lastly (and this is a big pet peeve of mine anyway)-differentiating for your advanced kids doesn't mean pair them up with a low kid. Struggling kids shouldn't just get "more work"-be ready to talk about examples of activities on different levels that you would implement-it's ok for different kids to get different work.

Loosen up, be yourself. One of our candidates today actually said the term "OMG" in an answer-now, I'm not suggesting you go into an interview and do that, however-she was being real-I could tell that wasn't a canned answer.

I really feel for you guys still out there looking. You'll end up where you are meant to be and the wait will be worth it, you'll see! :)

3. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jul 12, 2010

Kinder - that's why I included in my interview "phrase" - "look them in the eye, give a firm handshake and shine"

I always have a very hard time with candidates that don't look us in the eye. I know they are nervous, but if you look at me, I am going to give a great big smile, nod and do my best to make you feel more comfortable :)

And I really HATE that DI answer too. We get the same answer probably about 80% of the time!!

4. OedipaMaas

OedipaMaas Rookie

Jul 12, 2010

Thanks for sharing your insight from the other side of the table.

5. newteacher26

newteacher26 Companion

Jul 12, 2010

Thank you for the advice =) I still get very nervous going into interviews but once I get to talking, I can talk. I can use all the tips I can get and this board is perfect. Thanks everyone! :)

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 12, 2010

And don't be afraid to use a little humor at your own expense; it can be quite an icebreaker.

Any time I've hit the greatest weakness question, I always joke about all the years my mom has spent tryng to get me to talk more slowly. Interviews shouldn't be torture; there shoud be laughter and lightheartedness. I would never recommend a candidate who didn't crack a smile during the interview.

7. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Jul 12, 2010

This is great! Hopefully I will be getting an interview so I can use all of these fabulous tips! Thanks! Keep posting- I would love more!

Kinder- and any/every one else!- if you sit in on more interviews, remember to share your wisdom and experiences with us! Thanks!

8. SCTeacher23

SCTeacher23 Comrade

Jul 12, 2010

Thanks so much for the advice! I have a couple interivews coming up, so I will definitely think about what you said!

9. klc92201

klc92201 Companion

Jul 12, 2010

Wow! Thanks for this thread. I have an interview tomorrow and I needed the reminder to stay positive. I think behavior which is a huge questions will be started out tomorrow with the positive. :)

10. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 13, 2010

Haha, Alice - first thing I told my P during my interview: "I wasn't planning on interviewing right now; I'm pretty sure I just forgot everything I ever knew; I'm nervous; I'll probably stutter; and these shoes are killing me. But I'm a really good teacher!"

He laughed; my answers were not polished and pretty; and it all worked out in the end.

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 13, 2010

Sure, because they were HONEST. He could see what kind of a teacher he was getting, not what you could download off the internet.

12. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Jul 13, 2010

so interesting that you mentioned this....at one of my most recent interviews, about half way through...I realized I was looking and answering to the principal the entire time almost ignoring the AP that was also there...something I need to work on!

13. melissa803

melissa803 Comrade

Jul 13, 2010

Wow. I love posts like this. So helpful. I *know* all of this but sometimes *forget* it while interviewing. Thanks!

14. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Jul 13, 2010

Don't wear too much perfume! I was once overpowered during an interview and couldn't concentrate on what the candidate had to say.
    I agree - just be yourself!

15. klc92201

klc92201 Companion

Jul 13, 2010

I noticed I was doing that today too. The problem is one person was at the one end of the conference table and the other at the other end so when I looked at one the other one was at my back. I will remember this for Thursday.