Some help please

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by afterschoolgirl, Oct 21, 2008.

1. afterschoolgirl

afterschoolgirl New Member

Oct 21, 2008

I work with kids afterschool and i have one little boy who is driving me nuts. He is in kindergarten and he says he can't do anything. I had them draw family pictures and he says he can't draw. He can't dribble a ball and doesn't even want to try. For now i just ask him to do it and leave. Usally he tries and i come back to tell him how good he did. Is there any other ways to boost his confindence? Or other ways to deal with him when he says he can't do something?

3. Luv2Learn

Luv2Learn Companion

Oct 21, 2008

It breaks my heart, you know what I mean? How can a little 5 year old have such a negative view of his abilities. Unfortunately, it is most likely coming from home and you will have an uphill battle with him and what he may be dealing with in his home life. Have you spoken with his mom and/or dad? If you did, what kind of impression did you get? Does he have siblings? Sometimes it isn't the parents, and they too might be at a loss on why their little one has such negative fews.

My suggestion might be that once you get all the other little ones set up on what you want them to do, take a few minutes and just talk to this little guy. Find out what he likes (there has got to be something he likes).

Everyone has something good in them and something they can do, maybe have a little circle group where you have each child saying something nice they noticed about another child...maybe it was as simple as sharing a toy or something, and every child needs to have something nice said about them.

If a child is not able to get the positive enforcement at home, school and outside activities such as after school programs need to do their part.

Wish I could help more!

4. Mommateach

Mommateach Rookie

Oct 21, 2008

Is it possible for you to actually show him and talk him through how to dribble a ball and draw a picture of a family? My son was that way in kindergarten too. He said he didn't know how to draw and everything was too hard. I realized that he actually didn't know how to draw. I had to specifically show him how to draw people and houses. My daughter on the other hand picked up drawing naturally at an early age.

5. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Oct 21, 2008

Well you can't make him try...but the little boy I have who says "I can't"....the mantra is, "Well, just try your best"...what more can I ask? It has been about 3 weeks, and I still hear it EVERYday.....Like PP said, I would ask parents and see if they get the same thing at home...if so, he might need some self-esteem building from a counselor or something....5 years olds should try everything! (well, almost everything....)

6. afterschoolgirl

afterschoolgirl New Member

Oct 22, 2008

I talked to his mom yesterday. She said that he does the same thing at home with chores or things he deems work.
    Mamateach he does fine after i tell him that he can do it. Once i say that walk away and come back he has it done. And it is done nicely. I guess he just needs that extra little you can do it.