Some general questions about teaching vs other careers

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by thesub, Mar 23, 2009.

1. thesub

thesub Comrade

Mar 23, 2009

Hi all:

Please help me out - I have a CE in Elem. Ed and sub sometimes in our school district. I am terrified of the job market in central NJ and not entered any teacher.prep. program.

My questions

1)when I get certified and there are no jobs, is it ok to take up a montessori/charter/daycare teaching jobs (assuming I get one)??? Do public schools look down upon such experience???

2) If I keep subbing 2x/week, is this enough face time to network etc? I will prob. put my two kids in after-care and sub (I discussed this earlier in this forum). I say 2x/week because subbing jobs are hard to get. One friend who has "connections" in the district, gets called only once a week or even less. And I have no connections.

3) If I get certified and land no type of teaching jobs (not even daycare ones) for five years, will this be a black mark against
    me???

4) I feel very nervous about spending $10-$15 k on teacher certification and have nothing to show for it. Can you send me some encouraging thoughts, that maybe if I stick it out, I will get some job eventually??!!!

Even getting an instructional aide position in our district and neighboring districts seems very competitive. It seems only people who know someone get a job in the school districts.

Thanks so much.

PS: I am seriously thinking of technical writing as a career. No matter, what I choose, I have to spend money in training, certification etc. Anyone here did tech.writing for a career?

Thanks so much.

3. palla

palla Companion

Mar 23, 2009

I work as a technical writer. After college (BA, Technical Writing, MA English), I worked as a TW in the corporate world. Before I had children, I wrote college textbooks with another author, but I gave that up when the kids were born to be a SAHM. Currently, I work as a consultant. I love the job and the flexibility, but I have contacts through my previous jobs, so that helps with networking. You do have to be very conscious of deadlines. You don't want to miss a deadline, especially when you are working with publishers.

4. thesub

thesub Comrade

Mar 23, 2009

thank you!

5. babycheeks

babycheeks Rookie

Mar 23, 2009

If you cant get a teaching position try to find something else your good at just in case, plus itll be helpful in the summer.. I will write grants during my summers and if a position isnt open for me in teaching the grants are there. So just try to find a backup your good at, I also will work from home doing customer service call center work via my headset on my computer and that is a little something income that helps me out just google up Alpine Access great work at home job and company that fills my needs when I need it too!! Go ahead and apply! But be a teacher and pick a subject that is in NEED the main word here just think out the box for just in case situations.