Some general homework questions

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by Pisces_Fish, Jul 25, 2008.

1. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 25, 2008

I'm really struggling with designing my homework "plan." I don't think I want to grade it, since I believe homework is for practice, and it's unfair to grade students on something they are still learning. However, I still feel it's important to give the students some sort of feedback, such as a check, check plus, or minus (for completion). I also don't have a clue how I'm going to deal with missing homework or absentee homework.

Here's some specific quesions I have:
    • Do you grade homework?
    • How is it weighted?
    • Do you accept late homework?
    • What's your policy when students are absent?
    • How much do you assign? Do you follow a format, like Spelling on Monday, Reading on Tuesday, etc.

Pleas e share with me your policy..

3. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 25, 2008

1. Yes. I feel that if they do it, they deserve a grade. Plus, if they know you do not grade it, they will not try as hard. Plus, there are some kids who are bad test takers. I like to give as many opportunities as possible to get good grades. Finally, I do not exactly assign homework. I give an assignment and what they do not finish in class is homework. They typically have math every night, other than that, they may not have any.

2. I do not weigh anything. I began the year last year grading assignments based on the number of problems/questions. So, if there are 17 math problems and 2 are wrong, the student receives 15/17. However, this caused issues and after the 1st MP I gave in and went with the grade level. So, every assignment (hw, test, participation, etc...) is worth 100 points. I record their percentage. If I assign a project, I will usually tell them I am counting it as 2 grades.

3. Yes, up to 3 days late. It is a pain in the butt, but I do not want their grades affected as much. Of course, I had a few this year that didn't care anyway.

4. They have the number of days they were absent + 1 to make it up. Out 1 day? Due in 2 days. Out 2 days? Due in 3 days.

5. I don't assign (only on occassion) homework. I give an assignment for every lesson (typically). It could be group work or individual work. What ever they do not finish is their homework. Most kids have only math on a nightly basis. However, some rarely have any homework and a few seem to take home every book in their desk. I try to assign all of my assignments so they will only have to take 1 or 2 things home.

4. Loomistrout

Loomistrout Devotee

Jul 25, 2008

"... grade HW?" No. Since the teacher never knows for sure who has really done the HW - parent, sibling, friend etc. - HW is not a true reflection of who has learned.

"... weighted?" Check for turning something in.

"... late HW?" Yes.

"... absent?" Depending on length of absence a private, individual contract is agreed upon between teacher and student after time for individual instruction and corrective feedback. No sense sending something home when student was not present for instruction. If it were that simple teacher's would not be needed and instruction could be mailed.

"... how much assign? ... format?" Never been able to figure out "how much?". Some kids can make a 15 min. drill into an hour while others knock out a hour in 15. I do suggest to parents to schedule an hour each night devoted to school related activities like reading or practice. No format. Depends on how difficult/critical lessons for each week -- tend to go with what students need not a locked in schedule.

5. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Jul 26, 2008

Do you grade homework? never
    How is it weighted? n/a
    Do you accept late homework? yes
    What's your policy when students are absent? turn it in first day back, but I don't give them the homework that was assigned on the days they were absent
    How much do you assign? Do you follow a format, like Spelling on Monday, Reading on Tuesday, etc.math Monday through Thursday, often finishing or continuing class work, or practice page from workbook, or if totally new, just five problems, or collect information from home to bring in. Social s. is usually just assigned when a test is coming up. Science may be an experiment done at home or when a test is coming up. Language-about once every two weeks some kind of practice of about 20 minutes or less, Reading-expected to read every night

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 26, 2008

Do you grade homework? Never--homework is a time to practice skills, not to be evaluated on them. It is checked for completion and is evaluated (E,G,S, NI) under Homework Completion of the report on.
    How is it weighted? n/a
    Do you accept late homework? Yes. I deal with this on an individual basis with the students.
    What's your policy when students are absent? They are not responsible for doing the full day's work, but will have to do a modified assignment to ensure that they haven't missed essential skills.
    How much do you assign? Do you follow a format, like Spelling on Monday, Reading on Tuesday, etc. Most students have math homework every night, completing work begun in class. They are to read at home every night. Most other homework is work not completed in class.

7. 100%Canadian

100%Canadian Companion

Jul 26, 2008

Homework only becomes homework in my class if the work assigned in class isn't finished. Thus, the expedient workers rarely have any. I do check on a regular basis, however, and if not finished, I record it on a chart at the front of the room. For every third "incomplete" in a given month, I write a note in the agenda for parents to sign. Those with perfect homework for the month get mentioned in the class newsletter and, if I'm in a good mood, a token treat like gum or candy.

As for homework not being done, I send the kids out to the hall to finish it - or they stay in at recess depending on if we're taking it up or not.

If they're absent, I expect them to catch up. Period.

Daily homework, if they have it, will come from math and word study. The rest depends on what we've accomplished during the day.

If parents ask about extra homework, I can provide it - much to the students' chagrin. However, I encourage parents to review basic concepts in math or read/write together. I've learned that if you assign homework for "homework's sake", then you lose kids. If you're not marking it then it has no value. It should be relevant to what you're teaching at the time, not just an arbitrary time filler to keep kids busy at night (as I know some teachers do this).

8. LoVe 2 TcH

LoVe 2 TcH Companion

Jul 26, 2008

1. I usually grade most of the homework assignments. It depends on whether I see that they understand the lesson, or not. I normally do not tell them which assignments will be graded, because I have learned if I tell them its not graded they will not do it.

2. It is 15 % of their overall grade.

3. I accept late homework assignments, but do penalized them 10%. I think that they neeed to be responsible for their work and their actions. I include this policy in my handbook and the parents know from the beginning of the year.

4. When a student is absent, they are responsible to turn in the work that was assigned when they were in school, the day they return. For example if they were in school Tuesday, but gone Wednesday, they have to turn in the work that was due Wed, on Thursday. (I hope that makes sense.) The work they missed the day of their absent, they have the number of days they were absent plus one, to make it up. For example, if they were absent 2 days, they have 3 days to make them up.

5. I usually give them all of their homework assignments on Monday, so they have time to work on it. My students know not to do their work until the day I explain it or actually assign it. I do this because I think, they should know how much work they have for the week. There are some times when I add assginments during the week, but that rarely happens.

:) HTH :)

9. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 26, 2008

I have been grading homework because I feel that it helps their grades. I don't want to grade primarily on unit tests.

I don't weight grades in the traditional sense. Each assignment, though, is worth a certain number of points based on its importance or relevance. A workbook page might be only 5 or 10 points, but a book report might be 60 points.

If homework is not turned in on the day it is due, the student goes to study hall in place of lunch/recess (eats in there) until assignments are completed.

I give assignments Mon. through Thurs. Usually it is something like: spelling every night, math most nights, la sometimes, reading every night, and I encourage nightly journal entries. Also, any work that wasn't completed in class - most don't have any. Book reports are due about every 4 weeks.

10. SnowDaisy822

SnowDaisy822 Companion

Jul 26, 2008

1. I grade everything they turn in. Sometimes if we grade it in class, I'll just give them 10 points for doing the assignment and trying it.

2. I do: 5 points for assignments done in class, 10 points for homework, and 20 points for tests.

3. I accept all late work up until the last day of the quarter. They lose money with my behavior plan though when it's late.

4. When a student is absent, it is their responsibility to check with me for what their homework was. They fill out their assignment sheets on Mondays so they know what work they will have. The work they miss, they have how many days they were gone plus one to make it up for no penalty (if they were gone 2 days, they have 3 to make it up).

5. I have one assignment a night. Usually they have math on Mondays and Wednesdays, Science on Tuesdays, Social Studies on Thursdays and nothing on Fridays. I assign reading logs every week and they're always due on Fridays. The only time they have homework on the weekends is when they acted up too much in class to get things done or if they are working on a report or long-term assignment.

I hope that helps! I use Engrade (www.engrade.com) to do all of my grades online. The kids love it and have become a lot more responsible for their work since they know they can get their grades and assignments on their own. Parents love it too.

11. Junebee

Junebee New Member

Aug 8, 2008

Something I have stolen from another teachers is homework buddies. If a student is absent they have a buddy that they can contact the day they return.

12. peachieteachie

peachieteachie Comrade

Aug 8, 2008

Do you grade homework? Only for a participation grade

How is it weighted? A check for completed homework

Do you accept late homework? Yes, but with a penalty

What's your policy when students are absent? I have students who collects absent work for students, and the absent students have 2 full days to complete the work and turn it in by county policy

How much do you assign? Do you follow a format, like Spelling on Monday, Reading on Tuesday, etc. I typically assign homework in spelling, reading, and math every day. This year I would also like to give them writing homework everyday.

13. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Aug 8, 2008

Do you grade homework?
    Yes, every assignment.

How is it weighted?
    Math homework is 15% of their grade. Other subjects have similar weights in their categories.

Do you accept late homework?
    No. Homework is only accepted on the day it is due. At our school students who do not complete their homework are required to complete the assignment in detention that afternoon. If, for some reason, the assignment is not completed in detention, it is a zero.

What's your policy when students are absent?
    Students get one day for every day they were absent, plus 1 extra day. For example, if someone is absent on Monday and returns on Tuesday, they will have until Friday to get me the make-up work. I expect that the work that was due on Monday will be turned in Tuesday morning and the rest of the week's work will be completed on time.

How much do you assign?
    Math is assigned every night, along with a word study exercise, and independent reading journals. My class usually also has an assignment in French. Homework is assigned 5 days a week.

14. calalily18

calalily18 Rookie

Aug 25, 2008

I think it is really important to be very sensitive to each student when it comes to the homework issue. Many people tend to forget that we don't have a clue what a child's life is like when they leave school. Some kids are homeless, living out of cars, hotels, with family, etc. Some have parents that are never around or don't have a quiet place to work...punishing them for not doing it when they have terrible circumstances is not a good practice-- I see other teachers in my school doing this, keeping the same children in from recess and forcing them to "Make it up"....but they continue to not do it...So that is just my insight--not everyone has a mom or dad or grandma or anyone helping them out.

15. Mr D

Mr D Comrade

Aug 25, 2008

Do you grade homework?
    Most of the time, I check homework for completion. We go over the homework in class and the students check their own paper.

How is it weighted?
    Since homework is practice, and I don't know for sure if the student did the assignment entirely on his / her own, I do not count it in their academic grade. (I used to, but did not like it.) Instead I factor it in to citizenship / conduct grades.

Do you accept late homework?
    In the past I have, but not anymore. When I did, I would have students turning in papers right at the end of the grading period, weeks after the paper was assigned (and due), to bring their grades up before report cards. Since the purpose of homework is to practice the skill being learned, doing it weeks later defeats the purpose.
    I DO accept classwork and projects late for a penalty on the grade.

What's your policy when students are absent?
    Students are responsible for checking with me to get make-up work. They have the number of days absent +1 day to finish it. Any work that was due the day(s) they were gone is due when they get back.

How much do you assign? Do you follow a format, like Spelling on Monday, Reading on Tuesday, etc.
    Nightly: Spelling, read 20 minutes, practice math facts. Sometimes other assignments might be given.