Some Encouragement to all you Job Seekers!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by omnipadme, Jun 27, 2012.

1. omnipadme

omnipadme Rookie

Jun 27, 2012

I just wanted to come in and tell my story- hopefully it will inspire someone else who's struggling to find a job as a teacher!

A year and half ago, I decided I wanted to be a teacher. I worked as a legal assistant for 4 years after college and I didn't want to go anywhere near law (Zzzz...)! I was working as a tutor on a part-time basis for extra money and decided that I wanted to explore the teacher route because I really enjoyed working with kids. At the time, I had heard all the stories about there being a SHORTAGE of teachers and thought I would have no issue getting a job. This was before the budget debacle of 2011. I went with the texas teachers ACP program & was shocked by how many people had the same bright idea I had. There had to be over 300 people in the training session- I did the math and that's about 1500+ potential teachers from one program year all trying to get a job just like me. Not to mention the people graduating from college with their teacher certifications and enrolled in other ACP programs. I thought this would be a piece of cake, but little did I know!

Even though I was certified generalist ec-6, 4-8, and esl, I had zero experience teaching (not even student teaching) and had little hope of getting a job. I had also relocated from austin to houston during this time and went back to work in the private sector so I could eat at least:lol: I hated it! Once I got settled in to the new city, I signed up as a substitute with both katy and cyfair isd. They are 2 very difficult school districts to get hired in, but that's what I wanted! I didn't even apply elsewhere. I quite my job as soon as I was green-lighted as a sub and true enough, I really enjoyed working with the kids every day.

About a week after leaving my private sector job, I received a call from cyfair's hr department to come in for a screening interview. I was in shock and so happy! I got the green light from them as well to be in the principals' hiring pool, but I was discourage because there was still no guarantee of if I would ever be hired. I met subs who had been subbing for YEARS, had been to several interviews and still no job. Not to mention all the things I read on this forum about the difficulty of getting hired :mellow:

I decided to brave the opposition and make sure all my ducks were in a row. If I got a call for an interview- great. If not, all good! I decided to just be positive about the situation and keep my mental state in the right place, knowing that the right position would be waiting for me as long as I worked hard towards my goal.

Out of the blue I received a call for an interview for an elementary position! This is what I originally wanted to teach, but HR indicated that elementary was saturated and very difficult to get hired in (the reason why I got the generalist 4-8 cert). The following day I had the most amazing interview and the principal recommended me for the position the same week!

My very first interview ever for a teacher position and I snagged the job:thumb: it IS possible, so don't get discouraged! I wanted to encourage everyone to stay positive and working towards their goals.

This book helped me keep my mind in the right state: Law of Attraction by Michael J. Losier

The joy is in the journey folks! Enjoy the best of success!!!! :hugs:

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 27, 2012

Congrats!

Thanks for sharing your story!

4. TeachTN

TeachTN Comrade

Jun 27, 2012

I thought you were trying to stay away from law :)

It's great to see that there is hope - congrats!!!

5. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jun 27, 2012

Congratulations! :)

6. dream2bateach

dream2bateach Rookie

Jun 27, 2012

Thanks for posting! It's definitely great to hear a success story especially from someone who also took the non-traditional route into teaching.

7. ready2teachintx

ready2teachintx Companion

Jun 27, 2012

Congrats! Great to hear this:)

8. elateacher4life

elateacher4life Cohort

Jun 27, 2012

Congratulations on your job!

9. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jun 27, 2012

Congrats!! What will you be teaching?

10. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jun 27, 2012

Awesome! Congrats!

11. mathguy_2332

mathguy_2332 Rookie

Jun 27, 2012

Congrats!!

so I am curious; how long did you sub before you were called into an interview?
    Congrats on your big job!!

12. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 27, 2012

Congratulations!

13. omnipadme

omnipadme Rookie

Jul 3, 2012

I only subbed about 2 days a week since February 2012- thanks!

14. omnipadme

omnipadme Rookie

Jul 3, 2012

hahaha:lol: cant get away from it!

15. omnipadme

omnipadme Rookie

Jul 3, 2012

LA & Social Studies 3rd grade- thanks!