Some adviced needed

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by kevmic28, Apr 25, 2012.

1. kevmic28

kevmic28 Companion

Apr 25, 2012

I am currently in a long term sub position for the end of the year. The teacher I am subbing for has been in and out of school for most of the year due to illness. Subbing is going fine. after 3 weeks I am finally getting control of the classes and they understand I am not leaving like all the other subs.
    Heres where I need the advice. This morning I get to school and find out the teacher I am subbing for died this morning. Then later we found out she is in the ICU and not expected to make it. She is on life support till her son makes it in from Afganistan. Now the kids dont know anything but I feel like the teachers are all looking at me like I did this to her. They have stopped talking to me. I have never met the teacher and have never talked bad about her. Does anyone have any advice for me how to handle this?

3. cult

cult Rookie

Apr 25, 2012

Sympathize with your colleagues for their loss, and don't take it personally. It's got nothing to do with you. Just keep showing up and doing your job. Your students will need you.

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Apr 25, 2012

I'm sure that the other teachers don't believe that you did this to her. They are probably just sad.

5. kevmic28

kevmic28 Companion

Apr 25, 2012

I know they dont feel that way. But its the looks Im getting. You know...

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 26, 2012

Hugs, kevmic28. It sounds like the staff's in shock - I'd guess that either the staff's very close-knit or that this teacher is well-loved.

Had you met the teacher?

7. kevmic28

kevmic28 Companion

Apr 26, 2012

No I have never met her. But I have subbed in the school a couple times before I picked up the LTS.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 26, 2012

The staff is in shock and mourning...it's tough. If they make a contribution in her name to a charity or send food to her amily, it would be nice if you joined in. Just hold your head up, be there for the kids...it's going to be rough on them when they find out.:(

9. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Apr 26, 2012

As others have said, they are in shock. When we lost one of our teachers several years ago, we probably weren't as warm to her replacement as we could have been. It was difficult to see someone else in her room, with her students. Hang in there; the shock will abate somewhat, although the grief will be there for quite some time. It isn't, however, anything personal directed against you.