Solutions to no Document Camera

Discussion in 'General Education' started by horned_Frog89, Aug 20, 2016.

1. horned_Frog89

horned_Frog89 Companion

Aug 20, 2016

Our school has enough document cameras (Elmos) for 1 department. Last year, math (me) had the Elmos. This year, we will not be receiving them.

How do you run your math class with no document cameras? I've been brainstorming and I"m thinking about putting everything into a powerpoint and project from their. Luckily, a good chunk of my stuff in already on my computer, so I don't think that'll be too big of a deal. My main concern here, is that I can get word problems onto the screen so that my students and I can work through our solving strategies (CUBES).

Most of the others' concerns were regarding the foldables we do for interactive notebooks - folding, cutting, gluing. Y'all know the drill. Our tech person said taking pictures of a pre-made one and putting it in power point was effective. Any experience with this?

We DO have a teacher IPAD with an airsever, so I think I'll run everything through that so I can be walking around the classroom running the powerpoint or document or whatever.

I know that we can use the Ipads as a document camera with a stand, but the stands we have are very basic and is not tall enough to show an entire page width wise, even with the Ipad zoomed all the way out. The stand also doesn't have an extra light source, so it is very dim on the screen. Overall, it's not a very good replacement so I don't think I will utilizing the Ipad as a document camera much.

This year, I had planned to implement Teach Like a Champion's "Show Call" technique where I put a student' work on the screen. Obviously without a document camera this is an issue. My boyfriend, who using an ipad everyday for his job, suggested just taking a photo of the student's work and putting it up through the airserver...has anyone tried this??

Basically, I need a lot of help!!

3. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Aug 20, 2016

I hardly ever use my document camera any more. I mostly either do the "old fashion" way and just model the action for them at the front of the classroom (I will sometimes group my 6 tables together to make 1 big table if there's a lot of show them) or I will take a picture of their work with my smart phone and I email it or share it to my Google drive so I can post it up on my Smartboard (which I don't even use as a Smartboard, just a glorified projector now since I have a touch screen laptop that I can also write on).

4. shoreline02

shoreline02 Cohort

Aug 20, 2016

Do you have an interactive white board?

5. horned_Frog89

horned_Frog89 Companion

Aug 20, 2016

No, it's just a regular whiteboard. We have doceri for the iPads, but I have no idea how to use it as I never used the iPad for anything.

6. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Aug 20, 2016

It won't solve your immediate problem, but why not ask for a doc cam on donors choose? I can't live without my doc cam!

otterpop likes this.
  7. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Aug 20, 2016

I agree that you can pretty easily model the "old fashioned" way from the front of the room. I have a doc cam in my room but I can barely use it because it's in such a weird part of the room. It's almost easier to model from the front because of where all my teaching technology is located. :/
    If you have an iPad and an apple TV (or something similar) I think you could probably get it to mirror the camera though. Use the iPad as a document camera if possible - mount the ipad with the camera on and mirrored, then model underneath.

8. Lisabobisa

Lisabobisa Companion

Aug 20, 2016

If you have a tv you can buy an hdmi converter cord to project the iPad's cameras a well

9. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Aug 20, 2016

Hmm... I wonder if it would be possible to hook up a webcam and point it at your desk area, and then project that way when you're showing how to do foldables?

I use my document camera all the time! That's a weird situation for your school to have - it's not fair for you to have the technology one year and not the next.

10. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Aug 20, 2016

Can't you just buy one? Go on Ebay and get one for around $100? Or put into Donor's Choose for one?

nstructor likes this.
  11. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Aug 21, 2016

It might be cheaper to get a better stand for the iPad than to get a document camera. We use our iPads as document cameras, and this is the stand we have: http://ipaddocumentcamera.com/products/justand-v2-includes-electronics-module

It works very well. $140 has to be less than most document cameras. You could easily get that on Donors Choose if you could find it from one of their vendors... Or maybe adopt a classroom? You can just get money towards something on there.

12. TheGr8Catsby

TheGr8Catsby Rookie

Aug 22, 2016

Honestly, I would just buy one. There are some on Amazon for $50.