solids/liquids unit introduction

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by jumpingbean13, Feb 26, 2010.

1. jumpingbean13

jumpingbean13 New Member

Feb 26, 2010

hello! I am currently student teaching and was handed last minute a task to be in charge of a unit for solids and liquids which needs to begin next week!!!! I am looking for some ideas for a great introduction lesson to start off my unit. I would like to incorporate some writing and even drawing in these activities (a big thing in my district).

Currently my idea is to have centers with different bottles of liquids and solids. I was going to have the students move from center to center and draw/write what they observed in each bottle. The writing/drawing worksheet would be added to a science journal.

Any other ideas or maybe some ideas to help develop my current suggestion?

3. vsimpkins

vsimpkins Comrade

Feb 26, 2010

I just did Solids, Liquids and Gases with my class. We made a flap foldable. Fold White construction paper in half (24x18) like a hot dog. Cut the top half to make 3rds. Label each flap Solids, Liquids, and Gases. Have students open flap and write a definition for each and draw pictures for each. I modeled this and gave each definition to students. They would draw and color their pictures. We also have a science lab and she had rock, yarn sand paper, and a block. Students would feel and circle rough, smooth, hard soft, etc. Then for liquids, she had them pour colored water from a measuring cup with a spout and they would pour into a cup, then a pie tin and draw and color what they see. For Gases, she had a balloon and blew it up and had students observe and draw, then she blew bubbles and students observed and draw. They enjoyed this. Do you have a smartboard?

4. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Feb 28, 2010

Maybe you can tie in Dr.Suess's Oobleck since its his Bday on Tuesday?

5. ranger1stgrd

ranger1stgrd Companion

Mar 14, 2010

I like to do Rootbeer Floats, ice cream is my solid, rootbeer my liquid and the foam and bubbles are my gas and the kids love it

6. vsimpkins

vsimpkins Comrade

Mar 14, 2010

Thanks for all the great ideas.

7. Grover

Grover Cohort

Mar 18, 2010

I always like to put some non-Newtonion solids in there as well. Can't recall the exact formula, but I think you can make a pretty good one from cornstarch and water. Basically nns's behave like liquids at low velocities and solids at high velocities. With enough of it, you can 'walk on water', until you stop moving, then you sink. Mythbusters had an episode on this.

8. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Mar 19, 2010

We made chocolate chip cookies when we did solids and liquids. We also made Oobleck.

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 19, 2010

Oobleck
    Materials Needed

1 1/2 C. Corn Starch

1 C. Water

Food Color (optional)

10. Grover

Grover Cohort

Mar 19, 2010

Nice to know it has a name now.

11. Falcon Flyer

Falcon Flyer Companion

Mar 28, 2010

I definitely recommend the corn starch/water activity, just make sure you set some ground rules first, or you'll end up with white powder all over the room. Also, DO NOT pour it down the sink, as it will clog the drains.

Another activity I have done is to have the kids draw the outline of a solid, liquid, and gas, and then use hole protectors to show what the molecules would look like.

Finally, they love to act out the molecules. Take the kids outside. When you call out "solid" they all have to get in a tight bunch, "liquid," they move slowly and wave their arms, "gas," they get to run around. Keep calling out different states of matter randomly. This is definitely a crowd pleaser.

12. HomeschoolMama

HomeschoolMama New Member

Apr 23, 2010

Great game idea!

Love the root beer float idea as well, my oldest son LOVES them (as do I), you may have inspired a science experiment for tomorrow!:D