Solar system fun

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by IwannaTeach, Dec 18, 2005.

1. IwannaTeach

IwannaTeach Rookie

Dec 18, 2005

My kids are going to be learning about the solar system. I was looking for suggestions of fun activities I can do with them (I'm a student-teacher). I'd like them to do a model of the solar system in class. Any websites where I can find materials for that? Anything else that would be interesting to do with them?

3. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Dec 18, 2005

Hint for remembering the name of the planets. My Very Excellent Mother Just Served Us Nine Pizzas.

4. gigi

gigi Groupie

Dec 18, 2005

We made planets from CD's, such as the free ones received in the mail or you find in stores. Cut a stryofoam ball in half, glue to both sides of the cd. Decorate with glitter and glue and hang from ceiling. They came out nice.

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Dec 18, 2005

I had the kids write letters home from other planets. They had to include info about their planet. They were very funny.

6. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Dec 18, 2005

We made paper mache planets, I'll see if I can find the paper with the scale (I know we used one of those bouncy ball balloons for Jupiter). In college when we were studying the moon phases we used Ritz and round cuts of cheese to show the moon phases. We cut the cheese slices in the shapes of the phases and laid them on the Ritz, then we arranged them in order.

7. kabd54

kabd54 Cohort

Dec 18, 2005

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 19, 2005

My dear friend Jon Hodge was for years the planetarium director at Santa Monica College and before that was a well-known lecturer at Griffith Park Planetarium in Los Angeles. He has devoted his life to educating people about science and in particular about the universe. Last April I asked him what he wished teachers could know about the universe. Here's his answer:

Jon is now in hospice care - way too soon: he will be much missed - but I would expect that the links are still available, and it would please him to know that people are still using them and still sharing his wonder.

9. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Dec 19, 2005

10. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Dec 19, 2005