Social Studies

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by Pac, Nov 14, 2008.

1. Pac

Pac Rookie

Nov 14, 2008

Hey ya'll,

Our class is starting our European Exploration and Colonization focus in Social Studies. I want to focus on the Spanish, Portuguese, and Italians..etc. Does anyone have any good ideas? I don't want to just read from the text....I would rather have some fun activities.

Thanks in advance,

3. patsfan82

patsfan82 Rookie

Nov 14, 2008

I have my students make Explorer Trading Cards, just like baseball players. The back includes their "stats": country from, country sponsored, years exploring, goal, success/fail, unique fact. They draw an illustration on the front of the explorer with his name.

4. Pac

Pac Rookie

Nov 14, 2008

COOL...sounds great

thanks

5. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Nov 14, 2008

6. goopp

goopp Devotee

Nov 14, 2008

WE are finishing up our explorers unit. Some of the projects we did were: every student made a time line with the explorers who are in our standards. They had to have the dates of explorations, why they explored and what they are known for (greatest accomplishment). We also did maps of the explorers routes. They were all on 1 map, then we brushed tea on them. Once they dried they looked like old maps. We also did brochures that Juan Ponce de Leon might have handed out to get sailors to go with him on his search for the fountain of youth. They enjoyed making those.

7. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Nov 21, 2008

Once you are into the colonization, I have my students create a flyer to convince someone "thinking" of moving to America to move to their colony.(we focused on New England, Middle and Southern colonies). Kids love it-and it is interesting to see how they convince me!