Social Studies

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by njteach41, Jun 21, 2007.

1. njteach41

njteach41 Middle School Social Studies Teacher

Jun 21, 2007

I'm planning on taking the Praxis II (Middle School Social Studies) 0089, test this year. I wanted to know what you thought would be the best way to study for this. The test prep books are really expensive and I'm not sure if they're worth it. Should I buy old middle school text books, or books? If so, what do you recommend? Thanks for the Advice!

3. pmfawcett

pmfawcett Rookie

Jun 21, 2007

I took the test about 4 years ago. I bought the test prep book because I was also taking the english test. It was very helpful. I also borrowed a couple college level text books from my university's library that covered the subject on the test. I wouldn't use middle school text books as they don't go into enough detail. YOu will need the detail and coverage that a college level text book gives.
    Good luck!

4. njteach41

njteach41 Middle School Social Studies Teacher

Jun 21, 2007

what test prep book did you buy? so i should really look at college history textbook and like ap guides? thanks so much

5. pmfawcett

pmfawcett Rookie

Jun 21, 2007

I bought the prep book that praxis offers. At one time they had prep work for all 4 of the middle school tests in one book. I'm not sure if they still do it that way. Yes, I think that the amount of material and the detail that college history tests go into really would help. I can remember that there were at least 10 questions on the test where I can remember reading the answers in the text book. When my brother graduated from HS, the AP history teacher was getting new books and he let students keep the old ones. I know I used that (essentially re-read it after 8 years!) one to study from and two world history books that covered the Stone Age and Ancient civilizations. The questions they ask are not middle school level. They ask serious college-educated level questions that a teacher certified to teach middle school should be able to answer.
    Hope that helps.