Social Studies Yikes!

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by sophie1, Jun 30, 2009.

1. sophie1

sophie1 Comrade

Jun 30, 2009

I've never been happy with my social studies curriculum and the truth is my school doesn't have any sort of "program." I make up the curriculum myself as I try my best to correlate it to the NYS standards.

I want the best for my students and could use some help or suggestions. Any thoughts, plans, ideas will be appreciated!

3. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2009

I, too, am on my own with Social Studies at my school but I kinda like that because I'm not locked in to teaching certain topics at certain times of the year except, of course, Black History, Women's History, etc...things like that. Otherwise, I am free to decide how fast or slow, how broad or in depth to go. I tweak it a little each year to try to fit in what I can in a way that will be meaningful to my particular group of students.
    I use the unit topics as a guide and pick out my own materials to teach with from workbooks, online resources, text, almanacs, worksheets, manipulatives, reader's theater, skits, plays, novels, researching, magazines, newspapers, etc...the resources are always changing. I just make sure that I build my curriculum with available resources as I use them or find them. this makes each following year easier. I used just the book the first year and I was SO BORED!!! Imagine my poor students!

4. corney

corney Companion

Jul 1, 2009

the school my daughter went to used the weekly reader as their Social Studies cirriculum. Because she doesn't grasp on to things quickly she always got bad grades in it.. It was all reading based and the questionaire at the end was graded. Needless to say she didn't do well. Average grade D. It is a great tool, but I don't think using it soley is a good idea. Just my 2 cents. :D

5. sophie1

sophie1 Comrade

Jul 1, 2009

Thank you both for your comments!

No, really? A weekly reader is not a substitute for a program. I'm so sorry. I do a lot with the students but never feel what I'm doing is enough... love the comments keep them coming! I'd love to hear what you do specifically or where you get materials... THANKS!

6. mrs100

mrs100 Comrade

Jul 5, 2009

Hi there! Just like you, we are given topics to cover, but not much to use to get it done. What I did is spent a good chunk of time creating my own binder for each unit. I numbered each lesson, put in a quick blurb of what to do, then put clear plastic sleeves numbered with each lesson that contains any reproducibles I might need. It took awhile to put together, but man is it easy to use! I have one for careers/local government, and one for national government. If either of these sound useful to you, I'd be glad to send you a copy!