Social studies WWII lesson including Superheros?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by blackbolt_2017, May 17, 2019.

1. blackbolt_2017

blackbolt_2017 Rookie

May 17, 2019

Hey everyone. I'm looking for a lesson or help in designing a social studies lesson about the Second World War including Superheros and Comic books in particular Captain America and Superman but definitely open to other Superheros and Comic books to use. Anyway thanks everyone

3. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

May 17, 2019

Let's start by focusing. What is the main thing you want your students to learn as a result of your lesson? That will help focus the materials and activities you'll want to use.

4. Mr.history

Mr.history Cohort

May 17, 2019

What age range are you teaching?
    I would do something centered around propaganda and how comic books and cartoons were used to influence the feelings of kids in World War II.

Superman Cartoons from WWII

Just google superman world war II propaganda and you will find a ton of stuff. Walt Disney had some great ones using donald duck and other characters from the era too. I would create like an analysis sheet and have the students write what they see in each document and then analyze what they think it means. Then you could have them write a mini essay talking about how propaganda influenced kids in world war II or they could create a podcast or some other multimedia product where they discuss their feelings or their favorite propaganda they found.