Social Studies Unit projects

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by Divine, Mar 2, 2010.

1. Divine

Divine Rookie

Mar 2, 2010

I have to teach a 5th grade class on: Exploration & Settlement; The English Colonies; The American Revolution for a month. Does anyone have any projects for these theme units? If so please help me, My teacher wants me to not rely on teacher's text book, but to give students hands on activities or "real life connections" as she calls it. What kind of assessment to use for those units?!
    Let meknow if you want to send it to my email.
    Thanks,

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 2, 2010

I don't teach elementary OR Social Studies, but some old standbys come to mind:

-How about a diary, or letters back home, from an early Settler?
    -A piece of propaganda that would have been written by both sides as the Revolution approached?
    - An issue of Common Sense?
    - A daily newspaper from one (or each) of the original colonies
    - The Declaration of Independance/ Constitution as THEY would have written them
    -How about political advertisements/ flyers for our very first president?
    -Op Ed pieces on both sides of the Boston Tea Party?
    -letters home from soliders at the front lines during the Revolution?
    - A newspaper account about Paul Revere's ride

What fun it would be to teach that topic!!

4. patsfan82

patsfan82 Rookie

Mar 18, 2010

I have my students create PowerPoint presentations at the end of our explorer unit. They work with a partner and each pair gets assigned an explorer. I give them questions to use as a guide for each slide.

After we learn about the 13 colonies, I have the class create models of buildings they would see there. They also write a brief description of their structure and what it's purpose was. I have seen models of a meetinghouse, blacksmith shop, sawmill, backcountry home, etc. This year a few students even recreated an entire plantation that was HUGE!

We write ABC books for our Revolutionary war unit.

5. cateste

cateste Companion

Mar 30, 2010

6. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Apr 9, 2010

My students open the Explorer Museum every year at the end of the exploration unit. They are given an explorer, create a speech detailing their life, and create a "Bio-Board" to bring their character to life.

For colonial living, I invite my dad (a retired history teacher) to come and do a colonial crafts day. We keep it simple and "churn" butter, use wax seals, and create tin punch decorations

The American Revolution is my favorite time of the year! I show parts of Liberty's Kids from PBS, we sing the America Rocks videos over and over again until they are memorized. We also put on short reader's theater type plays. I give each class a different play, and at the end of the unit, we all get together to present the plays to each other and have a big sing along! Super fun and the kids are still singing the songs when they get to eighth grade!!

7. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

Apr 13, 2010

My students are doing a colony project right now where they have to create their own colonies with certain criteria. They are to write a 3-5 page paper explaining things like why they decided to leave their native country, what kind of water source they live by, laws that the colonists must abide by, etc. Then they also build a piece or the whole colony, no bigger than their desks.
    If you want more information, pm me and I will send you some information.

8. Lionteacher

Lionteacher Companion

Apr 30, 2010

Next week we are going to be researching the 3 branches of government, the constitution and your duty as citizen. A group will be in charged in each and then they will put together a power point presentation to teach the other students.

We just finished mystery booklets in which the students each had an important person from the Revolution era. The students looked up "cool" facts about the person and then end with person. We read our clues to the class so they all learn about the people and they get excited about the facts they find.

Native Americans we made different houses for the tribes, filled out a map as to where they lived, diary entries from the Native's perspectives. We also read novels dealing with native Americans and they made totem poles in art class along with clay story tellers.

9. katenar

katenar Cohort

Apr 30, 2010

For the past two years I've done the Explorer Simulation for Scholastic. My kids loved it both years! This year I tried the American Revolution one as well......it was fun but not nearly as great as the Explorers.

10. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

May 15, 2010

Me too! That is what I was going to suggest. I think there is another simulation for American Revolution, but I have never seen or used it. The other one I have is for creating laws from bills.

11. katenar

katenar Cohort

May 19, 2010

I've used the one for the American Revolution too. It's good.....but not as awesome as the Explorers one.

12. teachgrade5

teachgrade5 Comrade

Jul 14, 2010

I have my students select a historical person from the American Revolution. They research the person and write a speech. They then dress the part and give the speech in first person. It has been a big hit for the last 3 or 4 years that I have done this project with my students.