Social Studies Teachers

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Soccer Dad, Jan 7, 2010.

1. Soccer Dad

Soccer Dad Cohort

Jan 7, 2010

I have been re-making all of my worksheets, lesson plans and handouts for my upcoming units. However, I changed a lot of my assignments and now I'm worried I've made them too time-consuming. However, it's an Honors level course and we certainly have the time (it's January and we just started the Constitution--we're required to get up to the Causes of the Civil War by the end of June).

I'm not sure how to upload documents on here (of if you even can) so if you just click on the link below you can see my assignments.

I would really appreciate any feedback because we start the next unit on Monday and I don't want to run off the photocopies if I'm going to make any changes.

(Some of the worksheets included on there are for class work so those I'm not worried about.)

http://hallowellhistory.wikispaces.com/Honors+U.S.+History

3. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Jan 7, 2010

I have an easy suggestion for you: include the page numbers on the worksheets which correspond with the text.

4. Soccer Dad

Soccer Dad Cohort

Jan 7, 2010

Oh, I just uploaded the cover page. I have a sheet with all the assignments and page numbers on it.

5. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Jan 7, 2010

Whoops, I missed that. Sorry!

6. Soccer Dad

Soccer Dad Cohort

Jan 7, 2010

It was my fault, I forgot to upload it.

7. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Jan 7, 2010

I wish I could show you mine we use moodle and its locked to guests. It may also be a good idea to include your class syllabus. I always include mine.

8. Soccer Dad

Soccer Dad Cohort

Jan 7, 2010

Oh, and I have another section of homework called "Other Assignments." I couldn't upload the PDF because of size but it's:

1) Create a poster that (computer paper) compares/contrasts AOC and Constitution

2) " " TJ and Hamilton

3) Write 4 mini-biographies (100 words each) on GW, Hamilton, Jefferson & Madison

9. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Jan 7, 2010

If you ever need a job in MA Chris let me know. You clearly are a hardworking teacher.

10. Soccer Dad

Soccer Dad Cohort

Jan 7, 2010

I actually went to college at BU for two years after transferring from Binghamton in NY. I wish I still lived there but that's over 20 years ago!

And you're right, I should upload my syllabus but it'll have to wait because it's saved at school.

And I can't take all the credit...I got the Bill of Rights worksheet from a coworker and the reading packets I allude to come from a retired teacher's lesson plan.

11. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Jan 7, 2010

What are reading packets?

12. Soccer Dad

Soccer Dad Cohort

Jan 7, 2010

I can't upload them because they're copies from a book. But they're these mini-essay style readings on the AOC, the Constitutional Convention, the Con and ratification. I have them read them, highligh them and take Cornell notes (they have some time in class to work on them, too).

13. Soccer Dad

Soccer Dad Cohort

Jan 7, 2010

And I also have primary sources I give out (political cartoons, The Federalist Papers (10 & 51), a letter from Ben Franklin and a passage on slavery).

14. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Jan 7, 2010

I like this! I may have to borrow the idea for my 8th grade class.

15. futureiowateach

futureiowateach Rookie

Jan 8, 2010

Amazing resources, if you don't mind I plan to bookmark the link for future use.

16. Soccer Dad

Soccer Dad Cohort

Jan 8, 2010

Futureiowateach, that's fine, I hope they come in handy.

But my question remains, is it too much work? Years past, I never gave as many reading assignments. However, I think they're of real value, especially for social studies.

I was also going to give a DBQ in class on strict vs. loose interp. of the Constitution (an old AP DBQ), but decided to give it over break because I though it was too much work.

17. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Jan 8, 2010

I did not find it to be too much work.

18. swigardanne

swigardanne New Member

Jan 9, 2010

I have checked your upload documents. You have made a good assignment. :thumb:

19. futureiowateach

futureiowateach Rookie

Jan 10, 2010

Sorry... haha, No I don't think it is too much work, especially for an AP level course, my AP level course in Government my Senior year had an incredible amount of work, including the Lanahan Readings in the American Polity, we read almost the entire book and had a second text book and readings, not to mention tons of papers...

20. Mr. A

Mr. A Rookie

Jan 10, 2010

Well I deal mostly with English teachers, but here's my feedback (such as it is):

1. I doubt that you have as much time as you think.
    2. What I saw were the handouts that listed "Three-Fifths Compromise," etc. It looks like you could do a whole page (indeed a whole essay) of responses for each of these things.

You've chosen good stuff to cover but I would caution against paying short shrift to any of these items.

21. looneyteachr

looneyteachr Companion

Jan 14, 2010

one thing i would suggest to remember is that honors doesn't mean the kids do more work - they work in a different kind of way - get into subject content more deeply?

22. looneyteachr

looneyteachr Companion

Jan 14, 2010

looks like a lot of the worksheets are double-entry journals - do you ever use hands-on activities - gallery walks, fishbowls, jigsaws to learn the materials?