Social Studies Project For Traditions & Culture

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Youngteacher226, Sep 11, 2011.

1. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Sep 11, 2011

Hello all!

I am brainstorming a possible take home project that I can assign my kiddos that will correlate with our social studies unit on communities, hoping to branch off into traditions & culture and how traditions are passed down in a family. That being said, has anyone done a project like this? Something that will have the students work with their parents/families to create something that will present a family tradition, recipe, something....that is passed down from generation to generation? Last year, my 3rd graders did a "family tree" project and it was nice. We hit two learning standards at once. But the project was very tedious! I was hoping to find something a bit simpler but creative.

Any ideas will be a big help! Thanks a bunch!

3. dbcteacher

dbcteacher Rookie

Sep 12, 2011

We are just finishing a "shutter book". I asked my students to talk to family members and come up with family traditions and information about interesting family members. Then they were to draw a picture of or have a photograph of each tradition or interesting family member. We made the shutter book in class so they would be made correctly. All other work has been done at home. We are sharing these on Wednesday.

4. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Sep 12, 2011

What is a "shutter book"?

5. dbcteacher

dbcteacher Rookie

Sep 12, 2011

It is one of Dinah Zike's foldables. Some of her foldables are found in the Teacher Resource book of the Treasure's reading series. I found two of her books at the library. Her Big Book of Books and Big Book of Projects. I believe that the shutter book is in both of these books. She puts a different twist on the standard projects. All projects are done by folding paper to make a book or some other form of display. She offers workshops, but she is too expensive for my small school.

6. student1st

student1st Rookie

Sep 14, 2011

I had my students make model of their community or really any community in particular. Then each student wrote about their community and also shared a fiction or non fiction about a family in the community. Most of my students wrote about their own family.