Social Studies Interviews

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by LifeIsAThrill, Apr 29, 2015.

1. LifeIsAThrill

LifeIsAThrill Rookie

Apr 29, 2015

I have an interview coming up for a high school social studies teaching position. I got my 7-12 certification in Pennsylvania as part of a master's in English education two years ago and took the Praxis in social studies last year. I got a great score on my English Praxis and an acceptable score on my social studies Praxis.

I am super happy about this interview, because I would rather teach social studies, even though my student teaching and long term subbing experiences were in high school English (and even though I have way more expertise in English than social studies). I have recently started reading the journal Social Education and have been searching the Web for a crash course for current social studies education trends.

There are past experiences from English class lessons that I think I can still use if I emphasis their historical or critical thinking aspects.

Social studies teachers: what are the specific things about teaching social studies that you had to address in job interviews? Do you have any other social studies interview advice?

3. andstuff

andstuff Rookie

Apr 30, 2015

I would stress the use of technology in your lessons. Be specific as you can on how you would use them. Making your lessons as hands on as possible. I find that a lot of social studies classes consist of notes --- homework --- test --- repeat. Use hands on lessons, something that breaks up the material and the students get to feel what your talking discussing.

Really focus on getting the students to think critically about the material.

4. LifeIsAThrill

LifeIsAThrill Rookie

Apr 30, 2015

Thank you!

5. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Apr 30, 2015

Technology and hands-on is important.

Also, the CommonCore standards have literacy standards for all content areas. You can see the Grades 9-10 here http://www.corestandards.org/ELA-Literacy/RH/9-10/ and you can find the ones for 11-12 at the link, too.

Close reading of primary documents is an important skill.

6. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Apr 30, 2015

But social studies have CommonCore literacy standards.

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 30, 2015

:thumb: CCSS calls upon all content area teachers to teach ELA across the curriculum.

8. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

May 1, 2015

CommonCore has literacy standards for all content areas. The literacy standards for Social Studies are different than the ones for ELA. ELA has writing standards, reading standards, language standards, and speaking & listening standards.

9. voltaire

voltaire Rookie

May 2, 2015

Life is a thrill - I agree with ku - try to use some literacy terms and common core buzzwords! I feel that the idea of other core subjects being there to support ELA is a huge trend right now and I have had huge success with talking about social studies as another tool for literacy - that's how I got my interview coming up in 10 days - I went to a job fair and really hit on that thought through many of my screening questions. And boom! I got the interview. I even use my own story as an example - I'm not a huge fiction reader, and social studies was always my favorite class. I gained many of my own literacy skills and critical thinking skills through social studies and not ELA. Primary source/DBQ are also good areas to aim for. And like everyone else said - technology is huge and try to be specific about it! Not just vague "I plan to use technology in my classroom" but how you plan to use it with a specific example. Don't be afraid to use google to your advantage with this! Before I went to the job fair, I googled "Common Core buzzwords" and the results really helped me focus on what to say.

10. LifeIsAThrill

LifeIsAThrill Rookie

May 4, 2015

At my interview I was told they will also soon be looking for a new English teacher, I will hear back by the end of the week. They really didn't ask subject-specific questions, and I just used my real experiences. Thanks for your help.

11. voltaire

voltaire Rookie

May 5, 2015

Wow is all I can say to this response. Where in my comment did I say that if you're anti-common core, you should pretend to support it? I was simply trying to give someone a tip from my perspective. And from my perspective, this is something that works. No offense, but social studies IS there to support ELA. So to me, ELA standards do apply to social studies. Sorry you don't see it that way.

Lifeisathrill - BEST OF LUCK TO YOU!! I was only trying to help you out with tips form my perspective. I hope you took it as such.

12. voltaire

voltaire Rookie

May 5, 2015

:agreed::agreed::agreed: ku - I'm sorry that anon believes that there are not Common Core literacy standards for social studies. There are and you and I both know it. The end.

13. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

May 5, 2015

Thanks. I didn't want to continue the argument. The standards are called "Grades 6-12 Literacy in History/Social Studies" ... but, whatevs. I get that there are additional standards for social studies, but CommonCore provides literacy standards for social studies, too.

14. andstuff

andstuff Rookie

May 6, 2015

I know there are as well, I used them for a semester of student teaching.

15. chasisaac

chasisaac Comrade

May 20, 2015

Your English will help.

The most common question for social studies is . . . what sports can you coach?

I know that is allegedly not fair to say . . . it is mostly true.

16. happybat4

happybat4 Rookie

May 21, 2015

Always bring up primary sources. Say that you do gallery walks with primary sources.

Mention group work in your lessons where students are actively involved in the lesson. Example is reading a primary source about a farmer during the dust bowl. Students than need to make a poster about that particular person. When students are all finished with poster you have a gallery walk where students take not on living conditions of various people during the Great Depression.

Don't worry about praxis score. As long as you pass. In my experience admin does not give a crap about what scores you got, as long as you scored high enough to get your certification.

17. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

May 21, 2015

Ok, my state doesn't have Common Core, so I know little to nothing about it, its standards or how they apply to various classes, so this is not a commentary on any of that rigmarole above. But is that really the attitude that your state/district has towards Social Studies/History? That we're only there to support ELA? If so, that's sad.

I wonder if SS teachers in Common Core states feel underappreciated/underutilized? There are so many ways ELA and SS can be crossed and worked together, but it's kind of odd to say that the purpose of knowing our nation's history is just to support ELA. :S

Again, I have no opinion (or real knowledge) of Common Core; that statement just hit me as a Social Studies teacher.

18. chasisaac

chasisaac Comrade

May 21, 2015

I taught social studies for four years as my first subject. I have left social studies (before commoncore) because I felt under appreciated and under utilized. After moving into the more "important" (read tested on yearly basis) subjects I see even more where SS is an add-on. I am more convinced than ever that most schools would dump SS if they could.