Social Studies Ideas

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by megawinn, Aug 30, 2010.

1. megawinn

megawinn Rookie

Aug 30, 2010

I am a brand new teacher. :) After a year long job search, I was offered a half time teaching position at a high school. I was offered the job the weekend before school started for teachers. A week after school started, I was offered a full time position!!! I am so happy to be teaching and excited for a new year. I've read really amazing advice on this forum and I've gathered some great ideas. I would really love some advice, examples, ideas, etc. for teaching World Civilization and AP U.S. History. I am specifically hoping to get some class activity ideas but I would welcome any advice!

Thank you so much!

3. Soccer Dad

Soccer Dad Cohort

Sep 6, 2010

Hi and welcome to A to Z. You're definitely in the right spot. I teach history as well and have taught those courses you've mentioned.

Before I bombard you with lesson plans, worksheets, and everything in between, how are you teaching World Civilizations? In other words, is it chronological or regional? Also, is it year 1, year 2 or combined?

As for APUSH, I recommend you message a user on here called Brendan. He's a great APUSH teacher and very helpful with lesson plans--he's helped me a lot with my own planning.

4. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Sep 6, 2010

I would add, for APUSH, to access the Teacher's Guide on the college board site. The Teacher's Guide offers a great pacing guide, access to released DBQ's/FRQ's, some classroom activities, and many other helpful resources. Make sure you get a hold of old APUSH released multiple choice questions and use them with your students. The most important thing for APUSH is pacing. You HAVE to get to present day history for your students to be able to pass the test. I would also suggest you look into AP training in your area. In my state, a one day training is offered every year Butler University. Check on the college board site or if you have other AP teachers in your building, they probably are aware of when and where the training is offered.

Like Soccer Dad, I have taught World History almost every year that I have taught. I have lots of "stuff" be need more info like soccerdad mentioned.

Good luck and let us know want you need - we are all here to help :)

5. megawinn

megawinn Rookie

Sep 6, 2010

thanks

Thanks for the response!

I am teaching a year long course of World History that will be chronological. I feel confident with the content but I want to present it in a way that will be interesting for the student. Also, I teach an 85 minute class and I do not like to use direct lecture for more than 20 to 25 minutes as the students have a short attention span.

As for the APUSH class, I have combined classes with a very experienced AP teacher in my school. There is a giant classroom in the school that we have put both classes in. Luckily, we both have an APUSH class at the same time. I am also going to AP training later next month.

I am mostly looking for creative activities for the students to complete during class.

Thanks for the help!

6. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Sep 7, 2010

I can most definately give you some lesson plan ideas. Just let me know some topics you need help with. Inteacher and I both teach APUSH (well I'm not this year) and I teach Freshman Western Civ. Inteacher, speaking of lesson plans....remember what you promised me :) (But really take your time!)

7. Navigator

Navigator Rookie

Sep 7, 2010

Hi, megawinn-

I'm a history teacher, too. This is my 17th year teaching APUSH, and I would be happy to share anything with you. I also taught World History for most of that time, but I haven't had any WH classes in five or six years.

Good luck! It sounds like you're off to a great start. :)

8. megawinn

megawinn Rookie

Sep 11, 2010

Lesson Ideas

I teach my first solo lesson for my AP U.S. History class on Tuesday. I am teaching about the French and Indian War and some of the international relations that caused Great Britain to tighten its controls on America. The teacher I work with generally lectures the class period but has expressed some interest in doing more activities in class. Any suggestions or successful lesson plans?