Social Studies/History Teachers, what kind of degree do you have?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education Archives' started by dillonr1, Jul 27, 2005.

1. dillonr1

dillonr1 Rookie

Jul 27, 2005

Hello all,
    I was just wondering if you all have a degree in history, or poly sci or what. At my college you can major in poly sci and be certified to teach history and social studies. I was just wondering that if I graduate with a degree in political science they will make me teach government more than history, even though i will be certified to teach both. Thanks! :)

3. stace615

stace615 Rookie

Jul 31, 2005

I have Social Studies certification for secondary - Also Elementary Ed, and a Master's in Science Education. I teach World History and US History. It depends on what the school is looking for and the state you want to teach in.

If you have your degree in poli-sci do you also have to take secondary social studies? Or do you just take a praxis to get your certification?

4. Tex-Teach

Tex-Teach Rookie

Jul 31, 2005

I double majored in English and History. I hold a Texas certification in English. I can also teach History because, under the NCLB Act, I can demonstrate competency with a second major in History. I do not have to take a certification exam in Texas for History, since my initial certification is in English, and I have a second major in History.

5. carolinesmom18

carolinesmom18 Rookie

Jul 31, 2005

I have a BA in Art History, an MAT in elementary ed, and I hold certifications in elementary ed, middle school english, and middle school social studies. This coming school year, I will be teaching 6th and 7th grade social studies and 7th grade english.

I guess it all depends on what position a school needs to fill and what your state's requirements are to teach particular subjects.

6. dillonr1

dillonr1 Rookie

Aug 3, 2005

well if i major in poly sci, i will have a degree to teach that and history (b/c even though i minor in it, it will give me certification to teach it)

7. shandannon1

shandannon1 Rookie

Aug 5, 2005

I have a degree in Social Studies,,and I am able to teach US History, OK History, World History, Economics, Government, and Geography.
    Social Studies covers a broad field.

8. mmeblue

mmeblue Rookie

Aug 6, 2005

My degree is a Bachelor of Science in History, Technology, & Society. HTS is an interdisciplinary history and sociology major with an emphasis on technology in many of the courses - history of technology, how technology and society have shaped one another, etc. (This is the closest thing Georgia Tech has to a history major.) I can teach anything that falls under the umbrella of "social studies." I made sure to take at least one class in each of those fields so that I wouldn't be completely uninformed in any of them - for example, I took a psychology class (ugh) as one of my social science electives. What I do teach is world history, American history, and civics, because those are the SS classes my school offers, as well as a Bible class.

I would think that schools look to hire someone who can teach social studies (in general) and then plug that person in to the classes where they need a teacher. I do wonder why, if you're wanting to teach history rather than government, you're not wanting to major in history. It seems to me like you would want to take as many college classes as possible in your preferred field.