social studies. - advice wanted

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by karmelo, Aug 2, 2015.

1. karmelo

karmelo Rookie

Aug 2, 2015

I just found out i will be teaching some classes at a school i have been a para at. I know i will teach 8th grade american history - 1 semester - 50 mins/day. I havent had a chance to discuss anything with the superintendent yet, but i want to start prepping. I also would love ideas (or links to) group projects. So far I am thinking of having the class divided into 5 minutes of bell work (journal prompt or reviews question), go over journal prompt/review/preview. Lecture - i think some type of interactice notebook would be a good idea. Review main idea. Then break into groups and have a small project - a poster, advertisement, song, brochure, skit - something to have them use the knowledge they just learned. Each group can have a different main group. Each group presents (about 2 minutes.) Then homew (or 1st day of chapter) ohomework - monday - maybe something to do with vocab/timeline of events, tuesday interpretting a primary source, wed a blank facebook fill in or diary of a specific person or group of people, thursday review - friday tst. I know it is a lot of information to cover in a small time frame.
    Thoughts and suggestions welcome!
    :)

3. karmelo

karmelo Rookie

Aug 2, 2015

I am sorry for the typos. I am typing on my phone.

4. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 3, 2015

I would try to make things as interactive as you can. The most successful junior high SS teacher I've ever seen is also one of the top 5 teachers I've ever seen. He made everything interactive and rarely lectured. He was able to dress up in character when appropriate. They even did a couple reenactments. The kids learned so much from him. I had a similar teacher in high school and it was amazing. During our WWII unit, he had a map the size of our room and we moved pieces around on it for different battles. It was very cool and helped it stick in my head.

When I taught 8th, they had short attention spans. I tried to mix things up so they were never doing the same thing for too long. That helped immensely.

Good luck!

5. karmelo

karmelo Rookie

Aug 3, 2015

Does anyone have a link to a thread with lots of interactice ideas and/or blogs they like? I am all ears! :)

6. kbee1219

kbee1219 Rookie

Aug 21, 2015

50 minutes sounds like a ton of time but really isn't. I teach 75 minutes. A typical day in my class looks like: Do Now (takes 10 minutes 5 to transition 5 to complete; more if you are going to review it) Direct instruction- notes,discussion(around 20) Independent practice- 25-35 some activity Closing (10 minutes). So you may need to do a concept longer than a day.

I have found this website helpful https://sites.google.com/site/mrroughton/

One general rule I follow is to teaching the story and general ideas of Social Studies don't get bogged down in super specific facts unless absolutely necessary.

7. HistoryTeach4

HistoryTeach4 Rookie

Aug 22, 2015

If you have access to laptops or ipads and a Smartboard or White Board these are some of the things my students really like. For their Do Now I use the poll everywhere site. I can either set up multiple choice or open ended questions. There is also Kahoot.com where you can create polls or quizzes that are more like games. I also end each lesson with a review using a Smartboard activity.

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 22, 2015

9. ~mrs.m~

~mrs.m~ Comrade

Aug 22, 2015

Social Studies

I would become familiar with Kagan cooperative learning structures. You could try about five different ones as ways of interacting and collaborating. If you ever get a chance to go to any trainings in that subject, I recommend them highly. Life changing as a teacher, in my opinion. I like round robin, stand up, hand up, pair up, quiz quiz trade, and rally coach among others.

If you have access to iPads creating Pic Collages (it is an app) on your different subjects is engaging. I would sometimes have them do them as previews or reviews to a lesson. Then use the stand up, hand up, pair up activity for them to share. I agree with Kahoot. You could possible have them create Kahoot games too to be shared with the class.

Will you have an interactive notebook? There is a lot of info available about those.

Good luck!

10. MLB711

MLB711 Comrade

Aug 24, 2015

You have really great ideas. My Do Nows are usually the short answer questions I'll give on test/quizzes so we can practice how I want them to answer. My overarching focus in 8th grade is writing within history. I show them a lot of quotes and longer primary source readings; we work together to analyze them given the context of the time period.
    Don't forget about maps. I feel like maps have gone by wayside in favor of tech, but I have always felt like the reason I have geographic literacy is because I colored and labeled SO MANY MAPS in junior high and high school. I don't see the same with my students so I make them do maps. US1 is not the easiest class to integrate maps but it's possible.
    I agree not to get bogged down in specifics if possible. Breeze through the colonies and Revolution - chances are that stuff is old hat. They're going to get stuck on the Constitution so break it up, but don't be afraid to make them struggle with the actual written document to make sense of it.
    Some units/lessons will take longer than one class period. I also teach 50-min periods and it often takes me 2 days to fully teach certain concepts. Do your best. That's all that matters.

Good luck!!!

11. renmew

renmew Rookie

Aug 30, 2015

These are some great ideas! Thank you.