Social Studies activities...

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by luv2teach415, Sep 13, 2007.

1. luv2teach415

luv2teach415 Companion

Sep 13, 2007

So I'm trying to teach my students about the explorers but I don't think they understand it. Does anyone have any ideas on an activity or something that can be used to help them with the explorers. We're also going to be getting into the colonies soon. It also doesn't help that most days my Social Studies period is last period so all of my students' minds are basically already out of school. Thanks!

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 13, 2007

Maybe you can divide your students into pairs/groups, give each group a different explorer to research, then have them present their explorer to the class.

4. patsfan82

patsfan82 Rookie

Sep 15, 2007

Since there are so many explorers and their contributions to remember, I play a memory game with my class. Every child makes 2 cards for each explorer, so they have their own set. On one index card, they put an illustration of the explorer and his name. On another index card, they put the greatest contribution(s) he is known for. I either have them put the contribution on a different color index card or put a star on the back. Then they play memory- all cards faced down, pick one explorer card and one contribution card, if it matches keep the pair and go again. The students can either play independently or with a partner. Plus, they have an easy study tool for the test and I can use the cards for center activities throughout the year!

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 15, 2007

My kids' favorite projects when I taught 5th, was to create Native American settlements. They each chose a culture area, used books which I provided, planned out what they would build on a graphic organizer, and created the settlements. I allowed over a week for this. I collect various craft materials and put them all out. It's a mess, but they love it. They have to decide how to build or represent each part, from the scenery, depiction of food being cooked, crafts being made, the housing, animals, people.

I put out: sticks, leaves, stones, fabric, suede, leather, tar paper, sandpaper, rope, string, yarn, seeds, wood strips, veneer, wood-looking paper or contact paper, reeds, hay ....... and copious amounts of glue. The glue is the highlight.

Show them how to cut trees or figures out of card stock then bend the bottom part to glue to the base so they stand up. Base can be sides of cardboard boxes or even thin styrofoam.

6. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Sep 15, 2007

I have done this before. Assign groups and a different explorer to each group. They have to research where their person was from, who they sailed/explored for, year(s) of exploration, claim to fame (major accomplishments), and three other interesting facts. They also have to draw the explorer's route on a map of either the region/country/world explored. FYI-My classes always want to think that privateering is the same as exploring. I always need to guide them VERY carefully through this differentiation.