Social Sciences

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by aksunshine, Dec 3, 2005.

1. aksunshine

aksunshine Rookie

Dec 3, 2005

When and if I ever complete my education, my husband has planned to go back. Currently he is a Union Ironworker, which is a dirty and dangerous job, but pays the bills quite well. Matt has never been one to really "try" or apply himself in schooling (we've been together since high school, nine years). He has started his education, with one semester under his belt, but it is too hard for us both to go at the same time and pay the bills. My concern is, he doesn't know what he wants to do. He really loves History and Economics and was planning to persue a Social Sciences (Secondary) degree. There are so few jobs, though, that he gets discouraged even thinking about going back. I don't want him to give up and I certainally don't want him to Ironwork his whole life, he is already facing shoulder surgery at 25. I would like to give him some honest encouragemnet, but is there any to be had?:confused:

3. LycoManda

LycoManda Rookie

Dec 3, 2005

I think it depends on whether or not you are willing to relocate for a teaching position. Both of you may have to do that in order to find a social studies position or any other teaching position for that matter. Im not sure what the job prospects are for Indiana. Its a great profession, however, it is more difficult to become a teacher and its getting more difficult each year with the tests and all of the requirements. If he doesnt really like school, it might frustrate him and discourage him even more. I would suggest that he really be committed to it before he wants to go for the education. Its a waste of time and of course a lot of money if you arent sure you want to do it. Has he tried a technical school?? Thats a great place to get a start, especially if he is into working with his hands. I hope that this helps! Dont give up your pursuit though!!