Social Promotion Victims

Discussion in 'General Education' started by fdr84, Nov 19, 2010.

1. fdr84

fdr84 New Member

Nov 19, 2010

Are you a victim of social promotion? Many of my friends were victims of social promotion and went to college with only a 9th grade education to guide them through college-level courses. To be honest, the general public has no idea that students are being passed from one grade to the next not being ready.

The media working hand in hand with the department of education in most states across America create the illusion that learning is taking place when in fact the opposite is true. I do some private in-home math tutoring from time to time and can honestly say that I am shocked to know that high school students do not know how to solve simple linear equations like 2x + 5 = 10 or add fractions like 1/2 + 2/3 or write a complete sentence. What are your thoughts?

3. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Nov 19, 2010

I think teachers are often the victims of social promotion. Just ask the 9th grade math teacher who has 1/2 a class that can't do simple math functions. What about the 9th grade English teacher who has kids who can't read.
    Kids who are socially promoted through elementary school also seem to have a hard time realizing that "If you don't pass X number of classes, you won't be a sophomore." or "If you don't pass 9th grade English, you have to take it again." All of this is because there were basically no consequences in elementary school for failing subjects.

4. Love to Teach

Love to Teach Cohort

Nov 19, 2010

Since we are playing "Pass the BucK", I'll jump in, too. Elementary teachers are victims, too...of a system where the "parents" decide wether or not the student goes on, despite the classroom teacher and the administration's wishes to retain the student. Oh, and by the way, elementary teachers also have students that cannot do the basic skills required to be successful at their particular grade level, only we invest our energies in looking for ways to advance these students as much as possible rather than looking for someone to blame.

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Nov 19, 2010

Keep in mind that the population you're working with as a private, in-home tutor is most likely comprised of students who struggle in regular, on-level classes...hence the need for private, in-house tutoring.

6. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Nov 19, 2010

There are a lot of victims: the students themselves because they aren't getting the education they really need; the teachers because now it is their job to teach students who are already below grade level not only what they are lacking, but also what they need to teach that year; and the general public because schools are graduating students who are not ready for the basic skills needed to survive in college or even in jobs.