Social Media Target

Discussion in 'General Education' started by EmptyClassroom, Jan 27, 2014.

1. EmptyClassroom

EmptyClassroom Rookie

Jan 27, 2014

I have found myself the victim of an unprofessional passive-aggressive Facebook assault and wonder if this is something common in our times, or if it's as unprofessional as I think. Several parent-teachers got together and decided the faculty in general should all "work" an extra-curricular event normally covered by our parent group. Some did; others, myself included, did not. The parent-teachers then got on Facebook and proceeded to slam those of us who did not work the event--in a snowstorm, I might add--and place judgments on us such as being lazy and not caring about our kids. I'm one of those teachers that lives for my job--I spend evenings, weekends, snow days, summers, vacations, etc. working on job-related tasks for my students. I also have several extra-curricular duties I volunteer for--just not the one in question. I'm positive my extra hours equal more than the combined hours of the poster and commenters, and I'm I'm sure I'm not the only one!

Just for clarification, I did confront the poster, in a friendly and professional manner, and was assured it was "not me but the others," but the posts specifically referenced "those who didn't come" and "those who didn't help." I even mentioned people had taken offense, but was assured it wasn't directed at all of us--"just the ones who never do anything but complain." :confused:

Some others are planning on reporting this under our professionalism standards, and while I don't want to get involved I that much drama I wonder...IS this as unprofessional as we think? :huh:

3. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jan 27, 2014

Very unprofessional.

4. Myrisophilist

Myrisophilist Habitué

Jan 27, 2014

I feel that denigrating anyone on social media is unprofessional. It stings even more because we, as teachers, cannot/should not respond in kind. Teachers have gotten in trouble for posting things about parents, but as far as I know there is nothing stopping the opposite from happening. It's actually something I worry about since so many parents are on Facebook, and typing from behind a screen seems to remove the "filter" that might normally restrain people from making hurtful comments.

5. EmptyClassroom

EmptyClassroom Rookie

Jan 27, 2014

Funny thing is, our parents that don't work in the system rarely do things like this! They are usually quick to defend coaches, teachers, administrators, etc. It's the teachers who choose to their dual role as parents that cause problems, and they almost always claim that they are "doing it as parents" and are therefore not accountable to educator professional standards. Losing battle. I know, but the kids of the parents in question are young and others are claiming they will bully us for years to come if we don't stand up to issues like this now.

I think I've went as far as I'm going by confronting the poster and unless specifically called out or insulted professionally I won't join the witch hunt, but it's really eating at me. How much more do I have to give?!?!

6. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jan 27, 2014

If it isn't in your contract, then I wouldn't worry about it. Ignore them on FB and avoid the drama.

7. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jan 27, 2014

I also would avoid the situation completely, even though it would really irritate me!

8. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jan 28, 2014

Unprofessional, yes. Like others have said, I would just ignore it.

9. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jan 28, 2014

Is is unprofessional? Yes. Would I join the others? Probably not, especially if I am not mentioned specifically. I wouldn't be surprised if parents were talking about me on FB, but I am not trying to be friends with my parents, either. I wouldn't care as long as I know that I am doing what is required of me.

10. bison

bison Habitué

Jan 28, 2014

Very, very unprofessional. I guess it's not just kids and teens that need to be taught how to use social media appropriately.

11. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jan 28, 2014

Yes, unprofessional, ignore it. Don't spend your time or engery on such negative things especially since you can't control what other people think, write, or do.