Social Media account?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by CDOR79, Aug 31, 2016.

1. CDOR79

CDOR79 Comrade

Aug 31, 2016

I am a third grade teacher and am thinking to use social media in my classroom this year. I use an app that I found out about through Scholastic called "Class Messenger" that serves the same purpose as Twitter lets's say, but it's obviously not one of the more current and popular forms of communication.

I was wondering if anyone on this board uses social media. If so, which one? Twitter? Instagram? etc. Also, what do you use it for?

Thanks! :)

3. jadorelafrance

jadorelafrance Cohort

Aug 31, 2016

I don't use social media, but I've seen tons of teachers use Twitter or edmodo. I used google classroom as its a new initiative in my school and it's private so only my class can access it.

4. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Aug 31, 2016

We use Haiku, which is sort of an internal-only kind of social media. If we were to use any others, we would have to register it with the district, and there'd be way too much for me to worry about having to be careful with. The Haiku page ends up allowing everything the social media page would and much more.

5. Teach with hope.

Teach with hope. Rookie

Sep 1, 2016

I have a class Facebook page and it has worked the best out of everything I have tried. Most parents are on Facebook already so they can easily follow our class page and be notified of updates, most of them right on their phones. I have used it for 4 years now and never once had a parent abuse/mis-use it in any way. I have families sign a release form at the beginning of the year to indicate whether or not they're okay with pictures being posted. I hope this helps!

6. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Sep 1, 2016

If you looking for something to communicate with, classdojo has this option. i know most people use it for behaviors but you could skip that part. There is also a place you can upload a classstory (pictures) plus each child can have a story (portfolio) It is private and they are all kinds of certified when it comes to privacy. The app is free and also can be found on the web. I absolutely love classdojo.