Social Anxiety and Staff Retreat

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Marci07, Aug 6, 2008.

1. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Aug 6, 2008

I suffer from social anxiety. I mostly fear social events where I have a hard time keeping a conversation and making friends. I just started a new job and there will be a staff retreat tomorrow. I didn't have to go but I'm going to go so I can do a little socializing and practice some new techniques from therapy.

A lot of thoughts are going through my mind right now. My biggest fear is to be the odd one out and end up eating by myself, but I keep telling myself that my goal is just to expose myself socially even if I don't succeed at connecting with somebody. Wish me luck!!

3. ready2teachintx

ready2teachintx Companion

Aug 6, 2008

Good Luck tomorrow:). That is already a big step to commit to going on the retreat. Try not to focus on how others see you. Just try to relax (deep-breathing helps) and have a good time. Listen in on conversations and then just add a tid-bit here and there. You will be fine. I too, get anxiety about certain social events and of course the ever-dreaded public speaking:eek:

4. Lareigna

Lareigna Companion

Aug 6, 2008

Good luck! You will do great. I agree with everything ready2teachintx said. Just relax. I am very quiet around people I do not know. But the more you see these people and get to know them and they get to know you, it will get easier as the year goes on. Try to have fun.

5. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Aug 6, 2008

Good for you for making the decision to go! I have the same issues and spend so much time worrying about what might happen.

a) The staff is going to want to get to know the new person and you probably won't find yourself alone.
    b) Even if you do, just try to think of it as not a big deal or better yet, sit with someone else who is sitting alone.

I feel very anti-social in avoiding a lot of things that the school puts together and I probably would not even be able to bring myself to attend something like that, so kudos for having the courage even to just show up!

6. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 6, 2008

I hope you feel comfortable. Good for you for stretching out and giving it a try. Even if you just say "Hello" to a couple of folks, it will be a success.

7. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Aug 6, 2008

People are mainly thinking about themselves and their own thoughts so just focus on having fun. I hope you meet some nice people who will help you feel more comfortable. You might want to try Rescue Remedy (ask your Dr first but you can get it at any health store) It restores your emotional imbalances so you can relax and have a clear mind.

8. MsJen

MsJen Rookie

Aug 7, 2008

Good Luck! Let us know how it goes!!

9. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Aug 7, 2008

Go for it, Marci! A smile and a hello can go a long way! Good luck!

10. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Aug 7, 2008

I've never been "diagnosed" with social anxiety, but I can definitely relate! My district is holding a beginning teacher's cookout on the last day of the orientation, and I really am dreading it! I'm also terrible at making friends/conversation, and it doesn't help that I left all my friends behind when I moved here.

But we'll be fine!! :) Our fears about social situations are typically unfounded and exaggerated ;)

11. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 7, 2008

That's why you drive your own car. If it isn't going well, fake a reason to leave and smile big.

Just make sure you don't leave your keys in the car with your car running (true story, first staff party, 2nd day of work, 3 hours later I left). Okay, that probably didn't help. :rolleyes:

12. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Aug 7, 2008

I hope it all goes well today! I'm sure others will want to get to know you since they will be working with you. Just say hi and try to have a good time!

13. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Aug 7, 2008

Sounds like you were more than a little nervous!! :) LOL

14. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 7, 2008

More like absent minded. Lol.

I also was the FIRST person to arrive and EVERY single staff member that walked through the door reported the lights being on.

15. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 7, 2008

Hey, all you can do is your best & if you end up eating by yourself, so be it. You had the courage to get out there & try, which is better than staying home.

I hope it goes well, but just in case it doesn't, don't blame yourself. Many people are funny-style anyway! I know!
    :)

16. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 7, 2008

But, it was a great way to meet people, cutNglue! Haha. No chance of them overlooking you!

At my school, we love to meet the new teachers and see what they are like. It takes all kinds of people to make up a staff!