SoCal Jobs still out there

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by teachinLA, Aug 15, 2008.

1. teachinLA

teachinLA Rookie

Aug 15, 2008

Hey guys,
    Just wanted to give a quick update about the LAUSD job fair yesterday. There were a good amount of jobs for special ed, math, and science teachers. There were also other positions. I met a lady who got a job offer as 6th grade core teacher ELA and social studies. I got a job offer for special day class in the Elem. level but I still have not accepted b/c I want to go and check out the school (the job may be taken by the time I do that). My point is the jobs are still out there. I am very hopeful after the job fair and I think the rest of my southern cali teachers should be too. :D

3. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Aug 15, 2008

Hi TeachinLA. Do you happen to notice if any elementary teachers got hired? That seems to be the area where LAUSD has NO jobs. (well, this is what the recruitment folk keep saying!) I went on an "eligibility interview" back in May for Elementary, and they still have not officially opened anything up. I did just get a call from Redondo Beach Unified to interview for subbing. I'm going, what the heck. I've heard they hire most of their teachers from their subs. Gotta take every opportunity I can right now.

4. teachinLA

teachinLA Rookie

Aug 15, 2008

nasimi77: I think Burbank Elem. had a 3rd grade position open I am not sure if they filled it up or not. I talked to the lady in charge of the job fairs and she said that I should just call schools and ask them if they have openings b/c they "don't know" where they have openings for general ed. On Monday morning I am going to start going to schools and dropping off my resume in case they have some openings. Good luck and I will let you know if I hear of anything. By the way what local district are you looking for?

5. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Aug 15, 2008

Hi TeachinLA. Ya know, I talked to a guy in recruitment last week, he said there were a little over 200 displaced elementary school teachers....so they get priority. Anyhow, thanks for the info. I would be interested in Local District 6. (Huntington Park, Bell, SouthGate) At least, I think they still call the District 6? I think before that it was known as "District J". Feel free to PM me LA. :) I actually got a call from Redondo Beach Unified to interview for subbing. I tried getting a teaching job with them 2 years ago when I got my license, and nothing. I figure subbing with them could also be advantageous. They are a really good school district! Anyhow, thanks again for the info, and PM me if you like.

6. Catcherman22

Catcherman22 Companion

Aug 16, 2008

There is always an open application with San Diego unified for Science and Math.... they have a listing for English on there as well at the moment.

7. anewstart101

anewstart101 Cohort

Aug 16, 2008

I wish I could drive up to LA schools