So who has resigned with very short notice?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Rhesus, Aug 12, 2013.

1. Rhesus

Rhesus Comrade

Aug 14, 2013

It is after five here and I have not heard anything further.

I'm no longer interested; this salary schedule dickering and the way they've gone about it has soured me. I have never experienced anything like this at my previous schools. School resumes at my current position next week. I don't have time for this anymore.

2. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 14, 2013

Just curious...what was motivating you to leave your current position?

3. Rhesus

Rhesus Comrade

Aug 14, 2013

My current position at a Catholic school an hour and twenty minute commute one way from home. I would like to get back into a public school (where most of my experience has been), and get closer to home.

It is a nice place to work, but the salary is low and the commute is really starting to take a toll. I've been there five years. This is the first year I've seriously looked at other positions. It is bad out there!

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 14, 2013

Curiosity again...why dd you leave public in the first place?

5. Rhesus

Rhesus Comrade

Aug 14, 2013

I left my first school after seven years to take a different public school job that looked great on paper. Greener pastures and all that. It was a mistake.That job turned out to be horrible, so I left after one year and took the Catholic school job with the long commute and short pay because I was desperate to leave that toxic place. It was totally worth it, but it is becoming a strain after five years even though it is a pleasant place to work.

I know my situation isn't nearly as rough as many posters here, but this is where I'm at, jobwise.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 14, 2013

Public schools don't give credit for private schools in general....so I'm thinking that's why you are backing off to step 8?

7. Rhesus

Rhesus Comrade

Aug 14, 2013

In my state, they can, at their discretion, give step credit for private schools and also college experience, and they usually do. I backed up to step 8 in an effort to meet them in the middle since the top step of 12 seemed out of the question.

8. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Aug 14, 2013

I'm sorry and I totally get how you're fed up with this. I hope that you can eventually find something closer. :hugs:

9. Rhesus

Rhesus Comrade

Aug 15, 2013

So today I pulled the plug by calling and politely withdrawing myself as a candidate. Then I spent the day outdoors and unplugged.

I come back an hour ago to an email from the superintendent offering me a last best offer of step six.

Meanwhile, a couple more days have passed. My current job starts Wednesday.

Trying to decide what to do.:dizzy:

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 15, 2013

How does step 6 compare to current salary? I took a slight decrease in pay to come to my current district...paid off in terms of job satisfaction, pd opportunities, and a salary scale that quickly made up for the small hit I originally took...weigh it all out, Rhesus...good luck to you in your decision.

11. Rhesus

Rhesus Comrade

Aug 15, 2013

It is a slight increase over my current job, but the scale would take off pretty quickly. I would also be able to reinvest in the pension.

Job satisfaction? Hard to say without being there at the new place. My job now is pleasant, but long commute and short pay.

The central office jerked me around and gave me a negative attitude, but then again, I wouldn't have much contact with them.

I am trying to steel myself against the squeamishness I feel about quitting when we start on Wednesday at my current job.

My head is spinning a bit here.

12. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 15, 2013

Given this, I would probably take the new job.

13. littlemiskinder

littlemiskinder Rookie

Aug 15, 2013

Sounds like the new job would be a good fit. I left my job today with 2 weeks notice and the principal was very short and unprofessional towards me but the VPs were extremely supportive and the rest of the staff was wonderful as well. Honestly, it sucked for about 15 minutes but now I'm off to bigger and better things so try not to dwell on it for too long. Make the move that is right for you because you will be the one dealing with it. Good Luck and keep us updated!

14. bison

bison Habitué

Aug 15, 2013

It does sound like they really want you. I'd probably give it a shot, but only you know what will be right for you. Let us know how things go!

15. Rhesus

Rhesus Comrade

Aug 15, 2013

Ain't that the truth. I was fairly green then myself, and I have since learned to carefully investigate and research the schools in which I'm interested. I've not seen any red flags, other than this central office nonsense.

It is hard to tell what is right for me.:dizzy:

16. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Aug 15, 2013

17. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Aug 16, 2013

Hmmm. That sounds pretty good. If you feel like the school and p. would be good, this might be your best bet. A ticket out of that horrible long commute! The pay would catch up and you wouldn't be driving as far. You could always switch schools again if it is the wrong fit....at least you would be closer to home.

18. Rhesus

Rhesus Comrade

Aug 16, 2013

I am to give them an answer within an hour.:dizzy::dizzy:

I think the pros outweigh the cons here, but the fear of leaving a familiar place for an unknown place is crushing. I had not considered this when I was so focused on job hunting.

My father asked me where I see myself in ten years. My answer was "not at my current school." So there's that.

19. Rhesus

Rhesus Comrade

Aug 16, 2013

I turned it down.

I thought long and hard and finally realized that I just wasn't enthused about this job. I have felt enthused and eager about the other schools I've worked at, but this one wasnt exciting me. This job had nothing negative or bad about it, and I'm sure it would be fine, but nothing was getting me pumped up about it either.

I am so fortunate to be in a position where I have the luxury of being picky. I am going to hold out for something that really enthuses me.

20. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 16, 2013

Rhesus, good luck with your decision. I was just going to tell you that I left a job that I was very happy with. It is scary, but I couldn't have asked for a better environment to work in.

21. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Aug 16, 2013

I'm right with you there.

I'm glad you're at peace with your decision. :hugs: