So who has resigned with very short notice?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Rhesus, Aug 12, 2013.

1. Rhesus

Rhesus Comrade

Aug 12, 2013

I don't want to totally repeat my other threads, but the short version is that I have a verbal offer for a new position (high school foreign language), and I'm wagging for the call from the superintendent's office to formalize it.

Meanwhile, my first day to report to work at my current school is next Wednesday.:eek:hmy: It is a parochial school and the contract, such as it is, says nothing about resignation procedures. Legal or financial penalties do not apply, but I am super uncomfortable with leaving them abruptly and so late.

It is stressing me out to the point that I am considering turning it down, even though it is closer to home and pays a lot better.

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 12, 2013

Turning down a better job offer when you've been looking for a long time is silly.

4. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Aug 12, 2013

I'm not sure of your full background as far as the job hunt and your reasons for looking, but turning down a better offer when you're not under contract is okay. I understand why you feel bad about the short notice (I'm sure I'd feel the same), but it's fine to do it. Is one week short notice? Of course. But people in non-teaching jobs give 1-2 weeks notice and it's totally normal.

5. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Aug 12, 2013

I agree. Also, who knows when an opportunity like this will arise again.

6. schoolteacher

schoolteacher Habitué

Aug 12, 2013

Of course you want to act with integrity, and that is why you are feeling so uncomfortable about this. The fact that you feel this way says a lot about your character.

Try calling the superintendent's office and ask when your job can be finalized. If you explain your situation, they may be able to expedite it.

Your current school will understand. Though it will be inconvenient for them, they will want you to do what is best for you.

7. Rhesus

Rhesus Comrade

Aug 12, 2013

The superintendent's office for the new job just called, and I am seeing her first thing tomorrow morning!

Caesar et al. are correct, of course. It would be stupid to reject a job when it has been so hard to find one, just because I am uncomfortable with a short notice resignation. That is just the anxiety talking. My school has a history of nastiness towards people who resign even under the best circumstances. I do feel badly about my students and colleagues, though.

8. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Aug 12, 2013

Thank heavens! So glad things are moving along. The fact that you are worried about your old school speaks volumes about your professionalism, and I totally get it. I'd be feeling the same way. Doesn't sound like they are too nice about that stuff, though. Good thing things are moving. Don't feel guilty about anything! Congrats again!!!!! :)

9. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 12, 2013

Rhesus... new opportunity for you means an opportunity for someone else that is looking for a job at your old spot....
    Good Luck!!!

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 12, 2013

This!:thumb:
    Someone will be THRILLED to fill in your slot! (Son's gf is on interview today...fingers crossed for her as well!)

Go for it, Rhesus! Congrats!!

11. Rhesus

Rhesus Comrade

Aug 12, 2013

I'm already trying to line someone up. An old grad school chum who had his position eliminated at the end of the year.

Maybe I can help out a colleague and also take a bit of the sting out of my abrupt resignation!

Of course, the superintendent of the new school has to give the formal okey-dokey...

12. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 12, 2013

Glad you got the call you were waiting for!!

13. Rhesus

Rhesus Comrade

Aug 13, 2013

Email is a less desireable way to resign, but I am thinking of doing it that way anyway, maybe followed up with a phone call. Otherwise, it's a three hour drive for a five minute conversation.

Plus, I think I've mentioned elsewhere that the administrators at my school historically do not deal well with resignations, and they tend to be a little nasty. An email gives her a chance to absorb the notion and keep her composure.

14. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 13, 2013

Do it now...

15. geoteacher

geoteacher Devotee

Aug 13, 2013

Just call and let them know what you are doing. Get it over with and move forward.

16. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Aug 13, 2013

I look forward to reading your name on the jobs list later today!:):party:

17. littlemiskinder

littlemiskinder Rookie

Aug 13, 2013

I am in a smilier situation though I do have more time (I may have even responded to one of your past posts about this). I have gone through two interviews and have a third with the superintendent tomorrow afternoon. I'm hoping they let me know quickly because my schools gets our student lists on Friday!

Like someone else said, there are so many teacher candidates that they will have NO problem filling your position. Do what is best for you because they school will be fine! Hope everything works out quickly and all goes well :)

18. yeahimateacher

yeahimateacher Rookie

Aug 13, 2013

Me too!

I am in the same boat is a you. Just received a full-time offer, I was teaching part-time last year only 3 classes but contracted and school starts on the 28th. So I'm about to make the call to resign my old position and start the new one. I will have better play (full-time) and it is less of a commute for me too. The mix feelings I have is just about leaving my old school and the great people I work with. I'm trying to find the words now to say when I make this call.

19. Rhesus

Rhesus Comrade

Aug 13, 2013

Setback.

They have offered me an extremely low salary step. Considerably lower than the pittance I am currently paid at my parochial school job. This came out of left field, since I had carefully read their contract, salary schedule, and personnel procedures for new hires with experience, and it said nothing about any of this.

Step 3 MA? I have a sixth year and 16 years. I teach a high need area and it is mid-August. I know this stuff happens in other parts of the country, but it is pretty unusual in my region.

I told them I cannot come aboard for that and they said they'd reexamine my dossier and get back to me later.

What on Earth is collective bargaining for if there is such wheeling and dealing going on? I feel like I'm at a car dealership.

20. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Aug 13, 2013

Grrrr! :mad: Good for you for standing your ground. I hope they come around. Obviously there was nothing in the contract stating that they can start new hires on a lower step...this is just not right. Hopefully the end of summer rush will work in your favor. :hugs:

21. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 13, 2013

Sorry this happened to you...Where they start you is negotiable, your moving up increment steps each year can be based on your performance/fulfilling your contractual obligations/admin recommendation. The salary guide pretty much just stipulates what you'll be paid at each step.

22. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Aug 13, 2013

Most contracts here stipulate what a first year hire must be paid, what someone with two, three, four years must be paid, etc. A few districts are beginning to write language into the contract saying that salary for new hires is negotiable, or that they will in fact be placed on a lower step. But usually it is ironclad and non-negotiable.

It might be different where you are.

23. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 13, 2013

definitely different. It's negotiable here....supes know what their budget is, how much they can spend on new hires....they generally don't give credit for private or charter schools, will give less credit for years worked if there's been a gap of time since the candidate last worked, etc.

24. geoteacher

geoteacher Devotee

Aug 13, 2013

When I started back, I did not get credit for all of my experience, but I did get credit for any university credits that I had. It was at the discretion of the super. However, now I believe that my district has implemented a maximum step where they will start new hires.

25. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Aug 13, 2013

Yup, I've seen language stating that experience more than 10 years ago won't be credited, etc. but usually there's no wiggle room or negotiating. The kicker is that the districts that do write this type of stuff in aren't usually too desirable....extended days, low pay, scripted programs, etc. :(

26. Rhesus

Rhesus Comrade

Aug 13, 2013

Even discounting the past five years of private school teaching, I'd be on step nine based on public school teaching.

Their personnel documents say that the standard step for experienced new hires is step six. I don't know where step three came from. Also, there is a section that says they can make exceptions if it would otherwise be impossible to hire a qualified applicant. If I were unemployed, it would be one thing. However, I am a highly trained and experienced professional, and I take enough pride in that that I won't sell myself short.

The other odd thing is that is was a secretary discussing this with me. She was not authorized to actually do anything. Where was the HR guy? I though that was weird.

27. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Aug 13, 2013

:thumb: good for you. They're trying to pull a fast one, IMO.

28. Rhesus

Rhesus Comrade

Aug 13, 2013

I did hit it off really well with the superintendent. If things go badly, maybe she will step in.

I feel like collective bargaining has gone out the window. Why have a contract at all if these sorts of shenanigans are afoot?

I also apologize for kvetching about salary when so many of us are still sweating out getting an offer. Sorry...

29. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 13, 2013

Collective bargaining establishes the guide....where you start sounds like its up to admin discretion.?.dont discount the Supe knowing EXACTLY what you were offered.

30. ksnooz7

ksnooz7 Rookie

Aug 13, 2013

How much closer is this job to your home? Just wondering -- because a short commute may have a lot of worth in quality of life.

31. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 14, 2013

What an unfortunate and unexpected turn of events! I hope that you are successful negotiating a higher placement on the salary schedule. In my district, there is no negotiating. You are placed where they put you, and that's that.

A word about collective bargaining and contracts. Those are all in place to protect current employees. They don't have to protect potential hires in any way whatsoever. It's entirely possible that the contract is worded such that new hires can only be placed so high on the salary schedule (maximum step). In my district around the time I was hired, the district was offering an incentive to new hires to place us all on step 3, even if we had no experience. The current employees, particularly those hired within the previous two years, were up in arms, because they had been placed lower on the salary schedule. They were right to be upset, of course, but I was also quite happy to get a little extra money. The district has since stopped that practice, because it was unfair to current employees.

32. Rhesus

Rhesus Comrade

Aug 14, 2013

They called back this morning and offered step 3 sixth year instead of step 3 masters. Really?! I said no. She asked what step I had in mind. I said step 8, which represents only half of my experience.

I have read their contract and personnel documents very carefully, and it says experienced new hires come in at step 6. I don't know where this step 3 is coming from.

The job is an hour from home. This beats an hour twenty, but not enough to take a pay cut, or even for the same pay.

I know it's budgets and it's just business, but I can't help but feel professionally insulted by such a heavy lowball.

33. ksnooz7

ksnooz7 Rookie

Aug 14, 2013

Got it. I totally agree with you.

34. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 14, 2013

I'm not understanding the pay scale...step three sixth year? Most pay scales I see are steps ( steps basically translate to years although new hires are placed at admin discretion based on how much experience they are giving credit for) going vertically with education/grad credits running horizontally...so someone might be step 3, bachelors Or step 3 plus 15 grad credits...etc.

35. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Aug 14, 2013

I think he means sixth-year as in an additional degree beyond the master's.

Rhesus, I don't blame you a bit. I'm sorry this happened. Did they sound like that was it or are they going to talk about it some more? I don't see how they are going to find someone at this point, given the timing and the fact that you are in a very specialized area of teaching.

36. geoteacher

geoteacher Devotee

Aug 14, 2013

Right, this confused me also. Steps (verticals) relate to years of experience. Lanes (horizontal) relate to education. OP, is your pay scale different from this?

37. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Aug 14, 2013

Sixth year means an advance degree beyond the master's. He's referring to a degree, not years of service.

38. Rhesus

Rhesus Comrade

Aug 14, 2013

Rainbowbird's got it.

In my state, "sixth year" is the term frequently used to describe thirty credits beyond the MA degree.

I have sixteen years of teaching experience, thirteen of which are at the high school level. I am trying making the case for step 8, MA +30, which reflects only half of my years of experience.

Step 3 is ridiculous.

39. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 14, 2013

Got it! I completely understand your feelings. I have 13 years in my current district (plus 3 years before this district), MA plus 60. It would be hard to give up all that seniority and my pay step if I switched districts (not to mention re-starting tenure process).

If their recent offer is their FINAL offer, you'll have to weigh out if the pay cut is insurmountable, other non-salary factors (pd opportunities, commute, etc) ...good luck.

40. Rhesus

Rhesus Comrade

Aug 14, 2013

The new commute would still be an hour. If it were shorter, I'd consider it a fair trade for a lower salary, but not lower than I'm making now.

It occurred to me that the guy I'd be replacing, who resigned in July, was step 8 masters at least. They have already budgeted for what I'm asking for.

41. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Aug 14, 2013

I hope they think about this some more and call you back.