So....which antidepressant are you on? LOL

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Pisces_Fish, Jan 24, 2010.

1. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jan 26, 2010

A person who has not been deeply depressed will NEVER understand unless it happens to them. Combine deep depression with OCD and anxiety and it's a hundred times worse. Just imagine going from feeling "normal" to a feeling of sadness and not knowing why you are so sad. Imagine not being able to get out of bed, laying there with your mind racing so fast that you can't focus on any one thought, your head spinning so fast and you can't make it stop. Imagine going to work everyday so full of sadness and worry that you are on the verge of tears the entire day. There is NO way to convey that feeling to anyone unless they have themselves suffered from deep depression. You could try putting a paper bag over your head and spinning yourself around for 20 minutes while listening to cymbals clanging together rapidly and someone could be throwing rotten tomatoes at your head. That might give you some idea of how it feels to be deeply depressed, but not really because it's much worse than that.

2. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Jan 26, 2010

I take Paxil, and have been on it for 5 years. I went on due to anxiety issues-panic attacks. It has worked well for me. I still have my moments, but I am still able to handle situations in a much calmer way.
    Paxil is a metabolism killer, however, weighing my option (a nervous breakdown), I guess I can deal with it. Stress makes me gain weight big time. Since I have been on Paxil, I have only gained 10 pounds, and I still believe it was my own fault!

3. gutterballjen

gutterballjen Comrade

Jan 26, 2010

I've been on Pristiq since October, and I can definitely see a change in my moods for the better. Over Christmas break, I took a break and I could feel the difference. Not going to do that again! I've noticed that it's helped calm me down when I'm on the verge of a panic attack, which tends to happen often during the semester. I am so glad that I have it!

4. penguinpc

penguinpc Comrade

Feb 10, 2010

If your physician is not giving you the help you need, I would check out another one or go to a psychiatrist.

5. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Feb 10, 2010

I went to a doctor and had counseling sessions at the same time...the sessions helped, but I didn't feel comfortable with the counselor and it was all that my insurance paid for.

6. Starista

Starista Cohort

Feb 10, 2010

Dearest Comrades,

I have suffered from anxiety and depression the better part of my 31years. No trauma. No childhood neglect or abuse. Just depression and anxiety. Clinical and diagnosed.

Effexor's been a life saver, in one respect, and a nightmare on another. It gives me the energy I need to sustain work, but it saps me of energy in the evening hours.

I am in the process of switching to Prozac. We'll see how that goes.

The simple fact for is the following: I simply can not function in a normal day to day life without medicine that helps my brain.

I am so blessed that my principals are understanding about my depression, and there have been days that I have needed to call out sick because of medicinal issues, adjustments, etc.

Therapy & Medicine go hand-in-hand, but I understand for some people that is not a finacial option.

Prayer, also not for everyone, helps me tremendously.

Here's to health and happiness. :love:

7. WannaTeach

WannaTeach Companion

Feb 10, 2010

After both of my children were born I had PPD. I went for counseling. Talking helped me most. I wasn't crazy. Then later with teaching I took Paxil. Bad stuff for me. But, then my doc gave me Lexapro. I had my life back. I no longer take anything but I have learned how to read my body and it helps with the overwhelming feelings I used to have. Now, I can "let it go" and not fall back into the "worry" stage. Thes medicine really helped but I wouldn't want to take it forever. I used to worry :- ) about what others thought but they are not important, my wellbeing is. Best of luck to you. Welcome to the club. ;- )

8. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Feb 13, 2010

Just chiming in again to see if there are any new thoughts out there! This is a very interesting topic.

I have had many, many doctors talk to me about the root of depression. Years ago, before most doctors were educated about the topic, before there was a lot of supporting research, my ob/gyn made the bold statement "I believe all depression is caused by hormonal imbalance" She was talking about the hormone seratonin. What a strong statement! This was a doctor who had worked with women and their hormones and pregnancy for years and years. I believe she was ahead of her time.

Grammy, you summed it up perfectly! Depression is not something you can "snap out of" or treat for a "short term." Sometimes the body will make the adjustment over time if you do certain things - adjust exercise, diet, light intake - but way too often the body cannot make the adjustment and thank God! there are meds to do the adjustment for you so you don't end up harming yourself or others or getting locked away!

Please people, if you have not experienced deep inexplicable depression, thank God and support those around you!

I talked with a holistic doctor just last week. She has interesting thoughts on the topic. She sees a vast population that is simply worn out from day to day living. The brain is wearing out faster because of the world we live in! This is across the board, according to her observations and practice.

9. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Feb 13, 2010

I agree. But that is what needs to change, and people are the ones who must change it.

10. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Feb 13, 2010

Yes, but how does one go into the brain and change the chemistry? How does one change worn out synapses to full-firing synapses? hmm . . . life changes can only do so much. Kinda like when your discs burst, or your finger gets chopped off, no matter how much you WANT to make it go away, it won't go away. . . .

11. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Feb 13, 2010

Your doctor said she's seeing so many people "simply worn out" from our fast-paced society, so I think people should be more proactive to help avoid extreme stress that could ultimately lead to depression and anxiety and a host of other health problems. I think it could be argued that there are those who are "medically" depressed and those who are depressed because of their lifestyle, and the latter group of people should make the changes necessary to lessen their load. A few children in a few activities each, volunteering here and there, work commitments, church commitments...I think people in general say yes far too often and in the end hurt themselves. I know it's not so simple...but then again, sometimes it is.

12. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Feb 13, 2010

But not if you are depressed. There's a difference between depression and being stressed because you're trying to do too much. For me, and I'm only speaking for me, I could do a million things other than medication, and THE ONLY thing that works for me is medication because it's an imbalance in the chemistry in my brain.

I'll say it again...If you've never had depression, you have NO right passing judgement on other people's lives and the way other people choose to treat their illnesses. You are not a medical doctor nor a psychiatrist, and have no factual basis on which to rest your claims. As someone who DOES have depression (which is very genetic, by the way) I would appreciate it if you would stop.

As will I.

13. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Feb 13, 2010

I am reacting to the statement of the doctor who said she is seeing so many people who are "simply worn out", and I expressed that I do believe there is a difference from being clinically, medically depressed and being absolutely worn out and worn down emotionally from an overly hectic lifestyle.

I won't bother addressing the "judgment" aspect of this discussion.

14. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Feb 13, 2010

JustMe, I think the thing that sounded judgemental to me was when you were talking about knowing some people well who you feel are taking mediciation they don't need. To me, that sounded judgemental because you really don't know if they need medication or not. Like I said, my best friends would not know I needed medication.

I do agree with you that people are doing too much nowadays. I would hope that if someone was doing too much they would first try and slow down a little before going straight to mediciation.

15. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Feb 13, 2010

Also before I was depressed I would have said that same thing, that there were people who I knew that didn't have to be on medication. Heck, I thought my mom was overreacting. It wasn't until I dealt with it that I realized that no one can really tell what anyone else needs. It took me a long time to realize that and that is what it so hard with mental illness. I still sometimes wish my mother would "snap out of it" even when I know she, like me, can't

16. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Feb 13, 2010

That comment was made days ago, so I'm not sure if that's what Tracy found to be judgmental or not. I'm clearly frustrating some people, and please trust that I don't take pleasure in that, but it's frustrating to me to repeatedly be told I can have no opinion over this topic, and that if I do I'm being "judgmental". To say I have no right to have an opinion or make a judgment because I haven't suffered from serious depression, well...actually, I do. It seems to me that judgments, while not strictly a negative concept, are only negative when it conflicts with someone's own judgment. A judgment or opinion then turns into a nasty, fighting word.

While I certainly wish to offend or hurt no one, I do stand by all of my statements and would like to reiterate that I've made a distinction between clinical depression and a depressed state caused by lifestyle choices or circumstances, although I think the two are often merged together. I am not making light of depression.

17. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Feb 14, 2010

Great post!

18. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 14, 2010

Great, justme...this can be applied to so many discussions...thanks for the reminder that differing opinions are not necessarily attacks. ;)

How has this thread gone on for 10 pages and not been moved to marathon?

19. spiderlgs

spiderlgs Rookie

Feb 15, 2010

Definitely Wellbutrin. I think depression can mean different things to different people. I've suffered from depression since I was 7, and just recently got medication for it and there is nothing in this world that could make me regret my decision. I think my depression is worsened when I put too much on my plate, or do too much or don't work out... and its a cloud that is always somewhere lurking.. the medicine just clears the fog.

20. penguinpc

penguinpc Comrade

Feb 16, 2010

I either have clinical depression or bipolar disorder. My psychiatrist has never given me an official diagnosis. I take Wellbutrin, Lexapro, and Lamictal (a mood stabilizer).

Mental illness runs in my family and my father is bipolar. His condition is extreme and is something that I dealt with growing up. Anxiety also figures into condition.

I didn't get any type of treatment until about 7 years ago when I had a breakdown at school and took a month off. As I looked back, I realized that it was something that had been affecting me most of my life. However, the stress of teaching finally pushed me over the edge. I finished out the academic year, but I resigned after that, without consulting my wife. :eek:

Even after beginning treatment, I was not completely stable. I think that's made obvious by the fact I quit without discussing it with my family. I also decided I didn't want to teach ever again. Not rational thinking.

I've had a few years on the meds now. While everything is not sunshine and roses and I do still have my episodes, I am better off than I was.

While I was out for a month, I suffered from some of the stigma associated with depression. My team mates wondered why I didn't come back sooner, and some of them resented having to cover for me.

One of the teachers on my team missed a few weeks because of a hysterectomy. No one ever though she should hurry up and get better.

I'm pretty sure I have a chemical imbalance that I will deal with for the rest of my life.

I just want to get back into a classroom and I sometimes regret the years I could have had in a classroom that I was robbed of by mental illness.

Yep, it's a real sickness.

21. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Feb 16, 2010

Unless you have walked in a depressed person shoes, no one will really understand what a depressed person goes through. I have been off for a month now because of depression and I will be off for two weeks longer. Right now, I feel that I will not be ready to go to work in those two weeks, but we will see. Depression is a horrible illness that I wished no one had to deal with. I am on medicine, but my dose had to be increased. I am also seeing a therapist. Both she and my family doctor are wonderful women that I truly trust to help me through this horrible illness.

22. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Feb 17, 2010

One more tidbit regarding my earlier post: the doctor did not say people were tired and stressed, I probably stated that wrong.

And antidepressants can't be overused because they don't actually do anything to the body or brain unless there is a chemical condition that is lacking, hormones lacking, or receptors not doing their jobs. You could take the pills till the cows come home and it would not do anything for you unless you had the physical deficiency. It would be the same as drinking a glass of water.

23. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Mar 18, 2010

I just went looking for this thread. The dr. put my son on an anti depressant last week after we had a breakdown. Total stress at school (huge projects all due at once) was what brought it to light. After several days on meds, he is my kid again. He had become this brooding stranger with a dark cloud over his head. He would spend 4 hours doing a 20 minute assignment, grades were dropping, and he could hardly converse at dinner. I only wish I'd have figured it out 6 months ago. I lost a lot of time with him. If medicine help that happen - it's gold!!