So what is your plan for the first day?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by SashaBear, Jul 26, 2008.

1. SashaBear

SashaBear Companion

Jul 26, 2008

How do I keep them busy all day but not overwhelm them on their first day? Their first week for that matter!

3. DaTeach

DaTeach Comrade

Jul 26, 2008

I teach 4th grade. I prepare a first day folder which has puzzles, math sheets (simple), student questionnaire, teacher true false quiz, getting to know you activity,..... I save the leftover worksheets each year and save them for my first day folder. It needs to be something that you don't need to instruct them on. I also include a couple of coloring sheets....I bought a class set of the 24 count crayolas at walmart when they were 25 cents each. We don't do much work on the first 2 days...we are starting back on a Thursday. We spend the whole first day going over rules and procedures. They have to learn the way I do things instead of the way they did things last year. That takes a good week or two. They have their folder for a break now and then....We do team teach, so on the first day, we only change classes for about half an hour just so they can meet the other teacher. We will probably follow the schedule the second day. I always make up a couple of goody bags for door prizes. Each folder has a number written on it. At the end of the day, I draw a couple of numbers for the bags. They love that, just like we do!!! We have to give the STAR test for AR, I do get them started on that. Since I have 3 computers in my room, it doesn't take but a day. That way, I can go ahead and get their reading log prepared and go to the library the second day.

Our principal requires us to go over the school handbook....so we spend half the morning doing that. It takes a while.

4. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Jul 26, 2008

It's funny that you asked this because I just posted my lesson plan template to another thread, which had my first week lessons in it. You can view them here: http://www1.freepdfconvert.com/export/310226583/result/Week_1.zip Now, I know it looks like a LOT of information but it is my lesson plans for the first week of school and I wanted to make sure that I told my students EVERYTHING. My mind is usually going a mile a minute those first few days and I get so used to one class doing exactly what they're supposed to that I didn't want to forget to tell my new class all sorts of things.

5. SashaBear

SashaBear Companion

Jul 26, 2008

Calalilys I couldn't get your link to work.

6. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Jul 26, 2008

If you PM me your email address I'll send you my lesson plans in an attachment.

7. ArizonaTchr72

ArizonaTchr72 Companion

Jul 26, 2008

Calalilys,
    Thanks for sharing your first week's plan. This will help me a lot especially since I am also using Essential Rules. We are starting our week on a Monday this year rather than a Thursday and I am debating whether to start regular curriculum in that first week. We do benchmark assessments (in fact we use the same AIMS train prompt) so I am undecided whether to start spelling, reading and math. Do you begin with regular curriculum right away?

8. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Jul 27, 2008

I start with the curriculum ASAP. I do all my Essential Rules during my science/social studies block the first week. I usually do all my Career Ladder assessments within the 1st or 2nd day so that I can get right into teaching. My logic is that my students need to know that learning is important and that we'll be jumping right into learning from the get go.

Since reading covers basic skills that will be used in our reading series throughout the year I try to start that on the second day so that when my resource students are pulled out the second week, they will already have been exposed to the strategies. Throughout that first week I start to pretest my students to get a sense of where they are in terms of their reading abilities so that I can place them in their small groups for the following week.

I usually start math on the second day, since students are pretested on the first day. I do send math homework home on day one. It's usually review work from 4th grade to get an idea of what they can/cannot do.

Writing typically starts on the second day as well. That's when I start going over the writing process and talking about the things that good writers do.

9. Lysander

Lysander Companion

Jul 27, 2008

I do a lot of review in the first week. We do start a little "curriculum" on the first day...basically what it means to be a good listener. We make a class chart of active listening strategies, and practice them while I read "Miss Nelson is Missing" a book that leads us into discussion of classroom behavior. For the first two weeks, language arts is making a class poster for a reading strategy, practicing that strategy with a read aloud, and then modeling and practicing the centers that will be used throughout the year. There are also the usual "getting to know you" activities as well. I have tied them into book talks and other curricular activities, but nothing new, formal, or graded. In science, we talk about what a scientist is, how to be safe during experiments, tools of a scientist, etc., and in social studies, we do a preview unit, discussing important geography terms we will use during the year. Math is a lot of hands on, cooperative learning activities. We don't start actual curriculum until the second or third week of school, depending on the subject.

10. teach_each1

teach_each1 Comrade

Jul 27, 2008

here is my plan-but I'm in an open concept classroom and I've not planned with the other teachers (a lot of what we do is across the grade level)

9:05-9:20 Students enter; have ppt. slides of welcome and announcements posted. Students work on MI survey
    9:20-9:35 Go over slides 4-8 (practice as necessary-plenty of discussion)
    (Entering classroom, lunch procedure, restroom/drink procedures)
    9:35-9:50 Work on self-portrait (assess MI surveys and make up seating chart)
    9:50-10:05
    10:05-10:20
    10:20-10:35 Call to carpet, anchor chart-What our desk looks like.
    Seating Chart
    10:35-10:50 Fix Desks-Pass in supplies (Germ-X, Kleenex, Zip-Loc’s and paper)
    10:50-11:05 Label Spirals and Such
    11:05-11:20 Call to carpet Read New Kid at School Fill out AR Log together, model how to do a critique (critiques on all Leveled Readers and McGraw Hill Stories)
    11:20-11:35
    11:35-11:50 Team Shirts-
    11:50-12:05
    12:05-12:20 Pod Meeting-Recess Procedures or Journal Writing-The Best thing about me is…
    12:20-12:35
    12:35-12:50 Get Ready for Lunch/Lunch/Recess
    12:50-1:05
    1:05-1:20
    1:20-1:45 Read-Aloud-Becoming Naomi Leon
    1:45 Dismissal

11. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Jul 28, 2008

I'm going to be staring at them a lot.

I'll have a cup of coffee and smile inbetween sips.

That's what I'll be doing on my first day. What will the kids be doing? Learning the procedures, picking out independent reading books, making bar graphs, being DIBELed to death. I guess I'll have to do the DIBELing.

Also nouns. Going to to play game with nouns. Calendar Math. Maybe a Science experiment.

I guess I need to write all this down.