So, what do you say in your "Intro'?

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by Subber, Oct 10, 2010.

1. Subber

Subber Companion

Oct 10, 2010

I have basically not bothered much about it unless there's enough audience looking my way. most of the time, they'd just be talking to each other and I'd just have to quiet them down, telling one or two that they need to find a seat and be seated. Also, once in a while, telling someone that he/she cannot sit on the desk. I am very firm about sitting on the desk. Of course, sometimes (when I was new to the school), they'd try, "Our teacher lets us". Then, I'd just say "(I don't":)

They'd test you with everything under the sun. One time - this was last year, one was just repeating this line "How do you get to be so beautiful?" though not with the tone of harassing. I just ignored him at first and then just called his last name with the tone of a teacher - that day, I happened to remember his name w/o looking at the paper. (From the look of his eyes browsing on me when I went near him to get his attendance, I kind of sensed what's happening and so I guess, I was alert.) He stopped for a little bit but then started again as if he was trying to get my attention that he found me attractive. But a few of his friends turned to him and said, "****, it's sexual harassment" and so he stopped.

In fact, in some classes, some kids (male) would just check me out. I notice when it's happening with more than one or two kids and for a prolong period.

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 11, 2010

When I subbed (and when I need to cover a class now because there isn't a sub), I kept it very simple, "Good morning, I'm MrsC (I'd write my name on the board) and I'm here today for _______. She's left me a very detailed plan for the day and there's a lot to cover, so we'd better get started with the attendance."

As far as your other problem, the behaviour of the students is completely unacceptable--you need to be the one putting a stop to it, not the friends. Be sure that you are projecting a very professional image and 'dressing the part'. Don't allow this type of comment in your classroom at any time--directed at yourself or at another student.

4. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 11, 2010

The most I'd ever do is smile, have my name written on the board & say what it is so they'd know how to pronounce it. Then I'd say, "As you can see, Mr. or Mrs. ___ won't be here today."
    I don't really get into talking a little about myself because kids ususally try to get off track asking 1,000 questions.

5. Subber

Subber Companion

Oct 11, 2010

I was about to get him aside and tell him to stop when his friends did. I was impressed. The only reason I ignored as much as I did e was that I was continuing with taking attendance and didn't want to make it bigger and gave some time to see whether he'd just stop.

I wear VERY professional and in fact *always* wear a loose sweater with pockets to put things (pen, post it notes, etc.) in my pockets.

6. Subber

Subber Companion

Oct 11, 2010

7. LoveToSub

LoveToSub New Member

Oct 19, 2010

When the class starts, I already have the assignment written on the board (this is for jr. high and high school) when the students walk in. (I have my name written on the board as well.) I stand at the door and greet them as they come in which minimizes the "we have a sub!" comments. :) When the bell rings, I walk up to the front, smile, say, "Good morning! I'm Mrs. ___. Your assignment today is ____. Let's get to work!" or something cheery like that. While they are getting started, I take roll. If it is a large class, I pass around a seating chart and have them fill it in, telling them I will take attendance from the seating chart. Having an assignment straight away helps to keep the students focused and they are not asking me "where's the teacher?" etc.

8. New_Teacher003

New_Teacher003 Rookie

Oct 21, 2010

I usually say, "Good morning! How is everyone doing today? Give me a thumbs up if you are doing well and a thumbs down if you're not." This gives me an instant indicator of how everyone is feeling. I then tell them my name.

I always bring certificates for good work and helping hands with me, as well as small orange pylons that read "Great Work!" or "Well Done!" on them. I tell students that if I catch them doing a great job, they might get a pylon on their desk, or a certificate to take home to show their parents. I also tell them that if they get all their work done and behave well, maybe we can play a special game at the end of the day.

I then tell students that throughout the day I may need to get their attention. I tell them my signal (ie: clapping, counting down from 5, hand in the air, etc...). I have students practice this with me a few times, until I feel they are comfortable with it. I then tell them that if I don't have their eyes and ears after giving the signal, these are the consequences.

Then I usually end with, "We are going to have a great day today, so let's get to work!" This way students know that I am on their side, but there are consequences for their actions and just because there is a supply, doesn't mean they can do whatever they want. I supply in elementary, so practicing the signal is important I feel.

9. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 21, 2010

New_Teacher003, those are great tactics. I need to do that since I plan to start subbing again in whole-class settings. I've been subbing for only speech & RSP, which are small pull-out grps for ages. I haven't done a general ed class in eons!

10. New_Teacher003

New_Teacher003 Rookie

Oct 21, 2010

^Thanks! :) I haven't added in the practicing the signal yet, but it's something I'm going to start doing. The pylons/certificates work great when the kids are being good, but when you need to settle the class down and you randomly clap or count down....it can be effective, but even more so if they know what you are doing and the consequences for not attending to that signal. I'll let you know how it goes next time I supply!! :D

11. hac711

hac711 Companion

Oct 25, 2010

I teach in urban schools so I am usually very straight, "my name is on the board Im here to help you with XYZ assignment. There is no talking, If there is talking I have to assume you are cheating and you will get a zero. Now get to work as I take attendance. Boom, done.