So what do you do with students who copy homework?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by historyguy79, Feb 13, 2008.

1. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Feb 11, 2018

I haven't seen that research. The research I've seen is that homework tends to be busy work in early grades but becomes more beneficial in secondary education.

Unfortunately, not every class/curriculum has enough time during the day to do it all. To cover all of the standards deeply, to provide formative assessments with quality feedback, to provide engaging activities, to set up and execute inquiry based science labs, make the course relevant to everyday life, to teach 21st century skills, to prepare for the next course in the sequence and/or college and build a classroom community.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  2. MinionMan

MinionMan New Member

Feb 20, 2020

I've heard far too many stories of students using essay sites at college for even their most crucial of modules. It's a shame because it means that students with the funds to pay their way through college don't learn or gain the necessary skills to grind and try hard for their achievements. Meanwhile, less wealthy students have to struggle through it and normally have jobs as well.

Backroads likes this.
  3. MrTempest

MrTempest Companion

Feb 24, 2020

I agree with you about wanting to show cheating is not acceptable and that a zero can be detrimental to a student's grade. This is why if I catch a student cheating I still hold them accountable by giving them a chance to redo the assessment/assignment and then average it with the 0 they got from cheating. So the highest they could get is a 50, not great but still better than a zero.