So, what did YOU get your students for Christmas???

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by TeacherSandra, Dec 19, 2008.

1. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Dec 19, 2008

The tables are turned now...someone asked what our parents/students got us...so, I'm wondering...what did YOU get your students for Christmas??

3. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Dec 19, 2008

I give mine a free homework certificate. Free and easy!

4. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Dec 19, 2008

I gave a night of no homework in a subject of their choice and a jingle bell(about 2")

5. elizak83

elizak83 Companion

Dec 19, 2008

I made up little goodie bags with the following in them:
    -homework pass
    -holiday pencil
    -holiday eraser
    -candy
    -little mini notepad
    -holiday stencil

6. Beezus

Beezus Cohort

Dec 19, 2008

I gave each a book, a new box of crayons, a big jingle bell, and a bit of candy.
    :)

7. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Dec 20, 2008

I made personalized ornaments for them. It is a Catholic school so I can do that without worrying about what religion they are.

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 20, 2008

Everyone got a candycane, along with a Santa/Reindeer themed logic puzzle. (hey, I teach math :) )

In addition, kids in my homeroom got a magnet: "I'm Mrs. A's favorite student... just don't tell the other kids."

Kids in my classes got a "Get out of homework free" pass.

9. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Dec 20, 2008

Alice, where did you find the magnets?

I gave mine Christmas pencils, a book- Flat Stanley's Christmas, a book of Mad Libs, & bon bons wrapped in gold shiny paper. (They fell in love with them when we read The Nutcracker).

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 20, 2008

At vistaprint.com

11. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Dec 20, 2008

I am putting together a bag for them with hot coco, candy cane, a snowman pencil and winter activity book.

12. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Dec 20, 2008

A book (Christmas Penguin)
    Winter Pencil
    Winter Stamp
    Holiday Bookmark
    Reindeer paddle ball toy

13. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Dec 20, 2008

I got them each a copy of 'The Dog Who Saved Christmas', and we had a holiday breakfast, on which I spent a lot of money.

14. each1teach1

each1teach1 Cohort

Dec 20, 2008

Since I have 182 students, I can't actually BUY them all any thing because even if the item costs a quarter each, we're talking nearly 50 dollars. So I gave them a free day the last day before break. We all know how hard it is to concentrate the day before a break, so I let them watch Christmas with the simpsons (in spanish of course), while I graded their INBs.

15. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Dec 20, 2008

I love that!:D

16. smannes

smannes Companion

Dec 20, 2008

lots ... I bought most of what was in it but my assistant contributed 1 thing and so did the EC inclusion teacher.

-book
    -bookmark craft (from OT)
    -chocolate lollipop that I made
    -pencil
    -eraser
    -paddleball game thingy
    -winter theme 'tattoo'
    -plastic cup
    -packet of hot chocolate
    -crayons
    -markers
    -candy

I think that was it but I feel like I'm missing something.

17. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Dec 20, 2008

A book at their level (20 bonus pts each) and a candy cane. COuldn't give it to them b/c our last day was a snow day!! They will get it in Jan.

18. 1stGradeRocks

1stGradeRocks Comrade

Dec 20, 2008

They each got a dry erase board, dry erase board marker, Scholastic boook (Five Little Monkeys Jumping on the Bed), candy cane with a gummy candy attached, and a jingle bell necklace. I also bought the pizza and soda for a pizza party.

19. old-new teacher

old-new teacher Comrade

Dec 20, 2008

I gave each of mine a book (I got the 10 pack of Christmas chapter books from Scholastic with bonus points), a hot chocolate flavored lollipop, and a personalized angel ornament I got from Oriental Trading. I think I only spent about $1 per student since I was able to get the books with bonus points.

20. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Dec 20, 2008

A candy cane with a pencil and eraser, that I forgot to give them. Bell rang to early and we weren't cleaned up. I'll have to give them to them when we get back! They did get a bell, we read Polar Express.

21. New3rdTeacher

New3rdTeacher Comrade

Dec 20, 2008

I like the magnet idea
    I did that for their honor roll thing...They got a magnet that said, "I am a straight A student" :)

22. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Dec 20, 2008

The magnet idea is so cute~ they are all my favorite students :) :)

I had a party for them and invited their parents. I made a snowflake breakfast (cut tortillas grilled and sprinkled with powdered sugar). I had four crafts plus games and stories. I didn't give them individual gifts.

Interestingly, only one parent got to read a story. Then a kid asked to tell a joke, which snowballed into 30 minutes of kid after kid telling a joke or making up a riddle. They were so cute, listening to each other. I had to cut it off to send them to lunch!

23. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 21, 2008

Well, if I'm working w/ students at Christmas time, I usually buy doughnuts, cupcakes, or cookies for them & may bring a nice CD of Christmas music to play softly in the room for a while.

24. Sheila

Sheila Comrade

Dec 21, 2008

I bought them each a smelly pencil called a 'Smencil'. Our student council sells these and the kids go crazy for them.

25. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Dec 21, 2008

Ok the loot my kids got included:

a book (I had a collection of left over poetry books that Scholastic had sent as freebies as different times)
    a holiday pencil
    a holiday eraser
    the girls got High School Musical 2 Trivia Cards
    the boys got a light up spinning top
    candy (chocolate bells, peanut butter cups, peppermint nougats, caramels, candy cane, hershey kisses)

I forgot to put their paints in the bag (Crayola had sent me a box full of samples of some new product) so they will get them some other time this year.

I also bought hotdogs and buns for the party Friday and they had already gotten to have hot chocolate with strawberry and plain marshmallows on Thursday when we watched the Polar Express and snowcones on Wednesday to wrap up our "snow stories" segment.

26. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Dec 21, 2008

Those sound so festive Shelly!!! By any chance did you happen to take any pictures of them??? :wub:

27. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Dec 21, 2008

a book, a pencil, some erasers, tattoos, a yo-yo and some holiday porcupine characters, plus I paid for at least 5 different ornaments for them to make for their parents.

28. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Dec 21, 2008

A goodie bag w/Scholastics early reader I spy book in it along w/ a magnifing glass, a fake mustache, a pen and tiny notepad, a eyeball ball and a kalidoscope kit to make w/their family (out of a tp tube). The bag was fabric and had lots of tiny things to look at w/the magnifying glass. The were a hit. There was a note that explained the present to families.

29. Elena5

Elena5 Rookie

Dec 21, 2008

Wow, you all are very generous! Did the students appreciate the gifts? In the past when I've given students gifts I usually only get a few thank yous and a lot of ungratefulness. Whenever I've given pencils, erasers, bookmarks, etc. I usually find a bunch left lying on the floor, usually broken or somehow destroyed not long after I've given them out. If I give them candy or food the majority of the students immediately beg for more or complain that they like another flavor, color, etc.

This year I'm at a new school and was pleasantly surprised by the reaction to my gifts. It was only a holiday pencil, a colored pen, stickers, and a few pieces of candy, but they all thanked me and it seemed they genuinely appreciated the small gift.

30. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Dec 21, 2008

I only gave presents to my reading group which I see for 2 and a half hours a day. There are only seven of them. I dismantled my prize box from last year when I had kids who needed alot of reinforcement. All kids got a chapstick (mountain dew for the boys), a bookmark, a pencil (Batman or Hello Kitty) and something to play with or figit with depending on their developmental level. The oldest kids got wooden tic tac to sets I got from Target for 25 cents, the younger kids got paddleball and mini Uno and things like that. They all got a game where you have to pass a ball through a hoop.