So...What Did You Get for Christmas?!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Dec 26, 2010.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 26, 2010

I got...

$1000
    pajamas
    DVD of a TV show season
    store gift card
    cookies baked from scratch
    day planner/calendar
    spiral writing journal
    incense
    jarred pineapple & peaches

Not too bad! :)

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 26, 2010

How funny, I'm not sure I know...

2 pair of earings
    a gorgeous bracelet
    2 snowmen pillows
    a Frosty that sings and dances
    a HUGE snowglobe that plays music
    2 sweaters
    a skirt
    2 pair of slipper sox from Julia
    a fabric rose from Kira
    body lotion from Brian
    money from my mother in law and from my brother in law
    a wallet from my mom

The favorite gifts I gave were:
    2 American Girl dolls
    Brian's Kinect
    Peter's Kindle

I had SUCH a great time!!

4. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Dec 26, 2010

A woodwick candle from my son
    Pocket Farkle from his gf
    A college sweatshirt from my daughter
    An electronic key finder from my daughter ( I lose my keys a lot)
    A Cricut Expressions machine from my hubby:D:D
    Money from my mom
    Nothing from my MIL but that's nothing new...

5. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Dec 26, 2010

I got:
    Kindle
    Money
    Candy
    Pajamas (with black puppies on sleds! We are a black dog family)
    the most amazing slippers
    laptop accessories
    Kindle holder

Husband got:
    Giant toolbox with a bazillion drawers
    Sound eliminating earbuds
    Wireless mouse
    Money
    Candy
    Slippers
    Lounge pants
    Work gloves

I gave $50 gift cards to my student aid (he doesn't have much) and to another one of my students that is in great need (anonymously). My husband gave $200 in WalMart gift cards to a family (the husband lost his job and is ill, they are raising grandkids).

Had dinner at my mom's house with the entire family, everyone brought a couple of dishes so we had a TON of food. Laughed a lot and enjoyed seeing everyone. Played poker and rummy and drank margaritas.

Laughed and laughed, good times.

6. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Dec 26, 2010

A cricut...four cartridges
    a steam mop
    bracelet
    a watch
    an umbrella
    bath and body products
    gourmet chocolates
    and lots of little niknaks

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 26, 2010

At the moment: a cold.

(We'll do presents this evening, I think.)

8. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Dec 26, 2010

I received:
    A document camera
    Hardware to use Mouse Mischief with my class
    An extraordinary California reference book
    Hairband towels to keep my hair back and contained
    MAC green gel cleanser

The best thing I gave was a poster size framed picture I made for DH

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 26, 2010

GoldenPoppy, is that reference book about the state, or about education in this state?

10. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Dec 26, 2010

These two things require an explanation. I use special "clipless" pedals that require special shoes that mechanically attach to the pedal. Thus, whenever I want to ride my bike, I either have to change my shoes or install different pedals. These are "clipless" on one side and regular mtb pedals on the other.

[​IMG]

One of my bikes has "old fashioned" wheels that bolt on instead of using quick releases. So I need to always carry a 15mm wrench. But most 15mm wrenches are long and don't fit in my seat pack. The Park Tool SS-15, on the other hand, is short enough to fit in my bag and also works as a pedal wrench, a tire lever, and, best of all, A BOTTLE OPENER!

[​IMG]

11. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 26, 2010

Ooo: Sarge got bike toys!

12. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Dec 26, 2010

It's about the state. It's called A State of Change Forgotten Landscapes of California by Laura Cunningham. DH bought it for me since he knows that I'm always looking for more background materials for my geography/history lessons.

I've been playing with it and the document camera this morning. The document camera can take pictures, so I've been incorporating new images into the Powerpoints that I'm working on.

13. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Dec 26, 2010

Terp- what in the world is a Pocket Farkle?

Teachergroupie- I hope you feel better! I got some virus on Christmas Eve and spent the whole evening falling asleep as people opened gifts at my parents' house. I skipped the celebration yesterday because I was still feeling miserable. But, at least I don't have to worry about gaining a ton of weight from Christmas!

The gift I think I am most excited about is my new griddler/panini press and some new healthy cookbooks. I am also very grateful that I had two big Donorschoose projects funded last week!

The best gift I gave was a snow thrower to my dad... last year with all the crazy snow we got, I thought it would be useful since he blew his Achilles Tendon this year (he still has very limited mobility). I was hoping that with this big snowstorm he would get to try it out today, but they just dropped our weather advisory, so he may have to wait!

14. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Dec 26, 2010

I had such a fun Christmas yesterday! This is what I got:
    -DVDs (seasons 1-4 of Friday Night Lights, seasons 2-3 of My Boys and the movie Romona and Beezus)
    -Books (a couple of informational books on Laura Ingalls Wilder, the Cake Boss book and an historical fiction book)
    -A set of 101 cookie cutters
    -A little set to make candy
    -Mini-cupcake machine which is so cool!
    -A couple of DS games (Sim City Creator and the newest Professor Layton game)
    -An adorable life-size Charlie Brown Christmas tree
    -Some Peanut Butter M&Ms and few other pieces of candy
    -Gorilla tape (since I used all of my duct tape taping my bumper up after I hit a deer last month)
    -A scrath-off lottery ticket
    -Tooth-brushes
    -A $40 Target Giftcard
    -A flashlight (which is in the shape of a long stick) that glows green and a little flashlight

I gave:
    -My mom--two shirts, a Biggest Loser calendar, a a Biggest Loser dvd (both those she asked for), a book that she wanted and Scrabble Slam
    -My dad--a flashlight/radio combo that can be cranked, a neck pillow (which he wanted so his head doesn't fall over when he naps in his chair) and a frying pan (which I got a nut box from work so that I could wrap it and not have him figure out what it was!)
    -My brothers--I got them each a long-sleeved t-shirt and one a dress shirt and the other a hoodie

Also I did just about all of the shopping and wrapping for my mom from my dad, except for one thing which ended-up being the funniest part of Christmas! He told me he got her a litter bag (because she wanted a nice littler bag for her new car) and I never saw it because he wanted to wrap it himself. Well, my mom opens up the present and there's those hooks that you can easily stick to the wall and remove from the wall. Then my dad goes and there's a litter bag in there, too, and underneath it was a K-mart bag My mom looked in it, but that was the litter bag! We were all laughing hysterically for about five-minutes!

15. carlea

carlea Comrade

Dec 26, 2010

Gifts that I received:
    10 books!!
    2 Wii games
    money
    homemade frame ornaments, pictures, & cookies from my nieces
    gift cards

The best gift that I gave:
    3 books & a bookmark, Zhu Zhu pets track, and two shirts to my 8 year old niece. She was so excited about it all since all of these things were on her list. My husband told her that he picked out the shirts and she looked at him and said, "Yeah, right. You don't have style." :lol:

16. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Dec 26, 2010

That was SO nice of you guys!!! :)

DVD/VCR player
    new clutch for the car
    new water pump for the car
    pots and pans--yea!!!
    tupperware---yea!!
    movie
    slippers
    hair dryer
    subway gift card
    jc penney gift cards
    rental car for my trip up to northern az for a conference next week--yea!!

17. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Dec 26, 2010

Roo, I've seen those mini cupcake makers and thought they look fun. Enjoy it! With two kids in the house I decided the quantity made at a time is just too small to be practical for us.

I got
    cash (that I was told to spend on me and not be practical with)
    Kitchen Aid stand mixer
    a book
    lotion and shower gel
    calendar made with photos my dad has taken
    a case of wine
    and the gift that will last all year - a monthly visit by a cleaning lady - sooooo happy with this one :) This is also my birthday gift for the year

Best gifts my children got from us or family
    Wii and 6 games
    American Girl doll
    spending time with their uncle who has lived either in Oregon, Thailand or Hawaii for the last 5 years and will most likely move to China in March

American

18. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Dec 26, 2010

My daughter gave me a wonderful gift this year.

I would like to walk more - but I get bored. And i am trying to walk more often to and from the train (I take a train and bus to school - though the distance to the school - from my house- doesn't seem that it would merit a train and bus, my car gets terrible gas mileage. Doing the numbers, taking public transportation saves me about 40-60% a month - depending on if I ride the bus or walk from the station).

My daughter got me an arm-band radio that includes AM radio. i LOVE talk radio. I don't have an MP3 player- and don't really care to - but I would LOVE to hear my favorite talk show hosts on my walks.

THIS year, she really listened to me as I talked about what I would like. In the past she would guess - and OFTEN times didn't guess well.

I LOVE my gift. And it'll help my health as well.

I couldn't afford to give her ANYTHING this year - but the grocery store (my side job) had a promotion where you collected stamps (liek the old S&H Green Stamps) and you could buy professional cookware for $.01 each. So I talked to EVERYONE and worked to get my district some kitchen and grocery goods that they needed so that i could get the stamps. I earned her the entire set (8 pieces) of cookware for her hope chest.
    I am also going to pay for her to join me - for 2 months - at Weight Watchers. we tried to do it on our own - but we need the discipline of a weigh in and the education of the meetings.

For my son - I made him a huge batch of the cookies he loved the most from childhood - minus the green food coloring which would turn his teeth green.
    And I also gave him.....grace. He owes me quite a bit of money - and was avoiding communication because he thought that I would *hate* him for not paying me back faster. He finally called and i explained that I love him - and no debt or problems will keep me from loving him as much as ever. He's my son - and I love him. The relief in his voice was priceless.

19. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Dec 26, 2010

Aw, McKenna, what wonderful gifts.

And remind me again, are you in a "regular" job now or is it LTS?

20. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Dec 26, 2010

McKenna, I hope that you and your kids have a wonderful year. Reading about your Christmas brought tears to my eyes and made my list of gifts I was about to type seem a little petty. Ya'll are very lucky to have each other. :hugs:

21. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Dec 26, 2010

I got:
    a TV for the bedroom
    gift card to my fav rest. (Olive Garden)
    a watch
    necklace/earring set
    picture of the in laws (we don't have of them together so this was great!)
    and my fav gift: an American flag that was flown over the Capitol of DC on the day my mom died in her memory.

I gave:
    Zhu Zhu pets for my daughter
    pots/pans for one niece
    photo collage for my other niece
    clothes and Color Explosion for my nephew

22. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Dec 26, 2010

Farkle is a dice game with 5 die. Pocket Farkle is a little cup with 5 little dice. I keep it in my purse!

23. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Dec 26, 2010

a beautiful topaz necklace from my husband, tickets to see a broadway show, a magazine subscription, fuzzy socks, bath salts and a foot and neck massager.

from family: earrings, a scarf, candles, WII game, sweater and tank top.

My MIL went overboard: cookbook, clarisonic, cookbook, a flip camera (for my husband and I) a little bag filled with lots of goodies from sephora and our last name inital, it is big and brass and looks great on our glass shelves. We get to pick out a picture from a local artist where they live for our house.

24. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Dec 26, 2010

Thanks! I'm excited to try it...especially some of the non-cupcake recipes that is can make, like quiches, biscuits and mini-pies! I can see how it only being able to make eight little cupcakes (or whatever else) at a time would not be enough for a family of four, though.

25. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Dec 26, 2010

Dh got me some earrings I found on Etsy. They are not just any earrings, however. They are the 8-point hot pink light-up earings Jerrica wears/touches when she wants to turn in to Jem. I love them, even though they are really heavy from the LED lights in them. My in-laws gave me some spending money for Disney. Mom and Dad paid for our Disney tickets/flights out here. Light, yet meaningful, Christmas.

I gave dh a fireplace that matches/goes in our bedroom perfectly. I gave mom/dad/brother/dh matching Disney pajamas. I gave my inlaws car organizers they requested and will be getting them a car cover for their Mini after the break.

26. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Dec 26, 2010

I got a Victoria's Secret Robe from my mom. She said she knew it was something I would never buy for myself.
    Dad gives cash. :)
    DD1 gave me a pendent from a craft show,a red stone wrapped with gold wire.
    DD2 gave me an Old Navy fleece pullover.
    DD and SIL gave me the best gift ever...they showed up on Christmas Eve for a surprise visit with my grandson. We had planned on leaving today to go to their house.They are still here because of the snow. Oh and an herb garden too!
    MIL and FIL gave me a silver initial bracelet.
    DH gave me a gift card to Lowe's. We used it today to buy supplies for the bathroom remodel.

I gave:
    My mom-pearls
    My dad-clothes
    DD1 new cell phone, clothes,and shoes
    DD2 Flip camera, clothes and shoes
    DD and SIL-Comforter set and print for their bedroom.
    FIL-Clothes
    MIL 3 Lennox frames for the wedding photos of the 3 grandchildren who married this year.

27. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Dec 26, 2010

I got:

Gucci throw for my couch
    Money
    Ornament
    Angel figurine
    Coffee
    Necklace

28. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Dec 26, 2010

I got a nook color...I'm actually typing on it now
    Gift cards
    a cool scanner wand...need to open that up
    socks
    Makeup
    .....christmas with my family :D

29. Chrissteeena

Chrissteeena Companion

Dec 26, 2010

Julius and I got:
    From my parents
    A new crock pot
    A electric griddle (I can't wait to make pancakes!!)
    A canister set - 7 of them

My aunt and uncle got us
    A cherry wood salad bowl and mixing forks and 4 small salad bowls to go with it
    My grandparents got us

New shower curtain, towels and bath rugs for the small bathroom

His parents gave us
    $100

My Grandma got us
    She got a photo of us framed
    A holiday table cloth for our marble table and christmas cloth napkins… i guess we're hosting christmas next year LOL

I got
    A personalized mug from his parents
    A gift card to yankee candle from my parents
    A tens machine for my bad arm from my parents

Julius got
    Personalized business card holder for his pocket and desk from his parents
    A gift gard to best buy from my parents

For gifts we gave
    His mom got a gift card to pier 1 and cash to put towards a new bag she wanted

We got his step father a leather office chair

My dad got the book Decision Points and a 4 set of christmas DVD's (he only owns them on VHS and I figured it was time to upgrade since they don't own a VHS player anymore)

We got my Mom the Wii fit + balance board

We got my sister the nook

30. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Dec 26, 2010

I got a Scooby Doo book from DS2, a hand made flowerpot from DS3, and a cookie jar from DS1. Other than that, I got nothing material.

I had a wonderful Christmas, enjoying the holiday with my boys. From opening their presents to going out to the dike to break in the new snow toys, the day was just perfect. :) That's the best gift I could have received. :wub:

31. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Dec 26, 2010

I'm pretty practical, and everybody knows it . . . as you can probably tell from the things I got!

• $100 in Wal-Mart gift cards
    • $209.50 in cash--The odd amount is because $109.50 was in change. One of my presents has always been the change my parents collected during the year.
    • a carbon monoxide detector
    • a cordless drill/screwdriver
    • heavy duty pruners
    • a wallet
    • candy, nuts, underwear & a $20 Zynga game card to fuel my FB gaming addiction

I also got an exercise bike, but it wasn't an official present. My FIL bought it after he had heart surgery, but he only used it for a mile day for a little over a year. MIL tried it once, and she fell off and broke her wrist. It's been sitting in her house serving as a place to hang clothes. She asked if I wanted it. It looks like brand new.

32. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Dec 26, 2010

I finally got a replacement for my lost wedding ring. Ugh, I have waited years for it to "turn up." Now I hope the rule about finding something only after you replace it will be true!

My new ring is a white gold band with three princess cut diamonds and four princess cut rubies. No, not my birth stone, I just LOVE red.
    [​IMG]

I gave some telescope accessories to my husband; a new set of pots and pans for the whole family; a barbie camper to one girl; and a rock climber RC truck to the other.

33. Teacher_Lady

Teacher_Lady Rookie

Dec 26, 2010

I got

a new tv for my bedroom (DH's cat ate the power cord to my old one)
    speakers for my Droid
    a photo printer so I can finally print pictures of my baby
    2 glove and scarf sets
    2 yankee candles
    a rice cooker/food steamer
    picture frames
    $20 gift card to Barnes and Noble
    Cash
    Snowmen earings and decorations
    Tons of toys and clothes for the baby (he's the first grandchild on both sides)

and the best present of all....
    my son rolled over for the first time tonight. I was so afraid that I was going to miss it if he did it while I was at work.

I gave
    pictures of the baby in his santa suit to my grandparents
    collage picture frame to my mom (she really wanted a new one)
    really soft sleep pants for my dad
    pants, underwear, belt, slippers, beanie, mp3 earbuds, candy, peanuts, toothbrush, and xbox live 12 month membership for DH
    pizza pan for sister
    champagne and champagne glasses for brother (he just got married 3 days before Christmas, so I got them something to toast the new year as man and wife)
    knife set for MIL
    wallet for FIL
    "birdseed" snack mix in jars for all along with my famous monster cookies

34. teach'ntx

teach'ntx Comrade

Dec 26, 2010

I got clothes to teach in. After almost 14 years in consulting/business positions, the suit and high heel wardrobe did not transfer well to sitting on the floor teaching second grade. I now have comfortable slacks, flats, and tops. My DH and MIL did very well :)
    Best gift given was on Christmas Eve to my DH for his birthday. I have planned two separate daddy/daughter dates for him. He and youngest will be enjoying a pizza buffet at his favorite pizza joint next week (and at 2, this girl can eat more pizza than many adults). The older one will be taking him to an IHL (Hockey Minor League) game. Included in their date package was the tickets, parking, and money for snacks. I am not sure who was smiling more when he opened the present, my DH or my DD.
    Compared to that he got boring Christmas presents (Wii and DS games).

35. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Dec 26, 2010

McKennal, I love the gift you gave your daughter. It was such a gift of love. We try to keep our gift-giving simple, but thoughtful. My DD2 uses her food stamps to buy creative items and makes a lovely gift bag of goodies for us. My SIL made beer for my husband. Thoses gifts from the heart are so wonderful to us.

36. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Dec 27, 2010

I got some earrings and a necklace, a couple of pieces of Fiesta ware, pajamas, a coffee cup, an art kit, and some work clothes.

I was much more excited to give than receive this year. My mom's face lights up like a little kid when she gets her presents every year.

37. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Dec 27, 2010

I got time with my great-aunt and great-uncle who lived across the street from me when I was growing up and were more like an extra set of grandparents.

What was under the tree is irrelevant. Spending time with loved ones was my greatest gift.

38. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Dec 27, 2010

My daughter gave me a poem, "I love you the Reddest," modeled on the book I Love You the Purplest. My other daughter sang "Pocketful of Sunshine" on our karaoke machine. I gave them a story about the baby Jesus being the only baby born whom everyone agreed was perfect just as he was; and then told them I felt the same about them, and still do.

39. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Dec 27, 2010

I gave:

DH: Gun cabinet, a hunting/fishing license for 2011, and a water backpack thingy that he hunts with (can you tell what his hobby is?)
    DD1: Her favorites are probably a paper airplane folding kit, and we got a phone for our house (no land line) that we put her name on so it is "hers"
    DD2: Mindflex (watching her play that is HILARIOUS) and Paper Jamz
    DS1: He got several toys, but his favorite by far is...the boxes and wrapping paper...
    My Mom and my MIL: A charm bracelet with the grandkids' birthstones
    FIL: A new fishing pole since his broke last summer
    Stepdad: One piece long underwear with a flap in the back, slippers, and a leopard print Snuggie :lol:
    BIL 1: Underarmour sweatshirt
    BIL/SIL: Lawn chairs--the no gravity ones, or whatever they are called...they're great, I know that!
    Sister/BIL: Don't know yet (we'll exchange gifts in a couple weeks when we see them)...probably something for their trip to Daytona in February
    Nephew 1: Netflix
    Nephew 2: Airhog helicopter

I got...
    Kindle
    Droid
    Pajamas/Robe
    Dock for iPod
    Money

...a whole lot of kisses and hugs, and a "this is the best day EVER!"

:)

40. gigi

gigi Groupie

Dec 27, 2010

I got a wonderful day with my family, lots of fun and laughter. Priceless.
    I also got a Nook, perfume, gift certificate to my favorite store, a picture frame, clothes, crock pot, and our gift to each other a flat screen TV for the living room.

41. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Dec 27, 2010

It was a wonderful Nebraska Christmas for me! I got a Huskers sweatshirt, and a Huskers long sleeve tee shirt! Yeah!!!My hubby also bought me a Cabela's gift card since we are going there in February.
    I also got: a purple flannel shirt, a purse, and the Glee CD's from my son;
    5 books, a kohl's gift card, fake Ugg boots (yeah!), a nightshirt and socks!
    I had a wonderful Christmas!
    My favorite gift I gave was the Nebraska Huskers hat I bought my husband. I have converted him. And, I gave my niece a Hot pot for her dorm room.